• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which gas piston to go with XCR, POF, or PWS

BOL556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
I have been looking into getting a gas piston AR. I am having a hard time between a XCR, POF, or PWS. They are all in the same range of cost and i know a lot people running the POF system and they like it. I have searched the forum on more reviews on the XCR and PWS however, couldnt find anything on them. I am leaning more towards the XCR cause of the ability to change cals. At first I was going towards the ACR but heard to many bad things about things breaking along with a major recall. Is there anyone with hands on experience with the XCR and what they thought about them vs the other manufactures. Any info/review of the above mentioned rifles platforms would be great. I dont want buy on of the above just to find out I should have went with the POF or PWS platform instead.

TIA

Re: Which gas piston to go with XCR, POF, or PWS

Overall, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the XCR and want to know what they thought and if there was any problems with it.

Osprey or POF---my personal favorites--not just because that is what I own but because of study and research--IMO they are best

Osprey or POF---my personal favorites--not just because that is what I own but because of study and research--IMO they are best

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWRC makes an awfully nice 5.56. </div></div>

He didn't <span style="font-style: italic">ask</span> about LWRC.

My vote is for the POF.

I have a buddy who owns 2 xcr and loves them. I think they are nice. Never had any problems that I know of.

Another vote for POF!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking into getting a gas piston AR. I am having a hard time between a XCR, POF, or PWS. They are all in the same range of cost and i know a lot people running the POF system and they like it. I have searched the forum on more reviews on the XCR and PWS however, couldnt find anything on them. I am leaning more towards the XCR cause of the ability to change cals. At first I was going towards the ACR but heard to many bad things about things breaking along with a major recall. Is there anyone with hands on experience with the XCR and what they thought about them vs the other manufactures. Any info/review of the above mentioned rifles platforms would be great. I dont want buy on of the above just to find out I should have went with the POF or PWS platform instead.

TIA</div></div>

i would be asking questions like which one is more accurate....or which one comes out of the plastic with the better fit and finish,,,,,,,,or how well do thise tools work with suppressors.....

but first....did you complete your profile ?

The XCR is the most reliable and accurate 5.56 rifle I own.

I never shoot my other ARs, since I bought the XCR.

You will be very pleased with a XCR.

out of the options given id go with pof, but as silverbullet said my vote would be for lwrc even though its not listed. at least check it out.

Good to know about the XCR being a reliable platform. Like I said cant really find any info on them here about how good or bad they are. If all fails I will just get the POF and the XCR. There is just something about the XCR that I like and I would have to get the FDE version.. Might as well buy as much as I can before the kid comes in mid October! For 556 platforms I am going to stick with the above. Now a lil later if I deciede to get a AR 10 platform I already know it will be the REPER with a 20" and 16" uppers so I can have the best of both worlds.

I bought an XCR two months ago after selling my Noveske barreled AR 15. Owned AR's for 17 years+ and always loved them, But damn if I ain't crazy about my XCR. It is what AR manufactures' want to be. Great features that were purposely built in. Not an afterthought modification that the AR's are doing today. Mine shot a 7/8" group 6 shots with top ammo. I love the patented bolt release, the folding stock, quick change barrel, the super simple piston/bolt design, beefy bolt/extractor, monolithic upper, Side charge handle, trigger design. I will always have AR's but I much prefer my XCR. Prices really can't be matched by a similiar AR.

Maybe the XCRs have improved over the last two years, but as of 2008 I'd say the XCR is the single biggest piece of crap excuse for a fighting rifle I've ever seen. I would actually take a mini-14 instead and I hate mini-14s.

The XCR is the only rifle I've ever seen with essential internal parts held in place by small screws. Apparently those screws aren't (or weren't back then) installed with thread locker because I've seen numerous XCRs dump internal parts out on the range while being fired. About the fourth time we had to get people in a line to police up gun parts so the XCR owners can shoot again I decided "No thank you."

All that is factual personal experience and not bashing. I'm glad others are satisfied with their XCRs. Maybe things have been fixed.

I've seen and heard nothing but good things about POF, btw.

The HK MR 556 is beginning to hit the shelves. If it is anywhere close to the 416 then it will be a winner.

I liked my XCR.For me there were more pro's than con's.

It was very reliable with well thought out features that "I think" are/were ahead of their time.

The build quality I wouldn't rate as being high quality but acceptable.

The trigger was the worst part of the rifle.If I were to get one again I'd order one from Robarms with a trigger job.

It was a 1.5 MOA rifle with good handloads.Not great but not bad either.

I wonder of someone could get the mini frame with a 16" barrel? That would be a great combo.

I'd love to have a custom one in 6mmART40 with a match barrel!