• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Which Dial Calipers?

AR-10 Shooter

Minuteman
Dec 1, 2004
Virginia
Thinking of using eBay to get a new dial caliper. I'm a Starrett fan but heard that Starrett is now Chineese and people prefer Mitutoyo over Starrett.

If so, which Mitu model?

Thanks much,

CT

Re: Which Dial Calipers?

I have Starrett, Mitutoyo and Brown and Sharpe. My digital ones are Federal and Brown & Sharpe. I like Starrett and Mitutoyo almost equally. The main thing now that I'm not working any longer is the price.

The main thing I would look at is to be sure it has a .100" per revolution face. It may not matter to you. But in years to come it makes it easier to read.

Starrett all the way. They are made in the USA. I have had excellent luck with all their products that I own. They do cost a bit more, but the reward I get from using them is priceless. But, they aren't for everyone. JPG

Do you want dial or digital or does it matter? The reason I ask is that a toolmaker remarked that he prefers digital, as they don't have any gears to skip. Apparently he had an adverse experience with that in the past.

Personally, when it isn't critical, I grab the one off dial calipers (had them forever). No batteries, easy to use. Otherwise I reach for the digital Mitutoyos.

Whatever you buy, get good ones. Buy once, cry once. Same thing for other indicators. I bought some cheap import test indicators. Ended up buying some not so cheap Brown and Sharpes.

my $150 mitutoyo dial calipers measure exactly the same as my $15 harbor freight dial calipers. i still keep the mitutoyos in the shop and the harbor freights around the house for reloading and other miscellaneous things.

edit: take a look at enco's "hot deals" fliers. they always have something on sale.

When I started my tool maker's apprentice traing we had to take the little "key" that comes with them and learn to skip the gears to get it set back within 2 or 3 marks of correct. With time and patience you can get perfect at it.

I use dials most of the time.

I have some of all of the above, and as much as it pains me to say so, the $15 Chinese ones work as well as the $200 ones. They are even almost as smooth!

I'd reccomend staying away from the digitals. Never seen one that was as reliable as a gear driven dial.

I was told by my instructors when I was in school Starret all the way unless they are digital then Mit. or BS b/c Starrets had an issue with repeatability, they could be fixed now. The deal with the chinese is up to you but I know everytime I use my Mitutoyo's I am not worried about the acc. or if I am in the middle of something they wont take a shit on me. Ive been burnt way to many times from china. You can watch ebay a find good name brands for under 100. your choice

I forgot to mention. No matter where you are working. No matter what you are doing. Keep the case handy and when you pick them up out of the case, don't lay them down until you put them right back in the case. One bounce on a concrete floor and you have a nice expensive paperweight.

Just go to harbor freight and buy a $15 set of dial calipers....If you need to measure more accurately then that, you should be using a micrometer anyway!!!

I have and old set of vernier calipers and a precision square that were made by Mauser.

I have owned all the major brands including a few digital i like the brown and sharp dial the best very very smooth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my $150 mitutoyo dial calipers measure exactly the same as my $15 harbor freight dial calipers. i still keep the mitutoyos in the shop and the harbor freights around the house for reloading and other miscellaneous things.

edit: take a look at enco's "hot deals" fliers. they always have something on sale. </div></div>
Couldn't have said it better myself.

StarrettCaliper001.jpg

Still made in the USA as far as I know....I've had this one three years. It works well.

i think starret has entry level tools now that may be chinese. i'd find it very hard to believe everything with a starrett name on it is chinese.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think starret has entry level tools now that may be chinese. i'd find it very hard to believe everything with a starrett name on it is chinese. </div></div>

The last set of Starret 8 inch calipers I saw in the shop where I work looked like Chinese. I wasn't impressed. I like my Brown & Sharpe calipers.

My first set of calipers just went to crap on me last week. It is skipping gears and all over the place. I have had them for many years. They were a cheap set of Frankford Arsenal. I am about to buy a nice caliper. Good thread.