• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which bullpup for 2 gun?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Before you say none, please hear me out. I've been a bolt gun guy my whole life and I've wanted a steyr aug since I've been a kid but I don't shoot enough semi-auto to care enough about buying one.

Now my wife would like to do some 2gun run and gun matches. We aren't going to be competitive, but to just have fun.

Part of me wants to grab an AUG cause I always wanted one, but I recognize that the tavor and hellion are more modern designs with better triggers and accuracy.

My question is, are they that much better? With hand loads can an AUG get under 2moa and actually hit a target out to 400 yards?

I don't know the target sizes for 2 gun events, but I'm worried if they are 2moa like they are in PRS, I would struggle so much that it wouldn't even be fun, at which point a modern bullpup may be the better choice.

I have a Tavor and I love it, but life is short, if you want the AUG then go for it.

Gotta agree with Bob, I have the X95, love it and I haven’t used an AR since I got it. However the Aug is one of those you never really see anywhere so if that’s your jam, get one.

I like the AUG immensely. Little heavier feel than a Tavor, very solid. Highly recommend a Lantac Dragon muzzle break. Easily sight track a red dot on rapid fire.

I have an x95 and absolutely love it. But go with the Steyr if that is your thing.

all 11 + million guns that I do not yet currently own and every day almost that list just keeps getting larger , I really should own one or two of all of them . but now realize that dream will probibaly not come true ... I'm a so sad .

• Haha
Reactions: Schütze
Had a Hellion briefly, and liked it alot. 0 spare parts available from Springfield. If there’s one tging I’ve learned from competition, shit will break eventually.
I have an AUG, it is fantastic. Go for it. PM me for any questions about mods or aftermarket.

if its your only semi auto sport utility rifle then you’ll learn the manual of arms fine.

crossing back and forth to a normal rifle might prove problematic

as a lefty, i have a hard enough time going between my ambi’s and standard ones. i’ve learn how to use right handed ar’s so much the ambi controls seem foreign. i find myself not even using the ambi bolt latch at times.

I’ve had a couple AUGs and Tavors… they’re kind of cool and all, but their triggers are shit. At some point I decided that I no longer care about guns with shitty triggers (especially for gun games), so they’re long gone.

I know nothing about the Hellion except that it has a dumb name, it’s a bullpup, and made by Springfield… and that’s enough.

:p

Reactions: tucaz and Tx_Aggie
I’ve had a couple AUGs and Tavors… they’re kind of cool and all, but their triggers are shit. At some point I decided that I no longer care about guns with shitty triggers (especially for gun games), so they’re long gone.

I know nothing about the Hellion except that it has a dumb name, it’s a bullpup, and made by Springfield… and that’s enough.
The ‘shit’ trigger for AUGs is so simple to address. Ratworx 2020 sear $100.

Reactions: tucaz
The ‘shit’ trigger for AUGs is so simple to address. Ratworx 2020 sear $100.

Nope, turning a shitty trigger into a not-quite-as-shitty-but-still-awful trigger isn't my idea of an upgrade.

The problem with these guns is that, while cool and different, at the end of the day they're not cheap and afternarket support is weak, and any ~$400 AR with a top shelf Hiperfire in it is going to be a much better 2-gun blaster... by a lot.

But, if one just wants one/both because they think they're cool, that's fine, because they are pretty cool.

Have you used the 2020 trigger? For a general purpose carbine, it’s good. That is what it’s made for.

Have you used the 2020 trigger? For a general purpose carbine, it’s good. That is what it’s made for.

No, but unless it's ~2lbs and breaks like a glass rod and has a sick reset, I don't need to.

"General purpose carbine"... da fuq? Why would anyone want to spend their hard-earned money on "general purpose" when they can have "fucking awesome" for the same money or less..?

I honestly like the quirky bullpups from a collector's point of view, that's why I've had more than a few, but they're a poor choice for 2-gun or any other kind of gun games where fit, function, and performance can be tailored to one's needs and/or wants.

I'd recommend custom building an AR or PCC from the ground up starting with a Hiperfire Reflex/Eclipse.

So first off there are two AUG versions the original and the nato version. There are some very minor differences but most importantly is the mags, Nato version uses AR mags and I'm not sure if magpul drums work or not. The original steyr version has 30 round and 42 round factory mags. There are some youtube videos out there worth watching that cover the other differences. I like my AUG and it shoots 77grain ammo well 55 grain not so much but acceptable to 300 if I need it. The picture highlights the hypocrisy of GC. With the original tulip flashhider on it, it almost has what could be described as negative muzzle flip. It's super fun to shoot, and pretty impressive for being a 1970 design.

Attachments

• IMG_2167.png
    IMG_2167.png
    853.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Reactions: Kamerad
No, but unless it's ~2lbs and breaks like a glass rod and has a sick reset, I don't need to.

"General purpose carbine"... da fuq? Why would anyone want to spend their hard-earned money on "general purpose" when they can have "fucking awesome" for the same money or less..?

I honestly like the quirky bullpups from a collector's point of view, that's why I've had more than a few, but they're a poor choice for 2-gun or any other kind of gun games where fit, function, and performance can be tailored to one's needs and/or wants.

I'd recommend custom building an AR or PCC from the ground up starting with a Hiperfire Reflex/Eclipse.

Well that‘s neat. Mixing bullpups and preening about 2lb glass rod triggers tells me you don‘t know what you‘re talking about.

Reactions: TheOE800
I have reliably hit targets at 500m with my stock 20" AUG. Personally I think the whole trigger debate is blown out of proportion. Sure the trigger is not comparable to an AR but it is consistent, so with some practice you will get used to it. (the Steyr spring set also helps)
Also (and I am not sure if that is true), I heard that the trigger bar on the nato stock had to be modified to fit ar mags and that is also why it has a worse trigger than the standard AUG.

Well that‘s neat. Mixing bullpups and preening about 2lb glass rod triggers tells me you don‘t know what you‘re talking about.

If you’re try to tell peeps a bullpup is good for 2-gun or any other gun games… pretty sure it’s you who might not know what is what.

If you’re try to tell peeps a bullpup is good for 2-gun or any other gun games… pretty sure it’s you who might not know what is what.
OP stated he wants to do 2-gun for fun. Why would a bullpup be bad in that case?

OP stated he wants to do 2-gun for fun. Why would a bullpup be bad in that case?

Whether just for fun, or trying to become the best out there, putting in the time and effort to shoot matches while putting yourself at a disadvantage from the start isn’t the most fun way to go about it IMHO.

With a bullpup one is immediately at a disadvantage, especially when it comes to trigger quality and reloads, versus other competitors not running bullpups too.

That said, different strokes for different folks, there’s probably some guy out there shooting USPSA with a Hi-Point, and if he’s having fun, good for him.

The Hellion is new and I can't say anything about it. As a Tavor owner, parts/barrels are a nightmare. I have a legacy SAR and there are no replacement parts aside form a couple old stock bits and bobs lying around, same for X95 barrels. The Tavor 7 is the hotness now i guess.

I like the AUG less (have not used the Ratworx trigger) but it seems to have more barrels and whatnot available. Grow your hair out if you get one though.

Die-Hard-AUG-1024x432.jpg

None. Buy an AUG though.

The AUG has a few trigger options these days besides just the 20/20 sear and is adjustable from the factory. There is plenty of other aftermarket support too.

Eventually the VHS2 will have more support and is a better shooting rifle than the AUG, small people need not apply.

putting yourself at a disadvantage from the start isn’t the most fun way to go about it IMHO.

I mean... I shoot IDPA with a 6 round 45 GAP... so I am known to do shit just because the gun makes me happy. PRS is my main gig, trying a 2gun match is just to shoot more and hopefully have another style of shooting to enjoy with my wife. I don't think a new semi is in the cards this year, but hopefully in the spring I will snag an AUG.

Reactions: CK1.0 and Kamerad
The 69gr ADI works well out of an AUG, so reloads copying that should be okay. Pray that you have no support side stages in your matches. Wrap a bandana or shemagh around your head if they do.

Heres mine with a new 15" barrel. But as an Austrian I am clearly biased towards the AUG. :D

Attachments

• signal-2023-05-27-14-41-19-980.jpg
    signal-2023-05-27-14-41-19-980.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 40
  • Love
Heres mine with a new 15" barrel. But as an Austrian I am clearly biased towards the AUG. :D
I purchased a 20” barrel recently, and it made for a very soft shooter compared to the 16”. How do you like the 15?

I like the concept of bullpups. It's just the shooting/using of them that always turns me off.
OP, if you want an AUG, get an AUG. Have fun, do what you want. Just know that there are a lot of valid reasons you almost never see them in any form of competition. Reloads, weak side use, difficult barricade use, typically less than amazing accuracy, not awesome triggers, lack of easy to source spare parts or aftermarket upgrades.
Any one of those things alone isn't a huge deal. All of them combined pretty much take them out of the running for anyone taking the sport very seriously.
If you're not taking it seriously and like bullpups, don't let any of those things keep you from buying what you want.

Have you owned one?
Yes, and with proper TLC the newer generations (we're on technically gen 4 iirc, ~nov 2021 production onwards) are just fine. I use mine which is a 2020 production MDRX in 2-gun with a 20" 308 barrel.

@SquarePizza I would seriously consider the MDRX micron if you're already considering the tavor and aren't averse to the paperwork, or even the 16" 5.56

I won't lie and say there haven't been past QC issues with it, but those seem to have been sorted as of this writing. There are a few things to make sure to do to one when you get it, mostly how you seat up a conversion kit and making sure to check and lubricate certain parts.