• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which entry level, long range, hunting rifle?

Yugga

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2019
After watching me put together my first ‘do it all’ long range rifle, my college age son decided he wanted to do the same.

He’s been working double shifts, has the funds, and he’s done some research.

Caliber-.308 (I couldn’t talk him into 6.5 CM)
Purpose-Mulies & Elk mostly. Some long range tgt and some whitetail.
Price point-$500-$950.
Scope-I set him up w a Leupold VX6

He asked for your input on the following rifles: Tikka T3x Forest, Sako A7 Roughtech, Winchester 70 Sporter Grade, Tikka T3X Lite

Favorites? Love/Hate? Whats he missing? I’m surprised he didn’t include XBolt. He said he read some bad stuff on Rem700 QC.

All input appreciated.
Thanks for any insights. We are just getting into the rifle scene after years of bird hunting.

The tikka's are great rifles. The kimber 84M's are great in that price range too. Definitely more aftermarket love for the Tikka's these days and it's probably where I'd be leaning.

I am hapy with all my Tikkas, if I was betting that's where id put my money.

The tikkas are good. He should also check out the Howa Barreled Action at Brownells and Boyd’s or stockys for a nice hunting stock.
All manufacturers have about 3% bad that slip through QC. Remington sells more rifles than the rest so the number of bad ones is more but they still have about the same percentage of bad ones as any other rifle manufacturer.
The Remingtons are fine rifles. I’ve seen 3 new Remington 700 adl varmints in 6.5cm with 26” heavy barrels in the last few weeks and all were sub moa rifles right out the box and none cost more than $500. Nothing special about that and I’m sure any of the other companies rifles would do as good. The fact remains Remington is the largest and there’s more stuff for them. If they didn’t have a good design there wouldn’t be so many custom actions using their basic design.
He won’t be unhappy with any of the 3 that I mentioned.

Not sure where you're located but there were some Howa 1500 on clearance at Cabela's in Acworth, GA for $500 or so. Green stock, was pretty nice.

There was a couple 6.5CM, one 308, and a couple 300 WM. Only reason I didn't negotiate a price on one myself was because I'd have to wait in a long line and I was busy.

My Experience with the Savage Predator is solid and satisfying.

Mine is chambered in 260, and has a consistent record of bringing down NY Upstate Whitetails, which run bigger. It is available chambered in several other excellent calibers, including 308. The .308 works well, and there are even better chamberings available for hunting bigger game.

I also suggest the Vortex Crossfire 4-12x50 to improve the reach of the rifle, making it better out to greater distances, especially under lower light conditions. An affordable and rugged scope base with 20MOA slope can maximize the usable scope adjustment range. Rugged (high) rings will allow more confidence, and accommodate the 50mm objective; order two, the displayed price is per single ring.

Greg

Last edited:
The T3x lite Is very light. I had concerns about it on heating up for range use. Hunting would be great. I convinced a coworker to go with a CTR in 6.5cm. He's very happy with it.
I was impressed with the out of the box accuracy.