• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which DBM for 260?

REL1203

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Centreville, VA
So I am finalizing my order for my first custom rifle, going to be a .260 Rem reamed for Lapua Brass. My goal is to use 140g Amax bullets, but i am not opposed to trying 142SMKs. I am going to try to stay away from the expensive Scenars just to save a little, i think the 140Amax will be great. My question is, i am having a tough time trying to figure out which DMB, and more specifically, which Mags to go with for my 260. Right now, I am leaning towards a Manners MCS-T4A. First, i currently have an AICS 1.5 for my 308 w/ 2 10Round AI mags and 1 5round AI mag. If possible, i would love to be able to all share the same Mags. I dont know if I will be able to seat the bullets in a 260 to the lands in an AICS mag with my bullet of choice (140 AMax).

Should I go with the Manners Mini-Chassis and deal with those mags, or should I go with what I really like, the Badger M5 Bottom metal? Any other ideas I should consider? THe rifle is mainly to be used as a 300-1000yard range gun.

Re: Which DBM for 260?

The Mini Chassis uses the same mags as the AICS and Badger DBM. Actually it's made by Badger.

With a custom build and chamber you should have no problem using AI mags and seat close to the lands. I can do it with my Creedmoor and have room to spare.

Is there any other Con to going with mini Chassis direct from Manner vs going with the Badger, they seem to run around the same price?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Mini Chassis uses the same mags as the AICS and Badger DBM. Actually it's made by Badger.

With a custom build and chamber you should have no problem using AI mags and seat close to the lands. I can do it with my Creedmoor and have room to spare. </div></div>

The Mini chassis sounds like the solution you are looking for. I went with a T4A w/mini chassis for my latest build so I've got some skin in the game.

My other bolt guns also run AICS mags and even though they are short actions, I want to keep it consistant with the AICS mags and there are just so many sources for them it really takes the headache out of finding replacements.

No cons at all and actually a few pros of not having to bed the barreled action into the stock and when you get the stock from Manners all you have to do is torque the barreled action into it.

Here's some pics of the mini chassis installed in my current T3. My next T3 will also have it.
PB090249.jpg

PB090250.jpg

So with the mini-chassis, no need for bedding.. didnt think of that... Is there any added benifit of still bedding it cause i know some people still bed AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any other Con to going with mini Chassis direct from Manner vs going with the Badger, they seem to run around the same price? </div></div>are you buying a stock as well? If so, buying a manners stock with mini chassis, they install it nicely to the stock. No charge. Good luck.

Will the mini chassis work with a Badger recoil lug (without modification)? I'm guessing so since they're both made by Badger.

Sorry for the hijack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any other Con to going with mini Chassis direct from Manner vs going with the Badger, they seem to run around the same price? </div></div>are you buying a stock as well? If so, buying a manners stock with mini chassis, they install it nicely to the stock. No charge. Good luck. </div></div>

Yep buying stock with it

I recommend buying all from Manners. I have a TF1 in the making with the mini chassis rat now. Can't wait.Good luck with it.

I spoke to Manners when I ordered a T4A with the Mini Chassis and told them I was going with an oversized lug. They put it in the order and will inlet for it. I haven't got the stock yet but they have been great to deal with so far. Just tell them what you want ... should be good to go!

So after looking into this all night, and considering some of the awesome PMs some of you guys sent me, I have ultimately decided against the mini-chassis. I have 2 chassis guns now (both AICS), and while nice, i decided for this build, i really want something new, i want to go with a fully bedded non-chassis setup. I am still decideding between the Manners T4A vs the McMillian A5 Adj, but have ultimately decided to go with the Badger Bottom metal on whichever i build for my 260...

Thank you all for all the great advice and helpful PMs.

Well don't mean to throw in a wrench at the last minute. But you mentioned doing something new. The Badger setup and Mini Chassis are pretty similar in function.

What about the Surgeon DBM? I have it on my LA match 260 rifle. It is my favorite DBM of all.

I agree with Greene. I just chose my DBM last week and chose the surgeon due to the more understated mag release that looked like it would get snagged less accidentally. I also liked the fact that the metal that goes below the stockline protects the front of the magazine while allowing for a good purchase on the mag when doing mag changes.