• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which custom barrel

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I want to put together a Mk12ish style upper to slap onto my SBR lower for when I want to poke out a little further. I want a custom barrel with these specs:

1:7 twist
Stainless steel
SPR profile
223 wylde chamber
18” length
Mid length gas
5/8x24 threads- for direct thread 30cal suppressor. I don’t want to use thread adapters and have tolerance stacking issues and expansion/contraction variation with a suppressor and thread adapters.

Any feedback on X-caliber custom barrels?

JP, I've got a 308 with one of their barrels and it does great for me.

Last barrel I bought was a custom 223 Bartlein barrel and had it set to Compass Lake. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But it looks like a great barrel and I've never heard a bad thing about them. But once I can get it built we'll see how things go.

As others said above, can’t go wrong with WOA or CLE.
The Douglas from CLE or Centurion will be proper for the Mk 12, and should shoot great. Mk 12 is rifle length gas tho, which is definitely what I’d go for.. Douglas makes as good of a button rifled barrel as any other top tier custom barrel makers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clutch_Avery
Craddock Precision.
Curious why you want the SPR profile when you are not using the Allen Engineering suppressor? Also, Why Mid-length gas system?

I have a different reflex suppressor that goes 6” over the barrel. So I need 6” of space between the muzzle and the gas block.

I've had very good results with a White Oak SPR barrel. Other than the gas length and thread pitch, everything else matches your requirements.WOA SPR has rifle length and the thread pitch is 1/2x28.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
I have a WOA 223wyld, shoots pretty good in my opinion. Sub MOA groups with factory match ammo.

I have a barrel being spun up now at Compass Lake Engineering. Doing a 6.5cm 24", hoping to have them bump it to a +2" gas system. I will report back on how it turns out!

Compass Lake will do custom requests like yours for no additional charge over stock options. Definitely the way to go in your case.

they just made me a custom profile, custom gas port, semi custom barrel extension, barrel, and measured my gas block and dimpled the barred two times (for both screws) for regular price, as well as head spacing the barrel extension for my bolt.

Last edited:
Compass Lake will do custom requests like yours for no additional charge over stock options. Definitely the way to go in your case.

they just made me a custom profile, custom gas port, semi custom receiver extension, barrel, and measured my gas block and dimpled the barred two times (for both screws) for regular price, as well as head spacing the receiver extension for my bolt.

That's actually pretty incredible. When it comes time to rebarrel any of my rifles in the future, I think CLE will be my first stop.

Compass Lake has treated me well in the past. Proof Research also makes some of the best-shooting AR-15 barrels I've owned. Doubt they'll do custom specs though.

they just made me a custom profile, custom gas port, semi custom receiver extension, barrel, and measured my gas block and dimpled the barred two times (for both screws) for regular price, as well as head spacing thereceiver extension for my bolt.

you_keep_using_that_word_001-1646915.jpg

Lilja, Krieger or Satern. I prefer Krieger or Satern but don't wait on them to make one, if they have what you want in stock get it or pass. You can order from Krieger or Lilja, they have a wait but it's not that bad few weeks or a month or two, not years on end like Satern for a custom job.

Krieger and Satern are cut rifle. Lilja is button rifle but they make a good button rifle barrel. For the price, I'd rather just get the Krieger and be done with it. 1/7.7 or 1/8 will work well for the 62-77 I think.

OR you can get a KAC upper and be done with it. They use their own in-house cut rifle barrels now.

All four of those are sub-MOA and the best you can get.