• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which devices are listening?

Animal357

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Aug 18, 2020
    So, last night, wife said her office chair was uncomfortable and wanted a new one.

This morning, my Facebook feed (Can't delete, I need for business) had 5 advertisement for office chairs

I have a smart TV with google and iPhones. Which are listening in?

One of the side-benefits of forcing everyone to electric vehicles as well....

Get all the latest tracking and monitoring electronics.

So they KNOW... when I shart and run to the bathroom? Asking for a close friend.

THAT must be why all the adult diaper ads are popping up. :ROFLMAO:

They, whoever that is, knows more about you than you do yourself. Whether they ever use the info is a different story. From where you go, what you purchase, what you look up online, what you do for a living, where your kids go to school, what time you arrive at work and on and on and on. Pretty simple to track most people on spending and vehicle data alone. Add in the cell phone and you can accurately predict most people within 99%. Once they get electric vehicles mainstream it’s going to be even worse.

iPhone is probably the worst offender, add Facebook you are there, then add in all the other smart devices, no one reads all the permissions on apps/devices.

Our smart TV is on a powerstrip that is off when not being watched.
    I wonder how secure a phone can be made today?

If you're looking for a Faraday container to keep your phone isolated, be aware that there are faraday dry bags on the market as well. They're not very expensive, so if you're going that route anyways you might as well protect against water at the same time.

Or better yet, just throw the damned phone into the river without a dry bag.

If you're looking for a Faraday container to keep your phone isolated, be aware that there are faraday dry bags on the market as well. They're not very expensive, so if you're going that route anyways you might as well protect against water at the same time.

Or better yet, just throw the damned phone into the river without a dry bag.
    Or just turn the phone off…

• Haha
    Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Of it has a microphone and the ability to transmit it listening.

Or.

If it can log or check data and has the ability to transmit that data. It’s listening.

My Lady just picked up a tv that we will be using simply for/as a 'monitor' for security cameras. In plugging it in, turning it on, there's eleventy different questions and whatnot that we have to go through and select.

One of which specifically asked: we use the microphone to hear comments and opinions of certain things (or something like that...) and I selected 'skip'. It keeps on asking about/talking about 'connecting to the innerwebz' and whatnot. This is for a system that is 'stand-alone' and not connected to anything.

Still haven't gotten this thing up and running, yet. I'm not sure if it is a wiring issue on this end, or if the tv is preventing itself from working because I'm not 'giving it everything it wants'. Funny.... all I WANT is a 'screen'.

I work with a few Indians (from India). I left my phone one day and for the next MONTH or two I was getting ads and YouTube suggestions in Hindi. There is no question that phones or other devices are used in nefarious ways including spying on you.

My friend who I was working at her place has an Alexa.

I asked it “Why is Jeff Bezos such a scumbag AND a little bitch?”

“Sorry, I cannot find that answer.”

Hilarious.

And yeah. All of em.

Reactions: camocorvette
    About 3-4 years ago was having a conversation about an old friend I hadn’t seen or spoken to in 10 years to someone that did not know him. Next time I logged into Facebook, first person in my people you may know suggestions was guess who?? That is a 1 in 7,000,000,000 coincidence. Yes, I believe they are listening, deleted FB soon after.

If u have an I phone, ask siri if she is spying on you and see whats she says.

Turn off siri in your settings, there are other things you can turn off too. I block all tracking cookies unless its a site like this one that requires them, that will stop some of the ad tracking too.

My facebook news feed blows up every time some celebrity posts a topless photo on Instagram. Needless to say, from the looks of the articles, I don't think I'm the intended audience.

If “they” are going to use it against you…

limiting tracking now after 15 years of data is like moving deck chairs on the titanic.

Don’t waste your time

Thank God President Obama deleted the word "gullible" from the dictionary by executive order.....

Tempest (codename) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Tempest_(codename)
    TEMPEST is a U.S. National Security Agency specification and a NATO certification referring to spying on information systems through leaking emanations, including unintentional radio or electrical signals, sounds, and vibrations. TEMPEST covers both methods to spy upon others and how to shield equipment against such spying.

https://apps.nsa.gov › iaarchive › programs › iad-initiatives › tempest.cfm
    The TEMPEST Certification Program (TCP) consists of three closely related NSA programs: the Certified TEMPEST Products Program, the Certified TEMPEST Test Services Program, and the Zoned Equipment Program. Each of these programs involves partnerships with industrial companies.

ECHELON,TEMPEST, they have been of huge benefit to our security from adversaries over the decades.
    Sadly, as with all double bladed weapons, the edge inwards is as sharp as the blade facing your foe.

the greatest listening device man has ever created

3405_47543_p1.jpg

71BA+3gXyjL._AC_SX425_.jpg

creating quiet kids and wives for over a hundred years .. The sound of silence is flat gray
    next to one of these
    old-mens-leather-belt-with-worn-notches-2EA2X7M.jpg

Last edited:
    My Lady just picked up a tv that we will be using simply for/as a 'monitor' for security cameras. In plugging it in, turning it on, there's eleventy different questions and whatnot that we have to go through and select.

One of which specifically asked: we use the microphone to hear comments and opinions of certain things (or something like that...) and I selected 'skip'. It keeps on asking about/talking about 'connecting to the innerwebz' and whatnot. This is for a system that is 'stand-alone' and not connected to anything.

Still haven't gotten this thing up and running, yet. I'm not sure if it is a wiring issue on this end, or if the tv is preventing itself from working because I'm not 'giving it everything it wants'. Funny.... all I WANT is a 'screen'.
    For that, you have to actually buy a "Monitor" and STILL no guarantees that it isn't listening.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    They don't need to be "listening". Everything is monitored.

Many months back on a different (and supposedly "secure") discussion forum I was browsing, the question of the bucket shot in the movie "Quigly down under" came up.

I live alone, I didn't talk about this with anyone.

Next time I opened Netflix, guess what the first recommended movie was.

Reactions: DIBBS
    (From a technical standpoint, for those that care, my guess is DNS requests are being intercepted by the ISP and the data sold.)