• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Which clip-on NVD for my 1-8x24 day scope?

onepointsixklicks

One Average Shooter
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2017
Tacoma, WA
I'm looking for a good gen 3 option for the 1-8x scope with some capability to be used on a 5-25x56 scope. This is going to be used primarily with 1-8x for coyote hunting.

Something around 3 pounds or less, durable/water resistant, doesn't affect POI significantly and can still work well in starlight at 500+ yards.

My ideal price range is 5k but I'm willing to go to around 10k for something that works very well for both scopes (I'm willing to sacrifice on the weight to attain this)

I was looking at the an/pvs-30 buybacks but am unsure of how well they will do with the lower powered rifle scope.

What do you guys think? Recommendations?

I just put my 30 in front of Burris xtr2 1.5-8x cq-mil scope and it focused well enough in the house at 10yds ... image looked fine.

d2gfNLGh.jpg

My concern for your case is my 30 weighs in at 3 pounds 14 oz on my scale and that is heavy for a clipon out front. Will you be shooting standing unsupported or off a tripod?

I have played with my PVS 30 on a MK6 1-6, ACOG TA31 (4X), and multiple 4-16 and 3-20 scopes, It works well on all of the above. I would think the low end of magnification would be around 3x.
20180102_193709.jpg

Reactions: onepointsixklicks
AN/PVS-30, its a tad over kill on the 1-8x but if you need something that will run on the 5-25x then thats your ticket. PVS-22 might also be a compromise, it will work well with the 1-8x but your going to max out at 10-12x.
Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 10.09.21 AM.png

Last edited:
If you are primarily coyote hunting with the 1-8 I would get a used LWTS thermal for 8-10k.
It wouldn't work very well on the 5-25 or for target shooting thought.

Awesome for hunting though.
Or maybe buy a PVS30 for $4-5k and something like a T50 or better for $5000 or less.
Or buy the PVS30 and get a StalkIR for spotting the coyotes.
I would get a Peq2 if you get the PVS30

magnification doesn't really matter with any clip on. any of them will handle low end mag. the 30 weight doesn't bother me at all. I don't know why anyone would be wanting free hand a rifle with clip on of any sort anyhow. if you want to do that put a pvs-14 and eotech or 1-4x on a gas gun and have at it. clip ons are for precision shooting

I just put my 30 in front of Burris xtr2 1.5-8x cq-mil scope and it focused well enough in the house at 10yds ... image looked fine.

d2gfNLGh.jpg

My concern for your case is my 30 weighs in at 3 pounds 14 oz on my scale and that is heavy for a clipon out front. Will you be shooting standing unsupported or off a tripod?

Great, thanks for testing that out! I'd be shooting off of a tripod but I can imagine situations where I'd need to shoot unsupported. I'm running bullpups though so the weight won't be so far out in front of me. Thanks for weight concern, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for sharing your guys' info and experience with these! The pics were very helpful, I didn't realize just how big the pvs30 was until seeing it on Dag's setup! Thanks for the recommendation of the pvs22, it does look a bit smaller than the pvs 30.

If you are primarily coyote hunting with the 1-8 I would get a used LWTS thermal for 8-10k.
It wouldn't work very well on the 5-25 or for target shooting thought.

Awesome for hunting though.
Or maybe buy a PVS30 for $4-5k and something like a T50 or better for $5000 or less.
Or buy the PVS30 and get a StalkIR for spotting the coyotes.
I would get a Peq2 if you get the PVS30

I would love one of those thermals and maybe I could just start saving for a thermal and then use a pvs30 for my bolt gun. In your opinion for the thermal, would there be issues identifying the difference between a neighbor's dog that got loose and a coyote that came into the call?

magnification doesn't really matter with any clip on. any of them will handle low end mag. the 30 weight doesn't bother me at all. I don't know why anyone would be wanting free hand a rifle with clip on of any sort anyhow. if you want to do that put a pvs-14 and eotech or 1-4x on a gas gun and have at it. clip ons are for precision shooting

Thanks for clarifying that the low-end mag doesn't matter and that the clip-ons are for precision shooting. I'd be very interested in using this for precision shooting on my bolt gun, too. I'd like to expand to using it for that in the future if there are local competitions or if I can find a different use for it. The coyote hunting is just a good excuse to go looking. It sounds like you'd recommend I go for something smaller for the coyote hunting. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your guys' info and experience with these! The pics were very helpful, I didn't realize just how big the pvs30 was until seeing it on Dag's setup! Thanks for the recommendation of the pvs22, it does look a bit smaller than the pvs 30.

I would love one of those thermals and maybe I could just start saving for a thermal and then use a pvs30 for my bolt gun. In your opinion for the thermal, would there be issues identifying the difference between a neighbor's dog that got loose and a coyote that came into the call?

Thanks for clarifying that the low-end mag doesn't matter and that the clip-ons are for precision shooting. I'd be very interested in using this for precision shooting on my bolt gun, too. I'd like to expand to using it for that in the future if there are local competitions or if I can find a different use for it. The coyote hunting is just a good excuse to go looking. It sounds like you'd recommend I go for something smaller for the coyote hunting. Thanks!

i predator hunt 3-5 nights a week with a pvs-30 on my bolt gun. thats not what im saying at all.

as to the thermal and ID, that really depends on the units resolution capability. some thermals work great for ID like pulsar trail or trijicon reap-ir or mk3 etc.

i predator hunt 3-5 nights a week with a pvs-30 on my bolt gun. thats not what im saying at all.

as to the thermal and ID, that really depends on the units resolution capability. some thermals work great for ID like pulsar trail or trijicon reap-ir or mk3 etc.

Great! Sounds like I can sneak by with a pvs30 for now and upgrade or refine my options later. Thanks for your help Killswitch and all! Much appreciated.