• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which cal for 20 in build

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
I want to build a 20 in gun for my all around rig. I am going to build it with a stout profile barrel but not a ball bat diameter. Something like a rem varmint but deep deep flute it. Here is the kicker. I want to build it in one of these calibers. 243, 6x47 lap 243ai 260 or 6.5x47 lap. (maybe 6.5 creed?)I will shoot this one at everything. Coyotes, ground hogs, deer, maybe a hog hunt in the future. Which of these will be the most efficient given the short barrel length? I plan to twist it for heavy bullets. 105-115s in the 6 and mostly 120ish in the 6.5. I would load 85 grs in the 6 for varmints coyotes ect. I would load 90ish in the 6.5 for the same but the bigger bullets for deer long range steel ect. Quick load shows I can get to almost 3000 with the 105s in a 243. Anyone have experience with this type of set. I know there are a ton of 308 that are built short for fighting rifles but you don't see many 6s of 6.5s. I am sure this is b/c they really shine with a longer tube.
Thanks
T

Re: Which cal for 20 in build

I understand these are all good rounds in their own right. But, I am most concerned with the length of barrel issue. Which one of these will perform the best in the short barrel?
Thanks
T

I was wondering the same thing but I was wanting a .223AI with a 20" Rock 5R barrel. Just wondering if it would work ok with the 20" length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncyotecaller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering the same thing but I was wanting a .223AI with a 20" Rock 5R barrel. Just wondering if it would work ok with the 20" length. </div></div>

20" AR's work great, why wouldn't a bolt gun?

I kinda thought so
wink.gif
I plan on putting together an 18" 223AI with a 1-8" twist soon, should be fun...

Todd- Get some guidance from someone who knows what the hell he is talking about (this thread contains NOTHING of the sort).

If you do not reload, getting your planned rifle to shoot well will be pissing in the wind.

I have been working up a similar project with a 22.5" 7wsm. You are going to lose out on a pile of the advantage these otherwise great cartridges provide due to the short barrel. The question is, does the gain in ballistic performance outweigh the lose of velocity. I suggest using a 20" 308 as the benchmark.

Be prepared to play around with a lot of different loads to get the performance to an acceptable level. If you fail--WHO CARES?? Its only a freakin barrel!!

Good luck.

I would love to know the results of the 7wsm. I have one in a 24 barrel. I can get 2950ish from it with 162 amaxes and stuffed in retumbo. Shoots like a house a fire and weighs 8 lbs all up. It is a bone stock abolt. It is my favorite hunting stick for sure. If it didn't heat up so bad it would be my only go to stick. I have a 28in 280ai that will do almost everthing I need in the way out there department but it is unhandy as hell. I am just gonna build this one and see what happens. not sure if 6.5 or 6mm is the best all around bore however.
T

I have no problem getting 3050 with amaxes and 4831sc in my 24" 7wsm.

I am hoping for 2950 with the 22.5". So far I'm at 2835 with 64gns of 4831sc--but I've got room for more!

Next I'll try RE 17

efficiency could be interpreted a few ways or any of the following Vs. others:

-recoil
-required powder charge
-muzzle velocity
-retained downrange velocity
-BE, goes with above
-required chamber pressure
-$

Now throw in hunting....at assumed ranges and it complicates.

Research the cartridge and pills that best fits in 24-26" and run it at 20" with the ill's you accept. The 6.5x55 is gonna be hard to beat or go mag and push it observing what cal gets you the availability in pill for all your shit.

I think whatever works best for you at traditional tube lengths will still work best (with sacrifice) at 20" within all your utility and practicality.

I've been researching 7mm-08. I can't find much info on it in shorter barrels though. I like the way my 20" .308 handles but would love better trajectory.

I've got a bunch of .308 brass I could possibly just size down to 7mm.

has anybody gone the 7mm-08 route with an 18.5" to 20" barrel?

what issues would I have sizing .308 brass down?

thanks,
LM

I like the 7mm-08 in that it would be a compromise that would still allow you to load up if you ever plan on hunting heavier game. In reality though, I think you could probably make a case for any of the options you presented.