• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Which factory 6.5 ammo for mule deer/aoudad/pigs

westtexasrancher

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2014
Sierra Blanca, TX
Hi guys. I have a savage 10fcp-SR with a 20" 6.5CM barrel in route (will wear a SiCo Hybrid whenever is used). It will be used as a multi-purpose deer rifle, both walking (using a backpack sling) and sitting on a stand. Normally we will get out before sunrise and wait until an hour after sunrise, and then start walking, staying on the hills and higher ground. I do not reload anymore, and only plan to shoot factory ammo. I plan to get the top hunting choices and test them, see what shoots better, and then only buy that kind of ammo for practice and hunting. I plan to do some 1k+ yard shooting (I have only shot .338lapua that far), and hunting out to 3-400 (and further on javelina/coyotes). Thanks guys.

Background: used to hunt a lot, was a PH and guide for 5 years or so, never shot mulies or aoudad past 320 yards or so (field conditions with sporter type bolt guns, no prone or rested shooting), now I don't do much hunting. When I do, I want to have the best ammo for the job. Recently I have been guiding buddies and not even carrying a deer rifle (got rid of them all and replaced with AR's), but I want to get into hunting again, so I bought this rifle. Thanks.

I planned on using amax ammo, didn't realize it was discontinued.

My top choices are ELDm 140's, prime 130's. Price is also a concern, as I want to choose 1 kind of ammo and shoot it exclusively, don't want to spend 40-50 a box.

I think the Hornady 129 SST or Interlock will give you the best compromise between weight and penetration.

Don't discount the Hornady American Whitetail ammo with the 129 grain Interlock. Thats an awesome deer bullet and reports have been great accuracy too.

I don't see that round working well at 500-1000 yards. The interbond maybe. I killed lots of deer with soft point ammo, but it's not what I want for long distance. I want one round that I can shoot 0-1000 yards with, and take hunting if I want.

My top choices are ELDm 140's, prime 130's. Price is also a concern, as I want to choose 1 kind of ammo and shoot it exclusively, don't want to spend 40-50 a box.

I put a finishing shot thru a big Kansas whitetail's neck at 75-80 yards with a 140 ELDM out of my 20" 260. It did not expand at all. I would stick with the 143 ELDX, 129 American Whitetail, or the 130 Prime ammo. The Prime 130 put that buck down out of my son's RPR in 6.5 CM, he just didn't know he was dead. You can also sell the Prime brass if you don't reload.

Last edited:
I have a 26 inch 6.5 CM barrel and have personally shot deer at 225 and 404 yards with the 129gr SST factory ammo. The 225 yard shot was a perfect double lung and deer dropped dead without taking a step. Upon examining deer there was an exit hole about the size of a golf ball. The 404 yard shot was a neck/spine shot which was immediately lights out for the deer.

The 129 SST is really accurate out of my Criterion barrel on my savage shooting about 0.3-0.5 moa and average velocity is 3032 fps verified with my magneetospeed. The BC isnt as good as the match bullets and therefore loses its accuracy past 700 yards for me.

Don't hesitate to use the new 143 eld-x or any of the eld-m as they are essentially amax bullets with new tips and there's an entire thread floating around somewhere of AMAX bullets being used on game with stellar results.

Test as many offerings as time and funds will allow. Then, choose the load that is most accurate in YOUR rifle. Just my .02

Very happy with the prime130's as well are many others, very reasonably price for the quality.

I've used a 140 a-max for years until last season when I switched to the 140 ELD-m. It performed fine on my 553 yard shot on this guy.
Montana%202016%20034.jpg

Now that the 147 ELD is out, I'll be using that as I want every advantage I can get in the wind.

Also, keep in mind the difference in the ELD M & X is only the thickness of the jacket with the X having a thicker jacket to delay expansion... On deer I'd choose the M. I've read reports of both failing to expand for other hunters just like any bullet out there. Every bullet can fail depending on the impact velocity, location, angle and matter that it travels through.