• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which can for 6BRA through 280 AI and 308?

dimar1492

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Louisiana
Looking to get into a centerfire can. This would primarily be used on bolt guns. Not to say never on an AR10 platform, but typically not.
My top priority is maintaining the precision of the host rifle and the repeatability of POI shift. Next would be form factor and suppression. Looking for the right blend of compact and light while still getting good suppression performance. Interested to hear thoughts on recoil reduction as well.

Some calibers that will be used are 6BRA, 6XC, 25 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 280AI, and potentially 300WM or 300PRC later down the line.

Interested in feedback from people who have been able to compare some of the cans I've been looking at.

Also, how much does suppression suffer running 6 and 6.5 through a 30cal can vs a designated 6 or 6.5 can?

The 3 cans that I've been considering, all in 30cal format:

TBAC Dominus CB
TBAC Ultra 7
KGM R30T

I'm not opposed to other ideas. So far the ones I listed seem to check the boxes in what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Dead Air Nomad-30, Nomad-Ti, Nomad-L, or Nomad-LT.

I love my Nomad-LT. Extremely lightweight, supremely quiet, and repeatable on/off POI with the KeyMo setup.

Reactions: larryh128
precision? AREA419 maverick comes to mind. bit more expensive but excellent as a can and built around PRS competition use. Without that, I'd vote Ultra7, that would be my next can.

Your list has some serious contenders. I would probably also consider a nomad 30 as it has nearly the same dimensions as the Dominus but maybe heavier. Any of the other nomad variations would also serve you well.

I personally own the Dominus. It is a great can. The only thing I dislike is that due it's large diameter, it gets into my FOV a bit. I'm such a FOV whore, I prefer that over magnification so for me it bothers me a bit. But even with it getting just slightly in the way, I still find it to be a great can.

I didn't even think about the potential for the can to get in the field of view. Of the Nomads recommended, only the Nomad-TI interests me. The rest are either longer, heavier, or both than I'd like. Great information so far, guys.

Your list has some serious contenders. I would probably also consider a nomad 30 as it has nearly the same dimensions as the Dominus but maybe heavier. Any of the other nomad variations would also serve you well.

I personally own the Dominus. It is a great can. The only thing I dislike is that due it's large diameter, it gets into my FOV a bit. I'm such a FOV whore, I prefer that over magnification so for me it bothers me a bit. But even with it getting just slightly in the way, I still find it to be a great can.
What is the rifle setup and length of the barrel where you get some interference with field of view?

I have a SiCo omega for this role. Its badass. Maybe look to get 2 cans, because you will end up with 2. The KGM looks pretty sweet, and Tbac is a match supporting monster.

What is the rifle setup and length of the barrel where you get some interference with field of view?

FN SPR
22.5" barrel

It's not like it's uncommon for this to happen on those big diameter cans with low power scopes. I have a ZP5 3-15. Most won't have this problem if running a 7-35 or 6-24 etc.

I'm waiting on a dominus (should be soon) for the same applications. On the shorter barrels and on hunting rigs I can imagine the length and weight to be it's real strong suit. Everything else seems to be just as good as other top end cans. Ray seems to not like the girth of it on a bolt gun but I think I'd rather a shorter can. I guess I won't know till I use it hunting some if it's a real issue. Is it worth the $200 over a ultra 7? I don't know. At least it has a cool name...

I can only speak to the TBAC Ultra 7. It is well known to be a solid suppressor both in sound and accuracy. I've shot both 6.5CM and .308 with great results with 6mm coming soon. Add in the support TB gives their customers and to me it's a no brainer. If the others on your list can compare in all those areas, then there's no wrong answer.

@dimar1492 do you hunt or are your rifles target guns primarily?
Both, which is why I have size and weight as factors. I understand that just like most gear, there will be no one can that is best at every attribute. Just looking for something that is well rounded for now.

Both, which is why I have size and weight as factors. I understand that just like most gear, there will be no one can that is best at every attribute. Just looking for something that is well rounded for now.
I'm in the same boat, and usually use medium and small cans for that reason(U7 being medium). For magnum target guns which are boat anchors to begin with, I use a larger can(338 Ultra). Out of your list i’d pick a U7 gen 2.

I run a Nomad Ti on my .280 AI as well as .308 6.5 Cr and 28 nos. It is an excellent can for all so far.

FWIW, I've got a Dominus on a 18.5" SIG Cross and a 2.5-20x Nightforce NX8, and on minimum mag with an Armageddon Gear cover, I get the slightest shadow in the FOV. It's almost not there, and without the cover I can't see anything at all.

FWIW, I've got a Dominus on a 18.5" SIG Cross and a 2.5-20x Nightforce NX8, and on minimum mag with an Armageddon Gear cover, I get the slightest shadow in the FOV. It's almost not there, and without the cover I can't see anything at all.
Good info, thanks

I wonder if there is enough difference between the Ultra 7 and Dominus to justify buying both.

For the Dominus-CB vs. Ultra 7, I'd say no, they suppress substantially identically. The difference is only in the physical form factor.

For the Dominus-SR vs. the Ultra 7, the capabilities of the secondary retention mount on the Dominus-SR put it in a different category.

I wonder if there is enough difference between the Ultra 7 and Dominus to justify buying both.
Size and db rating. Dominus is slightly shorter and I think slightly wider and offers a few more decibels off.

precision? AREA419 maverick comes to mind. bit more expensive but excellent as a can and built around PRS competition use. Without that, I'd vote Ultra7, that would be my next can.

Area419 won't be any more precise than any of the other cans.

With the Maverick you get the benefit of a system that is designed to mitigate recoil while also supplying some suppression, but this is a pretty niche need, IMO.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Thought I would update this thread. I went suppressor crazy and went ahead and in addition to the Ultra 7 also got a TBAC Dominus, KMG R30, KMG R6.5, and a KMG RF22.

• Love
Reactions: kthomas
If size is not a factor you can’t beat the TB 338 Ultra. I use one on my 6 BRa rifle I shoot in PRS. It is absolutely the quietest rifle out there when paired together. When comparing the 338 Ultra to my Ultra 7 the 338 Ultra beats it hands down in recoil reduction. Only downside is the length when running barricades. Even on my 338 Lapua the 338 Ultra is still extremely quiet. You will want a cover for any can you use and I have been happy with Armageddon Gear suppressor covers.

Now the cost of the 338 Ultra is up there but it’s been so worth it for the versatility and how quiet it is on every rifle I use it on.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
If size is not a factor you can’t beat the TB 338 Ultra. I use one on my 6 BRa rifle I shoot in PRS. It is absolutely the quietest rifle out there when paired together. When comparing the 338 Ultra to my Ultra 7 the 338 Ultra beats it hands down in recoil reduction. Only downside is the length when running barricades. Even on my 338 Lapua the 338 Ultra is still extremely quiet. You will want a cover for any can you use and I have been happy with Armageddon Gear suppressor covers.

Now the cost of the 338 Ultra is up there but it’s been so worth it for the versatility and how quiet it is on every rifle I use it on.
Good info. I also have interest in the TBAC Magnus and the CGS Hyperion. I'll probably add one of these bigger cans after I get my hands on these others I just bought.

I may want the .338 capabilities, not sure yet.