• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Eberlystock pack for hunting

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
Which pack do I want for general hunting applications. I am most concerned about calling coyotes. I will also be traveling to and from the stand. I want to carry my fox pro. hats gloves drink snacks ect. And of course put my rifle in the scabbard. Do you like them if you have one? No overnighters. Day trips only. Moist likely two or three hours at a time. Which one do you recomend?

Re: Which Eberlystock pack for hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which pack do I want for general hunting applications. I am most concerned about calling coyotes. I will also be traveling to and from the stand. I want to carry my fox pro. hats gloves drink snacks ect. And of course put my rifle in the scabbard. Do you like them if you have one? No overnighters. Day trips only. Moist likely two or three hours at a time. Which one do you recomend? </div></div>

The X1 pack they offer would be great for your application. The scabbard is integrated and there are pockets for a hydration bladder, callers & remote, etc. There are also numerous tie points if you want to attach your skinning knife or whatever else you'd like to access without opening a pocket. The straps are fully adjustable & can comfortably fit pretty much any build.
I actually use this pack for deer & hog hunting in south Alabama and for deer & coyote at a farm in Tennessee. Mine is in Mossy Oak Breakup and has worked very well & help up under a pretty tough regimen this season.
Best of luck to you. I can give you a 'Hide member discount if you're interested
grin.gif
since I'm an Eberlestock dealer. Yes, I'm a little biased but the packs are great!

Hey Todd,

It sounds like the Mini Me is right up your ally. Just buy either the A1SS or A2SS Scabbard, to go along with it, then insert into expansion tunnel and you should be GTG.

http://www.eberlestock.com/H1%20Mini-Me.htm

The X1A1 would work as well, but I'm not too crazy about the scabbard sitting off to one side of the pack, but here's a link as well.

http://www.eberlestock.com/introducing_the_x__project.htm

LOL, you might get a little shit from some of the other members here, because this question gets asked a lot. Just have some fun with it. Hahahaha! I've asked this Q myself.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...856#Post1161856

Good luck,

-Pat

The X-1 in my opion was to small to really being able to carry any meat out..It's a great pack for packing and hicking with nice thought out pockets..I went with the gunslinger, it was a little bigger and great for carrying quarters out after a kill.I dont recall the name of the bigger pack but it was almost to big.More for carrying all your camping gear also,for a pack in trip which I don't do..The only other thing I wouldadd is check out e-bay I got a near new pack for less than half the normal price..
mad.gif

I dont want too much pack but the mini me seems too small to carry my caller and extra stuff I like to pack. That would be face cover, hand warmer, tobagan, extra gloves, little bit of food, Most likley a diet mt dew range finder and binos. I really want to keep it loaded all the time with stuff I need then just change rifle according to application. Are they comfortable? Do you find them to be too much trouble over just a sling and a seperate pack? Can I fit my rife with a sitting style bipod attached. If I have to attach every time I set up it would counter productive. They just really seem like they would be great to keep it all together and throw in the truck when I go or to just leave in the truck all the time?

Todd,

You may want to consider the Gunslinger as well. I understand that it may be a little bigger than what you need, but that's no big deal at all. If you don't fill it to the brim with gear, you can just use the compression straps to "shrink" the pack down so everything you do stuff in there is nice and tight. Another benefit of having the larger pack would be if you ever shoot something your going to eat you will have the ability/room to pack the animal back to your truck.

-Pat

I just went though a few years of buying > Selling > buying > selling > buying packs for hunting.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Camelback HAWG</span> - too small

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gunslinger</span> - too big

<span style="font-weight: bold">X1A1</span> - still too big, not so much that it carries too much, but that the scabbard makes it a bulky pack and I found that I just don't use the scabbard very often, so it's extra bulk for no real reason.

I now have settled on what I feel is perfect for me.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Eberlestoc X2</span> It a good size with good storage and good supension. It carries a heavy load very well. It doesn't have a scabbard built in, but I'm gonna have a friend that sews gear fix that for me with a little roll out pouch for the buttstock and the rifle can be held tight in the butterfly wings.

x2-2.jpg

x2-3.jpg

Todd, my X1 is my go to pack for coyote calling. I'd say it is exactly what you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P M P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The X-1 in my opion was to small to really being able to carry any meat out..It's a great pack for packing and hicking with nice thought out pockets..I went with the gunslinger, it was a little bigger and great for carrying quarters out after a kill.I dont recall the name of the bigger pack but it was almost to big.More for carrying all your camping gear also,for a pack in trip which I don't do..The only other thing I wouldadd is check out e-bay I got a near new pack for less than half the normal price..
mad.gif
</div></div>

I'm also looking at the gunslinger. Not necessariliy to carry meat, but because it is the only pack with a scabbard big enough to carry a full tactical rifle (w/ bipod and tactical scope) or an AR for coyote.

The X2 was designed as a smaller pack that could still carry lots of weight, people have tested the X2 for this and found that it works well.

X2HB%20w%20qtr%20fs.jpg

Also, really think about how much you will use a built in scabbard. Like I said, I thought it would be a good think, but then found I seldom used it and it was just wasted space and bulk.

I think I would use the scabbard alot. But I dont have one so I dont know. It seems like the way to go to me. Get out the truck throw it on walk to the setup start calling. Finish calling load rifle, caller, jack in the box, back up and go again. Seldom have to be fast out of the gate with my calling rifle and or kit. Might be solving a problem I dont have. It just looks like a good way to go to carry everything together. Colowyo do you use the scabbard or just the pack and a sling?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would use the scabbard alot. But I dont have one so I dont know. It seems like the way to go to me. Get out the truck throw it on walk to the setup start calling. Finish calling load rifle, caller, jack in the box, back up and go again. Seldom have to be fast out of the gate with my calling rifle and or kit. Might be solving a problem I dont have. It just looks like a good way to go to carry everything together. Colowyo do you use the scabbard or just the pack and a sling? </div></div>

Sounds like it does make sense for you. I just wanted you to think about it because I really thought it would be handy, but in the end I found that I prefer to carry my rifle most of the time and it only comes in handy every once in awhile, but still it adds lots of bulk to the pack.

For me just a small roll out stock sling like this would be better.

badlands.jpg

And I can have one made to attach to the pals webbing inside the bat wings on the X2.

Todd, I always use the scabbard when out calling dogs. I use shooting sticks instead of a bi-pod when coyote calling, so I have no problem just throwing the Remington 700 VS or my AR-15 Varmint in the scabbard. Although my Varmint AR with a bi-pod and Leupy will fit all the way up to the trigger.

I will say that backpacks are a lot like women. You really have to try a few before you find one worth sticking with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Todd,

You may want to consider the Gunslinger as well. I understand that it may be a little bigger than what you need, but that's no big deal at all. If you don't fill it to the brim with gear, you can just use the compression straps to "shrink" the pack down so everything you do stuff in there is nice and tight. Another benefit of having the larger pack would be if you ever shoot something your going to eat you will have the ability/room to pack the animal back to your truck.

-Pat </div></div>

+1 for gunslinger first or second gen