• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which bullet is the Sierra 77 grain Tipped MatchKing and which bullet is . . .

Molon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
. . . the 77 grain tipped bullet from American Bullet Company.

american-bullet-company-vs-sierra-tipped-matchking-002.jpg

Have you weighed them? I assumed that ABC was selling the SMK rejects / seconds but would be curious to know how "bad" they are for Sierra to offload them to ABC for sale.

Reactions: FWoo45
I'll go with the one on the right being the ABC tipped offering.

When do we learn the truth?

Sierra on the right.

Sierra on the left. My match kings usually have those light score marks near the top like that.

My confidence level is very high that the Sierra is on the right.

I assumed that ABC was selling the SMK rejects / seconds but would be curious to know how "bad" they are for Sierra to offload them to ABC for sale.

Creedmoor claims that these bullets "are all first run bullets, with no blems or seconds."

There is a bit of noticeable gap on the tip for the right hand side. Only thing that matters is what happens downrange, tho.

Reactions: lash
Creedmoor claims that these bullets "are all first run bullets, with no blems or seconds."

Ah I see they are now offering their seconds and first run bullets too, supposedly, color me sceptical for now.

Ah I see they are now offering their seconds and first run bullets too, supposedly, color me sceptical for now.
They don't need your business anyways . :rolleyes:

What the hell, I'll take Sierra on the right for 1000 Alex....

Reactions: lash
Bullit on the left looks like all of the sierras I’ve had with a semi translucent appearance with an air bubble inside

If you look at the tip to bullet body interface closely, the fit of the right hand one kinda sucks. May shoot ok…dunno. But that fit doesn’t impress.

I’m say Sierra on the left for that reason.

If you look at the tip to bullet body interface closely, the fit of the right hand one kinda sucks. May shoot ok…dunno. But that fit doesn’t impress.

I’m say Sierra on the left for that reason.
Maybe irrelevant here, but we used to get free 223 - 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings from an ammo maker, came in 3000 ct boxes. Every box had close to 10 with tips bent like the nose of the Concorde plane, and I saved them.
Once I had close to 50, I loaded them as usual, and a friend and I shot them at 400 yards. Not at all what I expected, I was expecting wild fliers like shooting off a 50 cent roman candle on the fourth of July. They impacted the same location as normal rds. I would have shot these in any prairie dog town.
Mine a single incident scenario, but I never bought the burning tip shit of amax's from hornady.

That said, tips are inserted, Sierra on the right, left one looks phony, like heated up.

Well the one on the right looks like the 77 TMK's I have, so yea.

I agree with those that say they are both Sierra TMKs.

As far as I know... ABC has contracts with Sierra for over-runs so these are regular TMKs purchased in bulk and repackaged.

Reactions: lash and simonp
The bullet on the left is from Creedmoor/American Bullet Company. The bullet on the right is from Sierra.

Damn that bullet on the left is a dead ringer for the Sierra's I have on hand. The translucence of the tip and the vertical lines in the jacket ahead of the ogive.

Fooled me.

Might have to order a box & give them a try.

So it pretty much shakes out that they are essentially the same and that variations like the two above are both available directly from Sierra or buy them from ABC. No diff.

Damn you people… I just bought 700 of these TMK’s…. Great price!