• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which creedmoor asking for a friend

fvalmostthere

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
I am helping my buddy spec out a build to get into prs and he doesn't reload, my first thought was 6.5 creedmoor but with the growing popularity of 6mm creedmoor should I be directing him that way? I know 6 creed is a barrel burner but would he have to worry about that so much with factory ammo? He is thinking bighorn origin so even if he does burn them out barrel swaps won't be bad with the savage prefits.

Is he willing to pay at least $1 per round? If not then the 6.5 has american gunner stuff for 80 cents per round and its not bad. That plus 50% better barrel life of a 6.5 (2500) vs a 6 (1600) make the 6.5 the obvious choice.

6.5 creedmoor is the budget choice. It offers a larger amount of factory ammo and tons of proven data. It’s the perfect start into long range rifle.

That was my initial thought guys thanks for getting me back on track
I’ve run into the same issue. Last time it was my son. He had his heart set on a 6mm. After showing him the economics of all choices we spun a 6.5 creedmoor pre fit on his action.

Is he willing to pay at least $1 per round? If not then the 6.5 has american gunner stuff for 80 cents per round and its not bad. That plus 50% better barrel life of a 6.5 (2500) vs a 6 (1600) make the 6.5 the obvious choice.

I've gotten it on sale for .50/rd, cheaper than I can get brass most of the time. Slower than the match ammo and not quite as consistent but shoots well. I break it out when I'm taking friends to the range.

All reports I’ve read shooters are using Blackjack bullets. I can only venture to guess the price of a boutique bullet. Maybe I’m wrong. Just seems a 6.5 creedmoor is the value leader in this range of cartridges. I shoot many calibers but day in and day out it’s tough to argue against cheap factory ammunition and plentiful components and easily obtained loading data and experience with the newest loads and factory ammunition.

I'd have to agree with most on here. The better barrel life, cheaper ammo, and availability of the 6.5 makes it an easy choice for a beginner.

Reactions: Average guy
All reports I’ve read shooters are using Blackjack bullets. I can only venture to guess the price of a boutique bullet. Maybe I’m wrong. Just seems a 6.5 creedmoor is the value leader in this range of cartridges. I shoot many calibers but day in and day out it’s tough to argue against cheap factory ammunition and plentiful components and easily obtained loading data and experience with the newest loads and factory ammunition.
Its between a sierra and a berger. So not expensive if you're reloading

Not gonna argue against your other points though

I got tired of making things overly complicated, so I decided a while back to stick with 6.5cm. Plus, if you have to shoot at something besides a steel target while playing a game, it has plenty of "business" power.