• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which front rest to use

Some Day

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
PA
I have a manner T5a stock it is 2.40 at the front end.I am buying a bald eagle shooting rest and they make the front bags 3"and 2"1/4.Not sure which one to get.I've always shoot off bags first time shooting off a metal rest.Buy the way which rest would you get the aluminum one which is 11 lbs or the cast iron at 20 lbs.

This is not a metal bench rest forum. If you can't bring that rest with you hunting or in a tactical situation, don't use it.

I'd go with the heavier rest due to the stability. Width? I'd probably go with a 2.25...a little tight but it may work in to the proper size. Of course 3" I could put a plate on the bottom of the stock and have it fit well, or I could build up the sides with some cloth or mole hair.

Keep in mind that Bald Eagle is no longer owned by Bill Gebhart...he sold to woodstock ink. Don't know what that will do for quality.

Archer762

Can you read the forums headline.
S4 Sniper's Hide Equipment
Gear Discussion-Nylon,Electronics,tools Of The Trade That Help You Make The Shot.
So where does it say just for Hunting and Tactical situation.
And I'LL Bet You That 80% Or More Of The Shooters Here On The Hide Use A Front Rest Which Is Metal With A Front Bag On It.To shoot long range.So you see I didn't ask for some one to" But in" and try to be dum ass.But if I need one I will ask for you.
Thers always got to be one

Archer762

Can you read the forums headline.
S4 Sniper's Hide Equipment
Gear Discussion-Nylon,Electronics,tools Of The Trade That Help You Make The Shot.
So where does it say just for Hunting and Tactical situation.
And I'LL Bet You That 80% Or More Of The Shooters Here On The Hide Use A Front Rest Which Is Metal With A Front Bag On It.To shoot long range.So you see I didn't ask for some one to" But in" and try to be dum ass.But if I need one I will ask for you.
Thers always got to be one

Whoa touchy eh.
He has a point. I shoot off my back pack sometimes but I also use a bipod and sometimes a front rest.
I will grant that you did ask about a front rest and I am interested in one too.
But there are a wide variety of front rests from el cheapo brand up to ones that can cost of "wow that's a lot".
My question would be what front rest would do the job at what weight and what cost.

Ill be watching this thread also. I have been in the market for a rest for some of my guns that dont have bipods. Im not a benchrest shooter by any means but i think its a good piece of gear. Good for rifles, slug guns, maybe even handguns. Im just unsure which one i need. Sinclair has about 25 different models to choose from. Just a little bit mindblowing

Thank you Seanh for answering my question to the way it was written.I just ordered the bald eagle rest because I like how they got the windage adjustment on the leg for easy access to make adjustments.I also got the twenty pounder I was already leaning torge the heavier one like you said Seanh for the stability.I also asked a guy at sinclairs he said the same as you on the front bag to go with the 2"1/4