• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Folding Stock is Best?

Which Folding Stock is Best?

• AICS 2.0

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • AICS AX

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Manners TF4 (or other TF)

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • McRee

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I'm building a Rem. 700 SA with an 18" Bartlein. I'd like it to be compact for back-packing and other travel, so I'm looking for a folding stock. I don't have an opportunity to try any of them out, an they're all a bit pricey, so I'm looking to tap some of the expertise on this site. So . . . Which one?

AICS 2.0
AICS AX
Manners TF4 (or other TF)
McRee

Had an aics and have a manners tf4a. They both lock up solid with no play at all. The only complaint is with the stock folded to the left the rifle gets a little bit wider and the bolt snags a little going in and out of a backpack. I will be getting the new right hand folding ax asap and hopefully it will clear the bolt handle on the defiance deviant.

I have a McRees Precision folder on my 18" .308 and I love it. It makes the shorty extremely handy and solid, but it is heavy. I have a 16.5" .243 in a B&C stock and it feels completely different. It feels much lighter and a lot handier. It would be the one that I would pack in, even with the added length. Both of these are Remington 700 with heavy barrels.

Last edited:
McRee is quite a bit cheaper than the others, so that's what I have. If cost were no object I think I'd have a Manners for weight and not being such a big chunk of metal. Still the McRees is great if you like a pistol grip. You can use any AR-15 grip that doesn't have the tail.

I have a Mcree and really like it. It is a little cheaper but put it is on the heavy side. It weighs almost the same as an AICS 1.5 my rifle came on.

While I haven't had my hands on with the Manners, I've had a McRee for close to 2yrs. And picked up an AI AE at Christmas. Both work great, the big plus is the ability to customize the stock for the best possible fit. Since most of use 20moa scope rail, we need a taller comb height. The extra weight can be bother some if you are in a situation that requires you to carry for long periods. A big plus they don't require bedding and offer clearance for heavy barrels. I have had my MeRee on two different barreled actions, with no shift in zero point.

Last edited:
tt66,
How is that .243 performing with that barrel length? What load are you running?
photo_zps93906e70.jpg

It started out as a 26" VLS, I sent it to Russell at Scout Supply Co and he trued everything up, set the barrel back and rechambered it, cut the barrel to 16.5" and threaded. It is in a Bell & Carlson stock that is skim bedded. with PTG bottom metal. I was afraid by shortening the barrel I would not be able to shoot the 105's so I stocked up on 87 VMax's. To my surprise, it is shooting the 105's really well. I have not been able to get close to the same accuracy yet with the 87's.

For the 105 A Max's, my best load is 38.2gr of IMR 4350, seated .015 off the lands.

I got the rifle back right before Christmas and with the weather that we have had, I have not been able to stretch its legs yet to see what it will do at distance.

Last edited:
i tried all 3 from above but manners t4a.. ax my fav out the 3..i surprise you didnt include KRG i sold my mcree for krg..

photo_zps93906e70.jpg

It started out as a 26" VLS, I sent it to Russell at Scout Supply Co and he trued everything up, set the barrel back and rechambered it, cut the barrel to 16.5" and threaded. It is in a Bell & Carlson stock that is skim bedded. with PTG bottom metal. I was afraid by shortening the barrel I would not be able to shoot the 105's so I stocked up on 87 VMax's. To my surprise, it is shooting the 105's really well. I have not been able to get close to the same accuracy yet with the 87's.

I have been curious about short .243 but have a hard time justifying the cost involved with mods to a factory barrel with such life expectancy. Looks great though. Lets us know how it performs at distance.

Have you looked at the Whiskey 3 chassis from Kinetic Research Group?

Have used the McRee and the AICS a little but after seeing the Manners in person at SHOT I ordered one up. I like the lock up system and push button locking/unlocking when the stock is folded. Stock is typical Manners craftsmanship.

Have a Mcree (like) and sold my AI 2.0

Just ordered the Maners with the carbon fiber business. 2lbs lighter than the AI chassi is substantial...

Good luck.

DT