• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which cz 457 to sacrifice?

nhdeadhead

Felony Farmer
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2020
I am in the market for a .22 bolt rifle to host a dead air mask and have been leaning towards a 457 w/ a krg bravo.
It will just be used for back yard plinking / target practice under 100yards and I’m interested in the 16.5” barrel. Is that a good choice as far as suppressing goes?
I’m wondering if one model is better than another? Is there a significant difference between the pro varmint & the at-one? I assume the action is the same and the differences are in the stock/barrel options?

If there are any other recommended/necessary upgrades , tips tricks or faults I would be glad to hear about them from people with experience with this set up

The mtr varmint and a couple others have match chambers
The at one and pro varmint do not have match chambers.

Other than that it's personal preference on what stock you like

Reactions: camocorvette
For most the CZ models, if the barrel length and taper are the same, then you are just paying for the different stocks (MTR has a match chamber). Find the barrel length/taper you want, then buy the least expensive model. Best part is, you should easily be able to sell the stock.

Reactions: ZG47A
I have two 457’s with the match chamber and two without. The Match chamber is overrated IMO. A match chamber doesnt help a mediocre barrel much.

Reactions: AZ Dan
I have two 457’s with the match chamber and two without. The Match chamber is overrated IMO. A match chamber doesnt help a mediocre barrel much.
Agreed. My Ol' 455 Tacticool out shoots my friends 457 MTR by a wide margin....same shooter & ammo, 452 - 0.40" and 457 - 0.62". Center-X @ 50 yards.

Reactions: camocorvette
Agreed. My Ol' 455 Tacticool out shoots my friends 457 MTR by a wide margin....same shooter & ammo, 452 - 0.40" and 457 - 0.62". Center-X @ 50 yards.

Ammo is very specific rifle and barrel dependent. I shot 10 lots of Eley Tenex today, and 8 of them shot groups in the 1-1.5", and 2 lots shot 10 shot groups in .4".

MTR barrel is a tighter barrel, and you'll get higher velocity compared to the looser standard barrel. If you don't plan on carrying about the stock, etc and are going to go to the KRG Bravo, then find the cheapest action you can find, like a CZ 457 Scout, and go buy a lilja barrel. That should be bout $450 for a scout, and $300 for a lilja barrel putting you at the same price as you would have just bought a MTR setup.

If you care about utmost precision, don't bother suppressing it. If your goal is just to plink around for fun with a suppressor, then yeh it doesn't matter... just get an at-one and leave it be.

Worth looking into... It comes with a Bentz Match Chambered 416r stainless barrel tensioned inside of a carbon fiber tube, it's already threaded 1/2x28, comes stock with a 2.5 lb. adjustable TriggerTech Rem 700 trigger, a full-length picatinny rail, a carbon fiber stock, and sounds amazing with my Dead Air Mask HD. It also has produced some pretty amazing groups and accuracy, even out to 200 yards.

Specs right off their website...

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 7.06.47 PM.png

Last edited:
If you care about utmost precision, don't bother suppressing it. If your goal is just to plink around for fun with a suppressor, then yeh it doesn't matter... just get an at-one and leave it be.
What??? Suppressing the rifle most of the time increases accuracy by equalizing gasses as the bullet exits the muzzle and passes through the baffle stack, thus stabilizing the bullet and shrinking your groups... Any quality rifle or threading job should not detrimentally affect the accuracy, without their being some other issues at-play.

What??? Suppressing the rifle most of the time increases accuracy by equalizing gasses as the bullet exits the muzzle and passes through the baffle stack, thus stabilizing the bullet and shrinking your groups... Any quality rifle or threading job should not detrimentally affect the accuracy, without their being some other issues at-play.
Which suppressors are the .22 BR and .22 ELR guys using?

Reactions: Parkerized