• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which Butler Creeks for a Razor HD?

Re: Which Butler Creeks for a Razor HD?

IIRC, It's 19 for the eyepiece. The objective is not as straightforward. 43 was pretty snug. If I soaked it in hot water, it would go on but very tight and stretched out and didn't open and close right. 44 on my scope fits loose, but a couple wraps of masking tape on the objective and it works just fine.

LoneWolfUSMC just bought a 44 and it fit fine. B&C may have made an adjustment or mfg. change...

John

Thanks, I was definitely about to get an 18 and 43 but will now be going with a 19 and 44.

Must say that while Butler Creek caps are better than the "native" ones - I didn't see (no pun intended
wink.gif
) a significant improvement. To me they both are, er, barely adequate.

Why aren't you using the caps that came with the scope?

I currently am. I should have stated that. The problem is with the objective cap. The spring isn't strong enough to keep it up so it flaps around. I don't like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why aren't you using the caps that came with the scope? </div></div>

The quality of the supplied caps is at more of a Tasco level than a $2000 scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then what would you recommend if not the Butler Creek caps? I could really use a pair of caps for my Razor.</div></div>
I really don't know, that's the problem.

The native pair sucks, Butler Creek pair sucks. I haven't tried "scope sock" or whatever that thing is - but it may not work with the shade installed...

If you do find something useful - don't hesitate to post it here.

Mouse,

What about the BC's do you not like?

The rear is a *bit* loose on mine, but functions perfectly. The front is a little tough to persuade open, but other than that works very well.

I've NEVER seen flipcaps that were outstanding.

John

I ended up modifying the stock cap. I don't like running the rear cap so I didn't touch that one.

On the front cap, push out the pivot pin. You will see the coil spring that keeps the cap open. On the scope side, there is a notch for the spring leg, take your dremel tool and cut a new notch to increase the tension on the cap. You will only be able to get an additional 90 degrees. 180 is too much to try to wind the spring. Then reassemble the cap. With an additional 90 degrees, it puts about the same amount of tension as the Butler Creek.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the BC's do you not like?

The rear is a *bit* loose on mine, but functions perfectly. The front is a little tough to persuade open, but other than that works very well.</div></div>
Considering what functions these are supposed to perform - it's a bit hard to fail the req's, y'know...
wink.gif

But you nailed the problem right - they're somewhat loose, enough to feel flimsy and be uncomfortable. I've no problem persuading them to open - but they're quite hard to persuade to <span style="text-decoration: underline">stay</span> open. Similar to the native caps, slightly less bad.

If not flipcaps - as I haven't seen decent ones either - what <span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span> our alternatives (short of keeping the glass uncovered)?

Retoocs, thanks - I think I'll try your method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but they're quite hard to persuade to <span style="text-decoration: underline">stay</span> open. Similar to the native caps, slightly less bad.</div></div>

Interesting. I have NO problem with this. Where'd you get them? I'd be calling somebody if they didn't stay open.

John

Edit: I know that some guys like the bikini covers, but I'm not a big fan. Plus, they often won't work with a sunshade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting. I have NO problem with this. Where'd you get them? I'd be calling somebody if they didn't stay open.</div></div>
I got them from MidwayUSA. Now I may have exaggerated a bit - they don't really <span style="text-decoration: underline">close</span> on me, just flip when I shoot and occasionally flip far enough down into my field of vision interfering with calling and following up the shot.

Yeah, sunshade is my concern with bikini too... Oh well...

I use the stock flip cap from vortex on the objective and a butler creek 20 on the eyepiece. I don't think I could fit a 19 on the eye piece and I couldn't find something that would work on the objective. The one from vortex fits fine, and I'll probably mod the spring like retoocs described..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Missionmtman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently am. I should have stated that. The problem is with the objective cap. The spring isn't strong enough to keep it up so it flaps around. I don't like that. </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">Missionmtman</span>,

Since you say <span style="font-style: italic">"The spring isn't strong enough to keep it up so it flaps around"</span> I take it that you have the "hinge" of the Objective cover at the 12 O'Clock position. I used to do that with my BC Flip Opens, but not anymore.

Do you alternate shooting left and right-handed? If not, a good "work-around" is to orient the "hinge" to either 3 O'Clock (for right-handed shooter) or 9 O'Clock (for left-handed shooter). This will also orient both of the "ears" on the cap on the weak hand side, allowing you to pop the cap off easier when prone, as well as reducing the chance that the cap will block the objective lens under recoil. The wind is another story. See photos below for example.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PMII 5-25X w/USO ARD in Mark 4 High (1.06") rings, Tac Ops Two-Piece 40 MOA base over Tac Ops Heavy Contour barrel:</span></span>
X-Ray51CBwODRingsRS45Angle28x6.jpg

X-Ray51CBwODRingsRSProfileFF8x6.jpg

X-Ray51CBwODRingsLSProfileFF8x6.jpg

Keith