• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which competition dies? cant recover mine....

cybersniper

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2006
Spain
www.cybersniper.com
After 20 years of not reloading I need to do so again. All these years I used Army sniper issue Lapua 170lock base ammo and it shoots very good.
Now to be competitive in FT/R i need to reaload and shoot 155.
BUT:
Friends have been "borrowing" my stuff for years and I am left with nothing, and dont even remember who has what.
SO:
1.- Which of the new competition dies are nicer AND COST EFFECTIVE. (308W 155 palma loads and 338LM)
2.- Which BIG press should i buy?
Im thinking on one of those LEE big fifty "Lee Classic Cast 50 Caliber BMG Press Kit". If I want to realod some 50BMG I will be able to so do and it looks sturdy and CHEAP.

Thanks
eduardo

Re: which competition dies? cant recover mine....

Eduardo,

If my stuff grew legs and I had to buy new, this would be my short list. Not everyone will agree, but so be it...

Redding Type 'S' full-length sizing die
Redding/Wilson steel neck bushings - skip the TiNi (gold) ones, ya still need to lube the case necks
Redding floating carbide expander ball (replaces OEM expander on above die)
Forster Ultra BR seater
Set of Redding Competition shell holders (from +0.002 to +0.010 in 0.002 increments)
K&M hand primer seater

Press of choice - currently using a Forster Co-Ax, very happy with it, but I don't think I'd turn down a Lee Classic Cast - most everything I've heard about them is good, and they cost quite a bit less.

Take care,

Monte

I will go along with Monte on the loading equipment but you might look at the Big RCBS press for the 50BMG
larryj

AS always, another guy, another set of suggestions!

Any set of dies MAY do good work IF the die specs are a close match to your chamber. No brand, or price, can automatically make that chance fit any better but some speciality dies can accomidate moderate differences somewhat better than conventional designs are likely to do.

I am no longer charmed by bushing dies. To be truly effective case necks should be fully turned to a consistant thickness, otherwise the outside is consistant but the inside is not! SO...

1. Neck sizer - Lee Collet neck die

With a good neck sizer, you don't really need an FL sizer. All you really need is something to make the BODIES smaller from time to time. So...

2. Forster body "bump" die

A really good, body length full sleeved straight line seater (NOT a short, sliding sleeve design like Hornady or RCBS has) can't be matched by any other design.

Micrometer heads make it a little easier to change seating depth but anyone with a dial/digital caliper can make ammo any length they wish. A little practice will allow you to get close quickly and a couple of tweaks should be all you need to get dead on. So...

3. Forster BR seater, W/O micrometer head for cost reduction.

Lee's "Classic Cast" series press bodies are made of cast railroad rails, much stronger than the other's of cast iron. AND Lee's are designed from the ground up to have the machining done on modern CNC machines, that reduces costs AND insures accuracy of the work. SO...

4. Press - Lee Classic, your choice of specific model

Priming is "best" done by hand. Several are very good, such as the excellant Sinclair tools, but Lee's inexpensive (as opposed to "cheap") Auto Prime is fully as effective as any and better than some. IMHO.

Many snear at Lee's primers for being made of "pot metal" and "easy to break". Maybe. I do wish they were more robust but I have two, one of large and one for small caps, that are over 20 years old and have never broken. Of course, I don't insist on jamming down on any that are difficult to seat, I prefer to stop and see what the problem is and clear it first. ?? So...

5. Priming tool - Lee Auto Prime

Digital scales are the current fad but, as a former electronic insturment repair/calibration tech, I don't care for them. Much to tempermental, quirky for me.

Beam scales work with gravity. It's always the same, never needs to warm up, doesn't care about any nearby stray magnetic fields. ALL of the reloader branded scales work well but a Redding, Lyman, RCBS beam scale reading to about 500 grains is a great, reliable tool at least expense, very easy and fast to use IF you set it on a shelf about chin high. SO...

6. Powder Scale - any of those beam scales listed above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eduardo,

If my stuff grew legs and I had to buy new, this would be my short list. Not everyone will agree, but so be it...

Redding Type 'S' full-length sizing die
Redding/Wilson steel neck bushings - skip the TiNi (gold) ones, ya still need to lube the case necks
Redding floating carbide expander ball (replaces OEM expander on above die)
Forster Ultra BR seater
Set of Redding Competition shell holders (from +0.002 to +0.010 in 0.002 increments)
K&M hand primer seater

Press of choice - currently using a Forster Co-Ax, very happy with it, but I don't think I'd turn down a Lee Classic Cast - most everything I've heard about them is good, and they cost quite a bit less.

Take care,

Monte </div></div>

second this selection the reddings are the best I have used , better than the fosters