• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which custom 300 win mag

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I’ve stumbled across two different 300 win mags. Both I would change slightly but overal there both a good deal and nice firearms. Curious as to which route you would go!

first is;

surgeon action
26” 5r 1:10 Krieger barrel with apa fat bastard brake fluted
trigger tech primary
cadex dual strike chassis
less then 40 rounds fired

second is

Deviant hunter action crf
krieger 28” 1:8 twist no brake
trigger tech primary
B&C adjustable tactical stock
accurate mag dbm
4 rounds down barrel

both rifles led would need minor work. Surgeon is roughly 700 dollars cheaper no optic but nice hard case. Cadex would be dropped and replaced with a manners or Mcmillan and cadex goes for 2000+ in Canada. Second rifle i would probably have to cut back and add a brake, comes with a viper hst that would be sold and drop then b&c and get a manners or Mcmillan. Both are priced super good but can only afford one. Never handled a surgeon or defiance crf. Rifle will be used for moose hunting with 215 hybrids.

I've never handled a Surgeon but I own a few Defiance actions and they're great in my opinion. Sounds like you want to drop either one in a quality traditional stock so it basically boils down to which barreled action you like better.

For hunting I'd chop it down to 24" and thread for your preferred muzzle device. My 300 WM is 24" and sends the 215s at 2850 with a mild load . Smashes elk with authority.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
I've never handled a Surgeon but I own a few Defiance actions and they're great in my opinion. Sounds like you want to drop either one in a quality traditional stock so it basically boils down to which barreled action you like better.

For hunting I'd chop it down to 24" and thread for your preferred muzzle device. My 300 WM is 24" and sends the 215s at 2850 with a mild load . Smashes elk with authority.

Well i don’t like the cadex chassis, although excellent chassis I just personally don’t like them. I’d be open to a different chassis but I’d be probably leaning towards an eh1a/eh5a or like a game scout/warden.

And I’ve owned b&c stocks before but never really like them. So that would just be an upgrade even though it’s probably fine. I’d cut it down 26” add a brake. Don’t mind the 26 but would want a brake.

Mainly 1 is 1:8 twist and the other is 1:10 twist. I’ve never handled the defiance control round feed and don’t hear anything about them

If you're going to use 215s either twist rate will work fine. I've heard some conflicting reports about 8 twist 30 cals but can't personally confirm. I've loaded 215s in many 10 twist barrels and they work great.

Reactions: Wags
If you're going to use 215s either twist rate will work fine. I've heard some conflicting reports about 8 twist 30 cals but can't personally confirm. I've loaded 215s in many 10 twist barrels and they work great.

What are some reports of 8 twist problems

Seems like people are experiencing damaged bullet jackets and poor performance with traditional bullets. Those who are using the heavy monos need the twist and don't have to worry about the bullets integrity.

10 twist 300 win mag is the ticket with the 215s. Have a few with 9.4 twist proof CF barrels as well. Surgeon actions are nice and work well.

Option 1 would be my choice if you had to choose.

Or just build your own.. Order up a bighorn TL3 LA CIP cut. Order a prefit 300 win mag proof barrel in 9 / 9.4 / or 10 twist.. Drop it in a Manners of your choice. Bet it would be cheaper and you can spec it out how you like. Especially if your ditching the chassis and or stock and maybe even a barrel on one.

10 twist 300 win mag is the ticket with the 215s. Have a few with 9.4 twist proof CF barrels as well. Surgeon actions are nice and work well.

Option 1 would be my choice if you had to choose.

Or just build your own.. Order up a bighorn TL3 LA CIP cut. Order a prefit 300 win mag proof barrel in 9 / 9.4 / or 10 twist.. Drop it in a Manners of your choice. Bet it would be cheaper and you can spec it out how you like. Especially if your ditching the chassis and or stock and maybe even a barrel on one.

Ideally the bighorn is what I wanted to build but we are talking 2400 for a bighorn, manners being 1200 plus gunsmith it or 1800 for mini chassis, trigger of 200, barrel is 900 with gunsmithing fees included, bottom metal 300 plus mag 110, brake 300 so I would be 7500-8500 after parts tax shipping and gun smithing fees. These are Canadian prices!

Surgeon rifle is 3300 no tax or shipping, with 200-300 rounds of ammo at almost 800 dollars value. Cadex is a 2300 dollar stock so selling the ammo and cadex will pay for over half of the rifle even if I blow them out. Then a new manners would put it back to 3000 grand total fee. So basically 60% price of a new build

Last edited:
Bighorn action is 1300 ish. Proof Carbon prefit for the TL3 is 740. Less for the steel barrels. Manners EH1A with mini chassis is $1,200 with some little extras. Trigger is 150-200. Torquing on the barrel would take minutes for a gun Smith. If your in CO I'll do it for you for free in my SAC barrel vice. Screw it in your action and your set. No gun smithing required for anything but screwing the barrel onto the action at the proper torque.

Just throwing out options for you.

Bighorn action is 1300 ish. Proof Carbon prefit for the TL3 is 740. Less for the steel barrels. Manners EH1A with mini chassis is $1,200 with some little extras. Trigger is 150-200. Torquing on the barrel would take minutes for a gun Smith. If your in CO I'll do it for you for free in my SAC barrel vice. Screw it in your action and your set. No gun smithing required for anything but screwing the barrel onto the action at the proper torque.

Just throwing out options for you.

Sorry I live in Canada so the prices I posted is what I’d be paying. We don’t have any proof pre-fits and proof carbon barrel blanks are over 1000 before chambering

That’s why these two options are pretty good. When a build will run me 7500-8500 dollars (just had one built and that’s why I know this) and these two customs are 3300 and 4000. So half price. Then selling the cadex to swap out for a manners will be actually saving more money.

Idk how much either rifle is going to cost you but you may be able to build one for close to the same price. I already had a rem 700 300 and built off if it but I am super pleased with the price and how it turned out. My son actually built one almost identical to mine after I finished. I had the action trued, a 26” proof barrel chambered with a Rhian Manthis reamer(for the 215 Berger), Hs Precision bottom metal and bedded in a Manners EH1 stock. It shoots the 215 Bergers right at 3100 FPS and shoot .4 MOA. I basically have 1200 in smith work and cost of components. I wanted it to be light so I could carry it but heavy enough to shoot a long way.

951870C9-E6BE-4A09-870E-76EE477AA5DB.jpeg
D48E12E1-96E8-4669-ABEF-9CCA253CA7EB.jpeg
13A8A654-B1EE-48A4-A199-78318C484CF2.jpeg
54CCB143-2E66-48F0-9A82-24E0C9D99019.jpeg

Idk how much either rifle is going to cost you but you may be able to build one for close to the same price. I already had a rem 700 300 and built off if it but I am super pleased with the price and how it turned out. My son actually built one almost identical to mine after I finished. I had the action trued, a 26” proof barrel chambered with a Rhian Manthis reamer(for the 215 Berger), Hs Precision bottom metal and bedded in a Manners EH1 stock. It shoots the 215 Bergers right at 3100 FPS and shoot .4 MOA. I basically have 1200 in smith work and cost of components. I wanted it to be light so I could carry it but heavy enough to shoot a long way.

View attachment 7135849View attachment 7135850View attachment 7135851View attachment 7135855

I want that, just lefty and an adjustable cheek piece.

Beautiful rifle.

View attachment 7135849View attachment 7135850View attachment 7135851View attachment 7135855

God that’s screaming quick!! What a beautiful rifle you have there sir! I’ve weighed out a few options and building off a 700 will run me more then the surgeon rifle but about par with the defiance rifle. There’s more invested in the surgeon yet it is almost too cheap to be true! The owner of both rifles are extremely great, willing to answer and send anything I need!

Basically a full custom will run 7500-8500 in Canada
A rem/sav build will run 3000-5000 depending on parts.

The defiance is 4000 the surgeon is 3000-3300 for complete rifles

My sons rifle is almost identical. He used a Manners T4 elite in scorched earth and put a vortex razor on it. That reamer is what allows them to shoot so fast. I load mine as long as my DBM will allow and cram them full of VV N570. It’s a little hot to shoot in the summer but its fine in the winter. I don’t think you could go wrong with either option you are looking at but I’d for sure suggest the 215 Berger. It’s awesome in a 300wm.

Thanks for the compliments guys!