• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which gun to build next?

Mareshow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
So I figured I'd like to hear some other peoples opinions on this matter as I'm wondering what to build next. I'll start this off by I live in Canada and our gun laws are stupid. I currently have rifles chambered in 223, 6.5x284 Norma, 6.5x47 Lapua and 300 Norma. and I'm looking for my next build I currently have all bolt rifles with one AR (range use only for ARs here because our government is dumb) However there is several AR like option in Canada that would allow use any where.

So what I'm interested in building is between this:

-Desert Tech SRS A2, already having one switch caliber rifle I love the concept and ability. I like the desert tech as an option because it could be doubled as a hunting rifle because the weight isn't huge

-A dedicated hunting ish gun, build a tikka or cadex as a hunting rifle with the end result around 8lbs

-A semi auto 223 for field use. I'd be interested in an AR like platform that are here in Canada and usable legally in the field. IE a HK SL8, ACR, or one of the others

-A semi auto that could also be used for hunting (308 based cartridge), in my province to shoot deer it has to be larger than .224, there's several options for this a STAG 10, Troy 102, ATRS

-A Go big rifle in 375 cheytac, I have out to 750 yds at my place but I'd like to maybe go bigger?

I think I've narrowed it down between either semi and the desert tech, but I'd like to hear your guys opinion on the matter. I do all my own reloading so wild cats aren't an issue. a Semi 223 would be nice because I could also use it for coyotes but for the amount of coyote I shoot I could use one of my bolts, a Semi in a 308 cal would be nice because I don't have anything like that currently and it would be different, plus at my home range it would be a great addition. The Desert tech has always attracted me because of the mobility of the platform, but I'm nervous about it as I know some people are immediately turned off by the shooting ergos. Im worried with the desert tech that it doesn't offer enough differences over my current Cadex kraken. The cadex has proven itself a bit too heavy for the field though. (about 16 lbs with scope whereas I could get the DT to around 10 I think)

so thoughts?

First, that 308 based cartridge AR requirement could be revised to the 6.5 Grendel. I've been developing a pair (20" and 24"). They can be your answer to the "bigger than 223" restriction, and can be provided as an AR15 Upper, making a second rifle acquisition redundant. Highly adequate deer-capable ammo is on the market. The other Upper can be a 223, but there are several approaches, from a 16" CQB to a 24" Varmint version. All this can be supported by a single Lower; I mean, how may rifles can you shoot at one time, anyway?

Start with the Stag 15 Bones, Add Stock, Grip, and Handguard from Luth-AR. Then the Varmint Upper. The follow up in 6.5 Grendel with either the Upper, or do a build with these barrels.

The simplest way to build a switch barrel/chambering rifle is to build an AR, and swap out Uppers.

Sorry 'bout your stupid gun laws.

Greg

First, that 308 based cartridge AR requirement could be revised to the 6.5 Grendel. I've been developing a pair (20" and 24"). They can be your answer to the "bigger than 223" restriction, and can be provided as an AR15 Upper, making a second rifle acquisition redundant. Highly adequate deer-capable ammo is on the market. The other Upper can be a 223, but there are several approaches, from a 16" CQB to a 24" Varmint version. All this can be supported by a single Lower; I mean, how may rifles can you shoot at one time, anyway?

Start with the Stag 15 Bones, Add Stock, Grip, and Handguard from Luth-AR. Then the Varmint Upper. The follow up in 6.5 Grendel with either the Upper, or do a build with these barrels.

The simplest way to build a switch barrel/chambering rifle is to build an AR, and swap out Uppers.

Sorry 'bout your stupid gun laws.

Greg
Great Idea greg! one problem is anything that is a "variant" of an AR15 is not allowed for use outside of a range. Semis the minimum a barrel can be is 18.5" and overall length can't be shorter than 26"

there is options for an AR 15 ish rifle to do that (namely ATRS products) so I could do a smaller build for it with different uppers which I would like the idea of that... problem is its hella expensive, but to build off of one wouldn't be bad and just build it over time.