• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Chassis should I go with?

Jonnyb0381

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2018
Hello again all! I'm not going to lie here, I'm new to LR shooting and Im not familiar with most of the market products. I plan on making some mods to my R 700 LR in 7mm Rem mag.
I sold my .308 and used the cash towards it and bought the 7mm used. It came with a brake and the B&C Medalist Stock? or Varmint? I have been looking at some chassis and the KRG line seems to be nice and practical but Im not familiar with the others and Id like to keep the budget around $650 or so I dont mind buying ised either as long as its a quality product with a nice warranty and Im not sure if chassis companies do the whole tranferrable warranty thing or not like reputable optic companies.
That said, Im up for suggestions and open to ideas, shoot away and thanks for the help!

Mdt ess for 850 I have 3 and prefer them over krg and mpa.

Attachments

• 20180619_175059.jpg
    20180619_175059.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I just purchased a Modular Driven Technologies LSS-XL Gen2 and it arrives today. I just did the research on chassis and it came down to the MDT or an XLR Element for me *but* there are tons of great chassis out there now. I personally really like being able to swap grips, butt stocks, rails, etc with stuff already available for the AR platform guns.

Yer buget of $650 is a little shy. This amount will get you a chassis but leaves you not much left for butt stocks, grips, rails and details but probably can be done depending on what additional items you need/want.

VooDoo

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Too broad, too many opinions out here. I have MDT and don't like them very much. The KRG Bravo is likely the best setup for the money, ever, especially if you like a more traditional stock feel and looks. The AI is my hands down favorite, when weight is desirable. a used one is usually more than $650 though.

You may love those, or you may hate them though. I find most chassis' very workable, regardless of personal preference.

Bravo is the best bang for your buck. But you need to focus not only on budget but buying something that fits you and is comfortable. Do you like the AR feel? Me personally, I don't shoot AR type chassis nearly as well as the more traditional type, I also hate AI ergos. My pick was the Bravo, not based on price but based on Ergos.

Before you blow your money try to get a feel for a few at your local range or see if there are people on here that you could meet up with. Since you already have a functioning rifle don't rush in and make an in informed purchase that you might regret.

Asking for suggestions is fine but until you actually get behind a few, you've got no point of reference as to what works for you and what doesn't. Get to a match or other LR event and ask around. Maybe you can find a manufacturer's stand that'll let you play around with some of their product. Otherwise, buy an EDGE membership from Brownell's and buy and try what they have. You can then return anything you don't like on their dime.

For $50 more you can get yourself a brand new MPA BA Lite. That’s where my money would go in that price range.

Or shop around the used market, specifically the classifieds here. The long action chassis don’t pop up nearly as often as the short actions do, but they do pop up and are typically better deals and sit around longer because they’re not quite as high demand. I’ve seen chassis that cost over a grand new sell for close to your budget. You can probably get into something even higher end by going used. I wouldn’t worry about warranty personally, the likelihood of having a problem with a quality chassis is extremely slim.

Asking for suggestions is fine but until you actually get behind a few, you've got no point of reference as to what works for you and what doesn't. Get to a match or other LR event and ask around. Maybe you can find a manufacturer's stand that'll let you play around with some of their product. Otherwise, buy an EDGE membership from Brownell's and buy and try what they have. You can then return anything you don't like on their dime.

^^^ This in my opinion is the best advice for a choice like this! All chassis, buttstocks, grips and accessories are going to fit everyone differently, and unless you get some hands on time with the ones that interest you, you may end up purchasing the wrong thing. Going to a local club match, gun show or RO'ing at a national level match will get you the most hands on time with the most equipment.

As for suggestions, I am biased and will recommend our LSS or LSS-XL Gen2 for the shear "bang for your buck" factor. We try to put a lot of cool features into our products so they may be worth checking out :)

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Lots of good advice here. Don’t be in a hurry to just buy something because it looks cool or your buddies like it, etc. You’re going to have to check out other chassis, stocks, platforms, etc in order to make an informed decision.

If you rush this decision you’ll most certainly regret it. You might really dig the way a particular chassis looks, but absolutely do not like the way it feels. For example, I’m a McMILLAN A5 / Manners T4 guy. I always thought the MPA Comp chassis was an eyesore, right? I got behind one & my whole view of that particular chassis changed over the course of a day. If I were to change from my stock to anything else or commission a build I’m certain I’d go w/ the MPA Comp chassis. He’ll, I even think it looks good too! Don’t judge it til you get behind it.

Reactions: J.Boney
For me the best buy as far is price is an xlr, buy used, good all around chassis, pretty hard to hurt an aluminum chassis. And a can of krylon can make it any color you'd like. Want Camo for hunting, pick a few colors and some sponges. You can see lots of images in the DYI forum of paintjobs.

I checked out a bunch of different chassis and would echo the advice of others - get behind a few of them and mount them/fondle them to see if they fit and what features you really want. I decided to go with the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis but added an XLR Extreme Butt stock to get the 1" bag rail on the bottom (and other stuff) and an Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip. Popped an MDT 10 slot rail on the front, added an MDT AICS 8 round polymer magazine and I'm stunned at how this setup has transformed my gun.

MDTChassi_XLRButtStock.jpg

I got my action into the chassis this afternoon and tweaked up the cheek riser and length of the butt stock, mounted the Bipod and have been dry firing. Wow.

I'm a fan of the AR style ergos and prefer a chassis over a stock like the Manners or a more "traditional" stock. I really like the modular concept of being able to change grips, butt stocks, etc. at will. I'm pretty stoked and I'm now probably an MDT whore for Life. Highly recommended. Can't wait to get it on the range.

VooDoo

Chassis suck. That's my opinion after owning one. Better to try and find out what you like and dislike before buying.

I checked out a bunch of different chassis and would echo the advice of others - get behind a few of them and mount them/fondle them to see if they fit and what features you really want. I decided to go with the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis but added an XLR Extreme Butt stock to get the 1" bag rail on the bottom (and other stuff) and an Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip. Popped an MDT 10 slot rail on the front, added an MDT AICS 8 round polymer magazine and I'm stunned at how this setup has transformed my gun.

View attachment 6922160

I got my action into the chassis this afternoon and tweaked up the cheek riser and length of the butt stock, mounted the Bipod and have been dry firing. Wow.

I'm a fan of the AR style ergos and prefer a chassis over a stock like the Manners or a more "traditional" stock. I really like the modular concept of being able to change grips, butt stocks, etc. at will. I'm pretty stoked and I'm now probably an MDT whore for Life. Highly recommended. Can't wait to get it on the range.

VooDoo
Looks good man. Thanks gmfor the recommendation

The idea behind a chassis is that it is adjustable to fit a variety of end users, stocks aren't as much. About any chassis should fit you, you need to find one in your price range with the features you like, and probably aesthetics too