• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which do you prefer?

GoatLD259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
United States
Good Morning Hide.

For those here who compete in both PRS/NRL and USPSA, which do you prefer and why? I compete in USPSA currently and enjoy it. I have shot a couple PRS style events and have enjoyed it as well.

In USPSA, a club will have a match every week, and each state have a section match. You also have your area matches, and national matches.

What I have noticed about PRS/NRL, is that clubs don’t have weekly matches as much, but a competition once or twice a month. But do have a points series such as a Border Wars competitions. But does PRS/NRL have national matches? The USPSA just has back to back national matches.

Those competing in PRS/NRL, how many matches do you participate in monthly, yearly?

Goat

I may be a little different, since I'm a MD for NRL22. NOT counting my own match, I usually hit 2 or 3 local 1 day PRS centerfire matches per month and 2 Two day NRL matches per year, in addition to 1 or 2 NRL22 matches per month. I, typically, don't shoot my own NRL22 match, but I will occasionally (maybe 4-5 times a year).

My intent is to shoot 5 PRS/NRL 2 day matches next year, along with 1 or 2 Guardian matches. However, April 1 I will retire from my real job, too. At 51yrs old, I think I still have enough in the gas tank to keep that schedule, along with as many local matches as I can shoot.

I may be a little different, since I'm a MD for NRL22. NOT counting my own match, I usually hit 2 or 3 local 1 day PRS centerfire matches per month and 2 Two day NRL matches per year, in addition to 1 or 2 NRL22 matches per month. I, typically, don't shoot my own NRL22 match, but I will occasionally (maybe 4-5 times a year).

My intent is to shoot 5 PRS/NRL 2 day matches next year, along with 1 or 2 Guardian matches. However, April 1 I will retire from my real job, too. At 51yrs old, I think I still have enough in the gas tank to keep that schedule, along with as many local matches as I can shoot.
Thank you for the response. Does the NRL/PRS have a national match at end of year similar to what USPSA does?

Clubs around here also have a points match during the season, that gets added up to determine a winner at the end of the year.

Goat

Thank you for the response. Does the NRL/PRS have a national match at end of year similar to what USPSA does?

Clubs around here also have a points match during the season, that gets added up to determine a winner at the end of the year.

Goat

Yes. The PRS finale is Nov 8, 2021 in Raton, NM. The NRL championship is Apr 22-24, 2022 in Grand Junction, Co.

I prefer .45 and Mil .😚
Ok grandpa...go back to your Worther's Originals and reruns of Matlock...

Narrator: Mcameron didnt know it yet, but ATD was already plotting his murder, and his latest comments just sealed the deal in ATD's mind....later that day, Mcameron will find a Worther's Original on his pillow, and he will know, the gig is up...

I prefer shooting precision rifle, and gave up USPSA. In my area, there is comraderie and long term friendships amongst us that travel around to shoot locally and outside of the area. It seemed to me that USPSA and Three gun lost that a while back. I know almost everyone in a three state area that shoots precision rifle, and a majority of those I consider friends, do stuff with outside of shooting, have a place to stay out of town, etc. USPSA in our area lost that years ago.

I try to shoot a club match every month in the two leagues we have in WY, and try to make a couple of two day matches every year

Reactions: Alphatreedog
I like precision rifle shooting but PRS has few events, they're very far from me, and extremely expensive. Unless PRS develops some club-level matches like USPSA, you will find me at the USPSA matches.....which I have been shooting for 17 years now.

The prize tables ruined PRS.

I'd love to do some PRS stuff, but there's nothing close to me, and with ammo costs it's just not feasible for me. So I've been getting a NRL22 rig put together and plan to shoot some NRL22/NRL22X matches next year.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
I like precision rifle shooting but PRS has few events, they're very far from me, and extremely expensive. Unless PRS develops some club-level matches like USPSA, you will find me at the USPSA matches.....which I have been shooting for 17 years now.

The prize tables ruined PRS.

There aren't any club level matches in your area? Hell, a majority of the precision rifle matches around here are one day club matches by a vast majority. There usually 2-3 a month within a couple of hours from my house. We have to travel for two day PRS/NRL matches.

There aren't any club level matches in your area? Hell, a majority of the precision rifle matches around here are one day club matches by a vast majority. There usually 2-3 a month within a couple of hours from my house. We have to travel for two day PRS/NRL matches.
Nope. Out west, the states are huge. The closest matches I know of for PRS style shooting are in Albuquerque--over 200 miles away. And even those aren't held that often.

Nope. Out west, the states are huge. The closest matches I know of for PRS style shooting are in Albuquerque--over 200 miles away. And even those aren't held that often.
Yeah, I'm in Wyoming, so I understand the geography. I guess we are just lucky to have two precision rifle leagues up here.

For USPSA matches the closest club is an hour away. However, that club is small and only gets about 5-10 guys a week to their match, that is only 2-3 stages. So I end up driving 2 hours or so to shoot at a club that gets 40-50 shooters a week, and has 4 stages. PRS will be similar for me as well. But, to do what I enjoy, I have to do it.

Goat

For USPSA matches the closest club is an hour away. However, that club is small and only gets about 5-10 guys a week to their match, that is only 2-3 stages. So I end up driving 2 hours or so to shoot at a club that gets 40-50 shooters a week, and has 4 stages. PRS will be similar for me as well. But, to do what I enjoy, I have to do it.

Goat

I have 3 USPSA matches a month within an hour drive (4 stages) and steel challenge. If I wanted to shoot IDPA there's two of those per month here and probably another one 40 minutes away. We also have 3 gun once a month or so, which I rarely do but it's there.