• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which custom action

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
Its been many years since I've build a rifle but Im getting ready to start a 28 Nosler for hunting only. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I build my last 2 (roughly 12 years ago) you really only had a couple options. I went with the Stiller Predator before and had no issues, but want to make sure I'm not missing something before going that route again. Now you have defiance, lone peak, big horn, etc etc etc.

Id like to stay around 1k, but don't need to if there is a reason to go higher. Do these other companies do something stiller doesnt? The whole rifle will cost enough, I'm not stressing over a couple hundred bucks on the action.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
No idea as I'm a R700 / W70 guy but I recently saw the Badger Ordnance actions and those look nice and I would assume are extremely accurate... May be worth a look since you are looking.

Well there's a lot of great topics on here about custom action comparisons. I'd start with this RECOIL review on a few of the current offerings.

http://www.recoilweb.com/rem-700-custom-actions-109106.html

There are quite a few actions that have more features than a Stiller if those features interest you. I think the usual frontrunners around here will be the Mausingfield, Bighorn TL3, and the Impact actions.

Bighorn TL3, for no other reason than that's what I have being built. I have no experience with it yet, will admit my researching desire was limited, and I took it because it was at the shop. It's the best because it's what I have.

No, but you can get them from TS Customs. TS Customs is who has built mine. I have had or presently have Surgeon's, Bighorns, Kelbly's, Defiance, BAT Tactical, Mausingfield, etc etc etc... and Lone Peak's are the most impressive actions I've used to date.

Thanks, I figured you had a lot of experience with the diffrent offering's and I like to buy from the people who help me with the info.

Well there's a lot of great topics on here about custom action comparisons. I'd start with this RECOIL review on a few of the current offerings.

There are quite a few actions that have more features than a Stiller if those features interest you. I think the usual frontrunners around here will be the Mausingfield, Bighorn TL3, and the Impact actions.

Ill look at the link, thanks for chiming in.

I have a little experience with a Lone Peak, a little with the Big Horn TL3 and a lot with a Defiance Deviant. The Deviant is awesome now that there's 6000 firings on it, but it wasn't always that way. That said, ive never had a mis-fire or an extraction issue in those 6000 rounds and it took a great deal of "break-in" to get it as smooth as it is. The Lone Peak and TL3 are both "smoother out of the box" IMO and can only get better from there (I don't have 6000 rounds experience behind them) Smooth and Bolt Lift are very similar between the TL3 and Lone Peak, but I give a slight advantage to the Lone Peak in both departments (I don't know how they would compare after 2000 bolt cycles). Do you want a mechanical ejection receiver or M16 style? You make that decision and you'll have your winner.

That was a great read.

That was a great read.

The sort of decisions you have to make have to do more with features between the top tier actions. If mechanical ejection, interchangeable bolt heads, and controlled round feed aren't a concern then you probably wouldn't need to look too much at the Mausingfield or Bighorn TL3. If you're looking for an action more similar to a R700 (except better) then maybe concentrate on the Impact Precision or Axiom actions. All of those except the Mausingfield (which is $1600) fall between $1100-1300. So the price is a wash and it's more of a preference for certain features. I personally think that stepping up a little bit from a Stiller gets you more of your money's worth. As far as the ones mentioned, you really can't go wrong.

The sort of decisions you have to make have to do more with features between the top tier actions. If mechanical ejection, interchangeable bolt heads, and controlled round feed aren't a concern then you probably wouldn't need to look too much at the Mausingfield or Bighorn TL3. If you're looking for an action more similar to a R700 (except better) then maybe concentrate on the Impact Precision or Axiom actions. All of those except the Mausingfield (which is $1600) fall between $1100-1300. So the price is a wash and it's more of a preference for certain features. I personally think that stepping up a little bit from a Stiller gets you more of your money's worth. As far as the ones mentioned, you really can't go wrong.

I dont care how it ejects, as long as it does. I dont care how it feeds as long as it does, I dont care about interchangeable bolt heads. Im basically going custom action becaues by the time you buy a 700, and blue print it, then your close to custom action money, and a custom action has better resale value (not that I ever intend to, but you can never know for certain), and are much smother than any blueprinted 700 I've personally messed with.

I really should not have put a price on the thread. 1600 is close enough to 1000 to be fine, I just want to be gaining something for my money. I definitely wont be going stiller. I don't know that there will be much of a difference with what I will be doing with this rifle, but I've done enough reading today to know I want to see if the grass is greener.