• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which cordless drill for neck turning?

Re: Which cordless drill for neck turning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you that utilize power tools (besides your hands) to assist in neck turning what do you use? </div></div>

I used a Porter Cable 1/2" drill with a 18v Li-ion battery. You need a good bit of torque and those little screwdriver handles are good for only about 25 cases before you drain the battery.

Which ever one you choose, go on a slow speed so as to not build up heat.

I use a cheap cordless screw driver from wal-mart. Low speed,works good for me.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a cheap cordless screw driver from wal-mart. Low speed,works good for me.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Me to, the only way to fly. Last one a B&D from Lowes $14.95.

Neck turning?

As in skimming off the thick side....like one or two, maybe three thousandths of an inch...off of maybe 50% of the neck, at the most?

A power tool, for that?

Really?

Tripwire I think you forgot a zero, ten thousands is more like it. Heat is the enemy when neck turning, 180-200 rpm is about the fastest I would recommend, if the turning mandrel gets hot the cuts will not be uniform and your wasting your time.