• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which Folding Chassis?

C_R_Slacker

Slowpoke R.
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
So I've been thinking about upgrading my current chassis to a folding model. I didn't really see the benefit of one, especially given the added cost, but recently I've found myself thinking it would be nice to have for various reasons. I don't intent to carry folded, so I don't think left folding or right folding really matters for my application. I just want one to make cleaning a little easier and to give me more options for storage and transport. Right now I'm thinking MDT ESS, XLR Envy, or KRG Whiskey 3. I'm not a fan of the buttstock design on MPA or AI, so those are out. My initial thought is the XLR Envy because of the ability to have a much shorter length of pull. I've been running about 13.25-13.5 which is as short as most chassis go, but I've been thinking about experimenting with shorter, so it would be nice to have that option, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

Of the three, what do you recommend? Any others I'm leaving out?

Ive had the XLR, MPA, and KRG. Of those, the KRG has the best folding mechanism. Solid lock up, locks in folded position, feels high quality. Like you said I am not the biggest fan of the MPA's folding mechanism, but their non folders are top notch. Same goes for XLR. Their buffer tube folding mechanism is "okay" for storage, but it just swings around and can smack the side of the rifle (it's just a hinge). It locks in the open position, but wasnt as solid as the KRG.
Its not bad, and XLR chassis are excellent, and they have the best customer service in the business, but for folders, KRG is my go to.

If you like the pistol grip, AX is one of the best buttstocks on the market.

Doesn’t look like much at first glance. Then you realize how sturdy and adjustable it is.

Shit. Just saw you don’t like AI

Haha, the reason is because i like buttstocks with a slope for riding a bag. I like to make large adjustments with the slope, then fine tune it by squeezing my bag. I know AI makes top notch stuff, and if the buttstock was a little different they would definitely be on the list.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Magpul Pro 700. I’ve been beating one around since their release and will be shooting this season. There are lots of point of adjustment and I do like the overall ergonomics. I’m kinda surprised they are not talked about more frequently.

Also, had a chance to handle one of JP’s new chassis last week at my local range and it’s nice.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Magpul Pro 700. I’ve been beating one around since their release and will be shooting this season. There are lots of point of adjustment and I do like the overall ergonomics. I’m kinda surprised they are not talked about more frequently.

Also, had a chance to handle one of JP’s new chassis last week at my local range and it’s nice.

Forgot about those, thanks

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
Cadex chassis feel pretty nice. Not a huge fan of the grip but the butt folds and locks in pretty nicely.

I’m also surprised the magpul doesn’t get a lot of attention.

Very underrated chassis IMO.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Haha, the reason is because i like buttstocks with a slope for riding a bag. I like to make large adjustments with the slope, then fine tune it by squeezing my bag. I know AI makes top notch stuff, and if the buttstock was a little different they would definitely be on the list.

ive been on a AI bag rider thread
there are 2-3 guys working on some slanted riders as we speak
im going to chop one together myself, while i wait.

if the butt hook is the only issue holding you back from a AI...youll be disappointed with the other ones

IMO

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
I'd go with the Magpul Pro 700 it's got the most versatility.

On a slightly related note...
With a non-folding XLR envy, how do you clean the barrel? The cheek piece isn't tooless. Am i missing something or do you have to wrench on the cheek piece so you can get your bolt out and a cleaning rod through the action?

With a non-folding XLR envy, how do you clean the barrel? The cheek piece isn't tooless. Am i missing something or do you have to wrench on the cheek piece so you can get your bolt out and a cleaning rod through the action?

most chassis are like that
non folder means removing the cheek piece
if you can change from hex or allen caps to thumb screws, lets you leave the tools in the drawer

Take a look at PDC Custom. The hinge is tension adjustable, so you can either get the lockup tuned how you want it, and the release button is nice and large without being in the way. The hinge locks in both the open and closed positions. I've run several of them over the years (Currently an X Project and a Gen5 Competition) and have never had an issue with the folder on any of them.

Edit to add: Since you mentioned length of pull, PDC also offers a shortened stock that lets you go well under 13" LOP while keeping the ability to go longer. You can also get it with a shortened trigger reach (IE: distance from grip to trigger face), if that's something you think would help you.

Last edited:
most chassis are like that
non folder means removing the cheek piece
if you can change from hex or allen caps to thumb screws, lets you leave the tools in the drawer

Right, i have a krg and it's just a thumbscrew and it has posts with o-rings so it goes right back where i had it. Annoying, but super easy. Same with recoil pad. I have to loosen it and turn it sideways to get my cleaning rod through. It annoys me enough, but thinking about that xlr and having to wrench on it every time i wanted to push a patch through makes my head hurt, haha.

Take a look at PDC Custom. The hinge is tension adjustable, so you can either get the lockup tuned how you want it, and the release button is nice and large without being in the way. The hinge locks in both the open and closed positions. I've run several of them over the years (Currently an X Project and a Gen5 Competition) and have never had an issue with the folder on any of them.

Edit to add: Since you mentioned length of pull, PDC also offers a shortened stock that lets you go well under 13" LOP while keeping the ability to go longer. You can also get it with a shortened trigger reach (IE: distance from grip to trigger face), if that's something you think would help you.

Thanks, will do

Thanks, will do

FYI, the Gen5 models aren't on the website last I checked, but there are photos on the Facebook page. The biggest thing the Gen5 models offer over the older models is a RRS/Arca rail (and it fits beautifully with an Anvil ball head) in addition to the Anschutz rail in both the handguard and the spigot of the Competition models. They also have a fixed but replacable barricade stop right in front of the mag well. You will need to contact Craig (the owner) directly to get info on the shortened LOP/grip options, but his phone number is on the website.

I just dropped the cheek piece.
I made a shim so I could get it back to spec quickly.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
I got a 700 chassis last year, I am surprised you don’t hear much about them. Super solid chassis and the hinge works great. Adjustable grip is pretty cool as well.

OH! Ive also had the Magpul 700 Pro chassis, I shoulda weighed in on that earlier when I said I liked KRG's mechanism the best. Compared to the KRG, the Magpul Pro is just as solid, and while it doesnt lock in the folded position, it has a detent that helps keep it folded until you want to unfold it.
As far as buttstock shape, the KRG has an optional angled bag rider that you'd probably like (I love it), and the Magpul Pro's stock is already angled.
I actually prefer the design of the tooless buttstock Magpul has, but I prefer the grip, and forend of the KRG. So while I still like KRG the best, the Magpul's buttstock is easily one of my favorites. If you get a chance to feel em both out, thats the best way to decide. That was the only way i was able to determine that I personally liked the grip of the KRG more.