• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which handgaurd for new AR-15?

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
I'm going to change out the Houge overmold handguard on my RR Predator Pursuit (20" barrel). I want it light but functional. I guess "rifle" length to touch the gas block. I'm looking at the Larue but it's VERY expensive!!!
$300+!

Which rail guards do ya'll like? Pic's would be great if possible.

Re: Which handgaurd for new AR-15?

I don't have any pictures to show but I'm sure you can find them online just by Googling. I assume you only want handguard rail covers and not ladder rail guards. It's personal preference for the most part. Some rail covers are slick and hard to get a grip on like the KAC rail covers..but if it's your cup of tea you will like them. Then there are the rubber-like covers such as the ergos or cut-to-length MagPul covers that give you a good grip if your hands perspirate a whole lot. Some have grippy textures etc. tons of options out there, you just have to find what works for you. Btw, the Larue rails are a great choice, albeit expensive. If you think about it though, all the great rifle rail handguards cost about as much anyway.

LaRue 13.2. It's as good as you can get IMO.

DSC03148.jpg

Joe

I would think the least expensive, and probably the lightest, would be the basic YHM handguard.

MSRP on the rifle lingth is $162; I'm sure stocking dealers sell them for less. I only have the carbine length on a rifle or two. The picture is from the BCM website

YHM-9636%20Rifle%20FF-3.jpg

This is the MRFS-R 12" on a 20"

sprclone.jpg

And this is the MI on an 18"

newspr.jpg

i'm using one of these:

Custom_Forearms.jpg

for my latest build.

yankee hill Customizable Free Float Forearm System

I'm planning on a Troy Trx extreme. It has rail on top and comes with 3 that you can put where you want

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjsemtex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm using one of these:

Custom_Forearms.jpg

for my latest build.

yankee hill Customizable Free Float Forearm System </div></div>

I am going to check these out. I want light mounting options on my SHTF carbine and dont particularly like the feel of railed handguards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to check these out. I want light mounting options on my SHTF carbine and dont particularly like the feel of railed handguards. </div></div>

they also make what they call their smooth forearm which seems pretty nice.

How about the YHM Dianond rails? I have a carbine length on a 9mm upper and it's awesome.

I would go LaRue all the way.. The quality of the products they turn out is worth every penny.

Great stuff guys and great looking AR's too. I'm leaning towards the Larure and the Daniel Defence but I like the look of the Yankee Hill and JP with the attachable rails. I will get pictures up as soon as I can get this thing put together. I ordered a set of Burris Xtra high rings just to see how accurate it is with my Leupold 8.5-25X50 LRT. If it shoots as good as my Savage here, I will sell both and get a Night Force 2.5-10X32 and a one peice mount.

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am going to check these out. I want light mounting options on my SHTF carbine and dont particularly like the feel of railed handguards. </div></div>

VTac is THE way to go if you don't want a 4 rail. I used to use YHM almost exclusively, but JP/Vtac's a much better and better feeling setup. I'm gonna be building a 16" SHTF and a VTac will be on it. Here's my SPR with a rifle length VTac.
jpvtac005.jpg

Now it has a JPoint at 1:00 for backup to the ST10:
Jpoint001.jpg

PRI free float is a great handgaurd and not to bad on the wallet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Asmodeus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think the least expensive, and probably the lightest, would be the basic YHM handguard.

MSRP on the rifle lingth is $162; I'm sure stocking dealers sell them for less. I only have the carbine length on a rifle or two. The picture is from the BCM website

YHM-9636%20Rifle%20FF-3.jpg

This is the MRFS-R 12" on a 20"

sprclone.jpg

And this is the MI on an 18"

newspr.jpg
</div></div>

I also put the Yankee Hill Hand guards on my new AR. Yes they are quite inexpensive, but are not built cheaply at all.

I know your pulling your Houge OM, but here is what I did with one on a carbine with a whole lot of help from Rafael. It covers the low pro gas block rather nicely and makes for another option.

This is my "deer and demo" rifle.

DSC01087.jpg

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet rifle Sobrbiker, ever feel a need for more than 10X optic? </div></div>
Thanks.
Not really on my SPR. I had a SN4 1-4 on it, but for my purposes it was a little underpowered, so it went away for the ST10. If I'm expecting to run past 600yds the 308 boltgun gets top billing.
An SN4 is perfect for a 3gun/fighting carbine and will someday be on my smaller AR (that I haven't built yet).

I like the DD lite rails. They still have a steel barrel nut but very light.

Buzzsaw,

There is only two handguards I use.

Both brands have the same option I like, but both are for diffrent types of use.

1. The Daniel Defense lite, any length you want.
2. The JP Vtac.

Both have the option for a solid rail that mates up with the upper with no gap. going from the upper to the handguard. I love this.

The Daniel Defense Lite is the only handguard I would use for a real deal life depended on it rifle. Due to the aility of the handguard to NEVER shift or rotate.

The JP Vtac I would use for a range gun, fun gun / less $$$$ gun and keep the quality up there.

Check these out.

This is a 18" BBL, 14.0 Daniel Defense lite handguard. Also notice the badger Ord 22MOA base is on the handguard and the upper. The DD slots line up just fine.

Also notice the six bolts DD lite rail uses. This bad boy will not MOVE!!!!!! and how thin it is.

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

John

Hey Buz, I'm a big plus one on the JP V-Tac. Put the rails where you need them and keep them out of the way where you don't.
TV-4man003.jpg

Another vote for JP's VTac here.

IMG_0949.jpg

Edit to add, While I like the Daniel Defense Omega rail I installed on my other AR too I'm sold on the JP's after getting my 3Gun rifle finished.

IMG_0874.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kstraughen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what hand guard is on that rifle </div></div>

kstraughen,
Not sure if you were asking about my pic or one of the others? In case the question was for me... Top rifle is the JP V-Tac modular and the bottom pic is the Daniel Defense Omega 7.0.

I really like the VLTOR CAS-V forearm grip. It comes with picatinny sections that you attach as needed in locations that you decide. It's very light ( lighter than stock handguards). Not cheap but it's sweet. I'll try to dig up some pics for ya in a minute or two... http://www.vltor.com/casv-sub.htm ...SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great stuff guys and great looking AR's too. I'm leaning towards the Larure and the Daniel Defence but I like the look of the Yankee Hill and JP with the attachable rails. I will get pictures up as soon as I can get this thing put together. I ordered a set of Burris Xtra high rings just to see how accurate it is with my Leupold 8.5-25X50 LRT. If it shoots as good as my Savage here, I will sell both and get a Night Force 2.5-10X32 and a one peice mount.

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg
</div></div>

So does the Lawnmower power the Chrono ??

I ride it down range to change targets.

All ya'll's rifles are SWEEEEET. I hope mine will turn out half as cool as the ones on this thread.

I'm finding out quick these AR's are money pits but the fun is in trickin them out!