• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which die set?

NativeCraft

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Wilson, NC
So, Midway keeps not having the Lee Pacesetter 3-die set that I ordered in Feb. of this year, so perhaps I should look into another mfrs. die set.
What do y'all recommend?
BTW, I'll be loading for .223 in an AR.

Re: Which die set?

For .223/AR usage, a basic 2 die set, I'd suggest RCBS, is quite adequate. The more elegant refinements of handloading could be more or less wasted when crafting AR fodder.

Greg

My favorite is the Redding "S" F/L bushing die and the standard Redding seater. That is what I use to load for my AR, along with a crimp die like the Redding or the Lee FC.

Oh, yes; the Lee FC might have a valid use for AR fodder. If extraction issues are involved, consider a small base f/l resizer die, but such a refinement might not be wise unless it is really needed. Simple is best.

Under what circumstances would I need a crimp die? I don't recall seeing a crimp on any of the club ammo I've "borrowed" recently for Service Rifle matches - though, the crimp may not really be visible?

I run my AR ammo through a progressive press.
Because of this there is no added effort to crimp.
I do it becuase I can, easily.
Do I need it?
I have not observed bullets moving so I cannot answer that.

As to the small base die....my Redding "S" is a small base.
I have loaded and fired about 1000 reloads through my AR without a single failure of any kind.....NONE. My brass seems to be lasting very well. I have no complaints with it.

"What do y'all recommend?"

Waiting. And getting the Delux set instead. You can easily add the crimper later, if you really want one.

I have a set of brand new RCBS dies in 223 ..... if you are interested let me know. I have never used them to load or size a single round.