• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which cleaning rod

Re: Which cleaning rod

Never used a Tipton. I've got and use Dewey and Bore Tech.

The key to a good cleaning rod? Free rotating ball bearing type handle and a one piece rod. I prefer the coated rods.

Use a good bore guide.

I only use Parker Hale type cleaning jags. Roll your patch around it like you roll a cigarette. This will keep the tip of your rod centered as it goes down the bore and give your patch a lot of cleaning surface area vs. poking the patch.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I don't see a reason not to like the Tipton carbon fiber ones, I've heard of some people claiming to break one, but I'm not convinced of that, I even have a .17 cal one, and I haven't come close to breaking it....the handles are solid with bearings and I like thinking that the rod itself wouldn't hurt barrel steel.

Bore Tech for me. Dewey wanted to get fancy with some of their rods and put male ends on them which leaves me searching for the adapted if I don't want to use the jag that came with the rod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCKev64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bore Tech </div></div>

+1

No experience with the others, but Dewey has served me well.

I use a Parker Hale steel sectional rod a lot.
Made a rod out of 1/4 inch stainless steel that's 36inch's long for my Sharps rifle.
I'm finding the Swiss sectional rod and cleaning kit to be quite unique.
I keep a standard US issue 5.56 cleaning rod in my range bag,just in case. And I shoot nothing smaller then that at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Parker Hale steel sectional rod a lot.
Made a rod out of 1/4 inch stainless steel that's 36inch's long for my Sharps rifle.
I keep a standard US issue 5.56 cleaning rod in my range bag,just in case. And I shoot nothing smaller then that at the range. </div></div>

I would only recommend a multi piece rod for an emergency type use only like you stated.

The multi piece type rods can start to unthread as you run them back and forth thru the bore. When this happens the rods will flex and the joints of the rods can get banged around in the bore and can cause scratching etc....

I don't recommend the multi piece cleaning rods.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never used a Tipton. I've got and use Dewey and Bore Tech.

The key to a good cleaning rod? Free rotating ball bearing type handle and a one piece rod. I prefer the coated rods.

Use a good bore guide.

I only use Parker Hale type cleaning jags. Roll your patch around it like you roll a cigarette. This will keep the tip of your rod centered as it goes down the bore and give your patch a lot of cleaning surface area vs. poking the patch.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels</div></div>
Thanks alot, Frank, for the tip on rolling the patch. I never really thought about concentricity in cleaning, but that would limit the chances of scraping the bore with the rod.

I prefer Pro Shot ss rods, first off the handle diameter is small, not rubbing your buttstock. Second, a coated rod if dropped can pick up foriegn materials, gravel, who knows, then your lapping your barrel with it because they flex more.
Wrapping a patch around a jag for concenticity has me baffled also. My poked patches seem to come out folded neatly around the jag. I'd think when you overlapped the patch folding it around, the seam would throw it out of round.

I use Dewey for everything and love them...you might have to buy adapters or different jags because of the size or thread Dewey uses but they are great rods. Buy one piece rods!

I just purchased a stainless rod and bore guide, from Neil Jones. The quality level is through the roof. This is obviously not a mass produced item. Shipping was very fast, as well. I think I waited about a week, from the phone call to arrival.

I also use a Parker Hale jag, from Midway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Parker Hale steel sectional rod a lot.
I keep a standard US issue 5.56 cleaning rod in my range bag,just in case. And I shoot nothing smaller then that at the range. </div></div>

I would only recommend a multi piece rod for an emergency type use only like you stated.

The multi piece type rods can start to unthread as you run them back and forth thru the bore. When this happens the rods will flex and the joints of the rods can get banged around in the bore and can cause scratching etc....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels </div></div>
Have you ever REALLY looked at the Swiss cleaning kit's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Parker Hale steel sectional rod a lot.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels </div></div>
Have you ever REALLY looked at the Swiss cleaning kit's? </div></div>

Nope never looked at the Swiss rods. To many guns and to little time. I do have a Swiss K31 rifle and that is an excellent gun. Got match sights on it to boot!

Later, Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer Pro Shot ss rods, first off the handle diameter is small, not rubbing your buttstock. Second, a coated rod if dropped can pick up foriegn materials, gravel, who knows, then your lapping your barrel with it because they flex more.
Wrapping a patch around a jag for concenticity has me baffled also. My poked patches seem to come out folded neatly around the jag. I'd think when you overlapped the patch folding it around, the seam would throw it out of round. </div></div>

Rolling the patch doesn't give you an odd overlap etc... like you might think. Try it once and when you take the cleaning rod out of the bore take a look at the patch before you pull it off. Sometimes you cannot even see the overlap with the solvent etc...on it and like I stated before I also feel it gives you more surface area for the patch to clean vs. poking the patch. You have to use the Parker Hale type jags though. They are the only ones I've found that hold the patch properly when rolling the patch around the jag tip.

The S.S. Proshot rods that I've seen seem to be really nice and straight.

Don't drop your coated rods! As far as foreign matter getting imbedded into the coating of the rod? Haven't seen it. Been using coated rods for around 20 years and like anything else if properly used I haven't seen it ever damage a barrel.

The rods flexing? Any rod will flex in my opinion. If the cleaning rod is flexing then I feel something is to tight or your using the wrong size cleaning rod.

How can you tell if something is to tight? Once the bore of the barrel is wet if your next wet patches going down the bore are squealing/squeaking the patch is to tight. Any loose dirt/debris/carbon etc....has no where to go and your just grinding the dirt against the surface of the bore of the barrel.

Everyone has they're method to clean a barrel. As long as you are not damaging anything (more damage is done to barrel from improper cleaning then from physical shooting of the gun) than I've got nothing to say. I tell guys that just because the guy next to you is cleaning his gun differently doesn't mean he is doing it better or worse again as long as your not damaging anything I've got nothing to say, but if you should bring your gun into our shop and complain about how it is shooting and I inspect the barrel and find evidence from cleaning damage than I've got something to say and I will ask how you are cleaning the rifle.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rods flexing? Any rod will flex in my opinion. If the cleaning rod is flexing then I feel something is to tight or your using the wrong size cleaning rod.

<span style="font-weight: bold">How can you tell if something is to tight? Once the bore of the barrel is wet if your next wet patches going down the bore are squealing/squeaking the patch is to tight. Any loose dirt/debris/carbon etc....has no where to go and your just grinding the dirt against the surface of the bore of the barrel. </span></div></div>
That is excellent and important advice, so thank you, Frank. I damaged my first barrel just that way.

Yours,

David

I have a Tipton rifle rod and a Dewey pistol rod. I like them both, but the Dewey seems to have better bearings in the rotating handle. By that I mean it rotates a bit more free and smooth.

Like Bore Tech, Pro Shot SS, and Montanna Extreme...rods

Are all the 30cal rods the same diameter.I have a Lucas bore guide for a 300 Rum when i ordered it i ordered it for a Tipton rod.Can i still use a Dewy,Bore Tech if i wanted to.

I have several Deweys that I no longer use since getting a couple Tipton carbon fiber rods. One is a short .30 cal size for M1 carbines, M-1A and M1 Garand, and the other is a long one I use for .22 and 6.5mm.

The coating kept scraping off the Deweys, and they quit rotating.

The Tipton has been borrowed at matches to pound bullets out of the bore and cases out of chambers. No harm to the rod. With the rifles I have to clean from the muzzle, I don't worry about any coating scraping off.

Richard

Another vote for Tipton. It is my first "high end" cleaning rod and I haven't had experience with the others. Thanks Frank for the insights. I now know I've been running my patches too tight.

Wood dowels as cleaning rod?

Use dowels. Wooden ones.

Easy on the bore. Dowel is easily cleaned or chucked. For $00.10 grab a new one off your shelf. How hard is that.

Someone will say "it won't twist." Yes it will if you do it right. Push a dowel the right size down the bore with a patch of flannel from your worn out pajamas on the tip. Easy. Works. Frugal. Simple is good.

KISS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wood dowels as cleaning rod?

Use dowels. Wooden ones.</div></div>
You're insane. I love this idea.

Dewey user here.

Parker Hale or Jag type are easy to find...no adapter necessary. Just search for Dewey cleaning rod tips.

Coating picking up crap? Zero issue with that...it can't possibly happen with a Dewey. Simple...just wipe the rod clean.

A good bore guide will minimize flex.

There are some really good carbon rods out there...can't justify the cost since my Dewey has been going strong for better than 10 years.

I use Bore Tech rods for every caliber I own. I love them and they are absolutely fantastic!

Some rods can be chrome plated which makes them smooth, unlikely to attract microscopic particles which although smaller than any produced by firing explosives that squirt metal projectiles down the twisting, tight bore, could accumulate in the mind and create the notion of bore contamination and hence, erosion.

More importantly, a chrome rod will also create the mind notion associated with success, competence and intelligence, which lie not in the bore but at the core of the human ego such that the rod appeals unknowingly to the unaware to the primal part of the mind as a symbol of masculinity - the all-powerful penis - our prehistoric instinctual drive to enter the gene pool.

So. Men. Get out your rods and shove them through a hole and be happy. Satisfied. Be sure your rod is pretty, expensive, and adorned. They can even be gold plated by a rich fuck who has more money than frugality.

Whew. You guys are killn' me. This is like huge trucks raised four feet off the road surface but mostly operated on hard surface highways by drivers oblivious to the signal they clearly send. "I have a little, or no, penis, or if I do, no one wants it, or I'm afraid to offer it to anyone."

Anyway. Towers as monuments, rods, steeples, and domes illustrate man's need to impress upon another man his prowess; libido. Ego. Bucks rub trees and piss on a scrape. Humans build a big house, big gun, and drive a big Chevy 2500HD and a big John Deere.

Polish those rods now. Then polish those bores. Get the wife to watch. Its foreplay.

Or use a ten cent 36" x _" wooden stick to gently push a patch of flannel down the bore of a $600 barrel and clean it.