• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which caliber is better

Aidenhicks

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2022
Tennessee
Which caliber would be better for shooting over 3.5 miles accurately. The .338 LM or the .416 Barrett. I'm asking this because I am going to attempt to break the world's longest shot. And it was 3.4 miles I am doing it at 4 miles. I will be in the Nevada desert. And for the most part flat or level ground.

First of all I believe the longest recorded shot for the shoulder-fired weapon is around 7,000 yards which I believe is Paul Phillips and that would be like 3.9 miles. Second please note it's actually not a world record as Guinness well not recognize the LR Shooting Sports there are already others including myself and Paul Phillips that are working on shooting 5 miles so that being said be prepared to send hundreds of rounds down range to be lucky enough to make contact and by the way it's not possible with the dinky 338 Lapua even with the larger cartridge like the Barrett. you will have to use a Charlie and a Delta unit

Last edited:
First of all I believe the longest recorded shot for the shoulder-fired weapon is around 7,000 yards which I believe is Paul Phillips and that would be like 3.9 miles. Second please note it's actually not a world record as Guinness well not recognize the LR Shooting Sports there are already others including myself and Paul Phillips that are working on shooting 5 miles so that being said be prepared to send hundreds of rounds down range to be lucky enough to make contact and by the way it's not possible with the dinky 338 Lapua
Thanks. And yes Paul Phillips did it and it was recognized as 3.4 miles. And then what caliber would you recommend?

never give up on your dreams maybe you could do what you want maybe but only you can decide to try or not . best of luck send back video or it never happened . 155 is better than either and 406mm beats them all ...
What's not to love

Attachments

• 1664154938189.png
    1664154938189.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Okay hear me out...

If you're going to spend thousands of dollars in a bid against random distribution with extremely low odds, why not go to Vegas where you'll at least get a pay-out for winning?
That is a valid point. To answer your question, I love long range shooting and I am willing to pay thousands of dollars with absolutely no pay out, as long as I try.

I would never use a 338 lapua to set new elr records. Get your hands on something better like 408 or 416 colossus. I don't know about your experience but setting new records isn't easy.
Thanks. And My experience is limited, however anyone who tries to beat a world record has limited experience because they're doing something that hasn't been done before.

Call me crazy, but you should probably get experienced making hits at a mile before you start stretching things out further.
I'm going to. But I would still like to know what caliber to use at 4-5 miles so I can practice with the same caliber the whole time.

Reactions: GregMow
I'm 15. But have been shooting long range for most of my shooting life. My goal is to be better than Chris Kyle. And to be a world record holder for longest shot. Call me too young or immature. But be ready to say good job when I'm done.
You go kid, I wish you all the best, I would love to look on this forum in a few years and see a post talking about the 17 or 18 year old who made a hit at 3.5 miles, I really do.

I'm 15. But have been shooting long range for most of my shooting life. My goal is to be better than Chris Kyle. And to be a world record holder for longest shot. Call me too young or immature. But be ready to say good job when I'm done.
I don't know your financial situation but you have more time now than you ever will. If I were you, I would spend my entire summer working, shooting, and chasing girls. When you look back as an adult, you won't remember playing on your phone all day, but you will remember guns and girls.

I don't know your financial situation but you have more time now than you ever will. If I were you, I would spend my entire summer working, shooting, and chasing girls. When you look back as an adult, you won't remember playing on your phone all day, but you will remember guns and girls.
That's what I do. I have a full time job. I have a wonderful girlfriend. And I shoot almost daily

My girlfriend? Sadly no. I got someone to be my spotter though.
Here is some advice you need to learn for the rest of your life. Listen closely. Don't ever, under any circumstance. Ever. Let your girl know how much money you send on shooting. Ever. They will complain and try to talk you into spending it on them.

My wife isn't as bad as others and we make a very good living for ourselves, but she always asks for things when we are in my gun room. She will come in there and saying something like, "I like this stock, who makes it?... I want a Peloton"

Here is some advice you need to learn for the rest of your life. Listen closely. Don't ever, under any circumstance. Ever. Let your girl know how much money you send on shooting. Ever. They will complain and try to talk you into spending it on them.

My wife isn't as bad as others and we make a very good living for ourselves, but she always asks for things when we are in my gun room. She will come in there and saying something like, "I like this stock, who makes it?... I want a Peloton"
No worries. I already knew that. Remember happy wife happy life. Even if it means not telling the whole truth.

Which caliber would be better for shooting over 3.5 miles accurately. The .338 LM or the .416 Barrett. I'm asking this because I am going to attempt to break the world's longest shot. And it was 3.4 miles I am doing it at 4 miles. I will be in the Nevada desert. And for the most part flat or level ground.
Check in with Warner Tool about making you a 416-50 BMG improved with matching dies, and RCC for the brass. Good luck.

Oh, she's goooood. Most would complain about the cost of the stock, and then start a fight over why you didn't spend it on something "for our home" (like...a Peloton!).

Last edited:
I'm going to. But I would still like to know what caliber to use at 4-5 miles so I can practice with the same caliber the whole time.
Seems "logical" to the inexperienced, but really isn't. What chamberings and distances do you currently have experience with? If you're not already making consistent (>50%) hits at a mile or more with what you have, then there a lot of steps between where you are and where you want to go. An honest assessment of your current experience will get you more useful answers as to how best to get there. There are very good reasons the USAF has never taught someone how to fly in an F-22. Steps are important because they build foundations that actually SHORTEN the journey in the long run.

Edit - if you're currently nailing 2 miles with your 375CT, then disregard - you may be ready. Otherwise...

Personally I would work your way up from smaller to a larger ELR caliber. What you are basically wanting to do is driving your daddy's Vette then go into a Top Fuel dragster without any of the steps in the way. You are going to need a lot of time learning and a lot of money to lob bullets that far accurately. It's one hell of a goal, but you have to start with the basics first. Don't be one of those people who spent a mint on a rifle, then shoot like a million rounds out to 5+ miles at billboard and celebrate like a moron when you finally get a lucky hit.

So Paul Phillips' team hit 4 miles a few years back but it was James Devoglier that was shooting at the time. Think we got it after maybe 20 shots and then shot for another day and a half. Hitting it wasn't really the point, we were there as a research project which is why there was never any BS claim of a record. We shot for a few days looking at the performance of different bullets well past transonic. Looking at how conditions effected things at extreme ranges. More or less just figuring out how do deal with those ranges and then applying those lessons back to "modest" distances like 2 miles. There were a number of lessons learned and some of them were real mind fucks.

The logistics of the effort were significant and there was ultimately a team of 10 to get it done. Spotting calls with a forward observer and one of my cameras was the only way to walk it in and without audio on the cameras it would have been harder because I was listening for impacts that I couldn't see and judging if they were closer or further from the previous shot. FO had to be hundreds of yards back for safety because of the vertical spread we were seeing. From bullet to bullet the difference was degrees rather than MOA. Their calls were very hard to judge a correction from in the end that was one of the major lessons.

If you are dead set on this kind of pursuit, expect it to be at least a $10k effort and probably significantly more. That or you can just fly a drone around and show yourself jumping up and down claiming victory...

-Alex

Shouldn't that be 100K?
I don't include the gun in that cost estimate... You might be able to get under that if everyone is a volunteer and you don't have to pay for travel and lodging and such. Cameras, ammo, target... think 10K is a good ballpark for that.

-Alex

Reactions: GregMow

Some more old time advice , make sure that when you die , your significant other does not sell your shit for what you told her you paid for it

Don't let a damn soul ever tell you that you can't do anything. You certainly won't if you don't try.

So Paul Phillips' team hit 4 miles a few years back but it was James Devoglier that was shooting at the time. Think we got it after maybe 20 shots and then shot for another day and a half. Hitting it wasn't really the point, we were there as a research project which is why there was never any BS claim of a record. We shot for a few days looking at the performance of different bullets well past transonic. Looking at how conditions effected things at extreme ranges. More or less just figuring out how do deal with those ranges and then applying those lessons back to "modest" distances like 2 miles. There were a number of lessons learned and some of them were real mind fucks.

The logistics of the effort were significant and there was ultimately a team of 10 to get it done. Spotting calls with a forward observer and one of my cameras was the only way to walk it in and without audio on the cameras it would have been harder because I was listening for impacts that I couldn't see and judging if they were closer or further from the previous shot. FO had to be hundreds of yards back for safety because of the vertical spread we were seeing. From bullet to bullet the difference was degrees rather than MOA. Their calls were very hard to judge a correction from in the end that was one of the major lessons.

If you are dead set on this kind of pursuit, expect it to be at least a $10k effort and probably significantly more. That or you can just fly a drone around and show yourself jumping up and down claiming victory...

-Alex
Just going to add it was James , and it was 7070 IIRC , and a lot of barrels, brass, powder and cussing to get there

Reactions: Aidenhicks

So coming from someone who frequently takes .375s through .510s to ranges between 3000 and 5000 yards I have a genuine question for you. If you’re going through all the trouble of ELR why are you limiting yourself to factory cartridges?

In doing the Shot you are wanting you’re going to be subsonic for a large portion of it. Weight and a balanced projectile (not some extreme ogive) will be king which is where some of the 408s through 458s are king. .338 just doesn’t have enough mass and the 330gr banded solids i used to shoot in my .338 snipetac go sideways once subsonic.

If you’re investing the time, and stupendous amount of money in developing your platform. Look into some of the wildcats that are out there. Whether it be something like a 510 Allen magnum (which I have, 750gr projectiles at around 3000fps), or one of the 458s out there. The pennies saved with an off the shelf caliber, and build will just spell your doom and end up a waste.

This is all my moronic opinion, but it is based on 20 plus years of shooting. Take it for whatever it’s worth to you

I don't include the gun in that cost estimate... You might be able to get under that if everyone is a volunteer and you don't have to pay for travel and lodging and such. Cameras, ammo, target... think 10K is a good ballpark for that.

-Alex
Well, when you hit 3 miles, you let me know just how excited you are about hitting that…. - Lauren

Reactions: Surma-T
Every one knows he is a elr expert. That does not shoot elr.
Sadly now that I have had a chance to read every comment a part of me (assuming my English isn’t shitting the bed) thinks this is bait. I however am going to hope for genuine youthful naivety.

There are many steps to get to a mile consistently, yet alone 2-3-4.

To this fellow I encourage you to keep shooting and keep honing your skills. I don’t think you fully grasp the goal you have and what it entails. Even what you would use for 2 miles would be grossly different than 4.

Taccom Charlie periscope system

Severe plus elevation mount/rail

Personally would choose something in line with the higher power March optics. The March Genesis 6-60 i have been messing with runs $6000 on average. Not including VAT which for me is 24%. I don’t know your sales tax off the top of my head.

Rifle build presumably running north of $10,000. I myself am fond of the taccom structured barrels. Expect something with a 36 to 44+ inch barrel.

Countless load development and projectile development/testing.

10+ drones to meter wind between you and the target. I shoot in the Nevada desert often and even in 1000 yards frequently see the mirage changing directions 3 times over that distance.

If we’re starting from the ground up, totally blank slate I would want to budget around $50,000. And no you won’t be using this setup for anything under 3000 yards. There won’t be training at 1000 yards when your mount and rail alone gives +60 to 100 moa. These are purpose built systems.

Again I apologize if my word choice is off. English is my third language so I know it can be.
——

There is a wonderful YouTube channel I recommend that you follow. Mark and Sam after work. They have years of ELR shooting under their belts, of all variety. Even some shots/ideas I considered pipe dreams. His ELR 45/70 with iron sights recently being a prime example.

Every one knows he is a elr expert. That does not shoot elr.
Theis,
I found out the hard way that trying to both run a match and shooting in it compromises both. It's why Ream is running no matches this year and why Walt and Eddie rarely shoot the matches anymore. That said, I've never finished lower than 21st as a spotter in King.

-Alex

Obviously you need to start somewhere...so your goals aren't exactly outlandish.
This isn't 4-5 miles...but it's the type of shooting you'll need to do, just to dip your toe in.

I appreciate the new Hide...but I'll be honest...I kinda miss how ruthless the old one was.

Screenshot_20220608-134921_Facebook~2.jpg

Didn't we have this same thread a few weeks back? That or it was at another fishing hole.