• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which handles better: M1As vs. AR-10s

unrepentant

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
ms
I have one of each, but mine have been fully tweaked--aftermarket stocks, scopes, bipods, slings. I know accuracy favors the AR-10 by price.

I've got a friend in Japan. He can buy only one rifle.If you had to choose a bare stock model for it's balance and handling only, what would you recommend to a friend. He might take it hunting.

Thank you.

Re: which handles better: M1As vs. AR-10s

Wow. You are going to get a lot of different views in response to your question, particularly, since it involves so much personal preference. Personally, if I had to get one, I would get the M1A. I'll admit, however, that my answer is dictated by the fact that I love the M14/M1A platform despite its issues. I'll be curious to see where the majority ends up (although I suspect that I already know the answer). Either way, it's hard to go wrong with one of those two rifles.

Yeah, I know. I favor the M1A out of sentimentality, but I'd guess a short AR-10 would swing better. I'm sure curious to get some replies and see what the guys think (on both questions I posted).

Thanks.

Handles better...

I got about as far as, each handles pretty good. Left it at that.

My old man has a nice M1A and love it to death.

With that said, I would prefer an AR-10. It is easier to work on clean and he could buy multiple uppers and have all sorts of choices with calibers to use.

I agree with wannabenija. I have 5 M14/M1A'a and love them all but I also have 10 of so AR15's and a couple of .308 AR's. The M14 is STEEL you can shoot a moose with it, sling the critter on it and then beat it to tendorize the steaqks and after all said and done do it again. The rifle it TOUGH!

That being said, the AR platform is SO adaptable. Short barrels, long barrels for long range work, .338 Fed mag to .243 just get the right upper to what ever flavor/magazine lower you're running and go. One major plus FLAT TOP reciever takes any scope ring/base (weaver picatinni) no special mounts.

Unfortunately the M14 is not that easy to scope. If you do I'd go with the SADLAK three point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What model M1A's and AR's are available to him in Japan? </div></div>

"None". In essence, he'd have to buy it here and have it shipped to Japan.

DUH!! I never thought about the ability to swap out uppers... damn. That opens a whole new spectrum.

Keep'em coming; the more ideas the better. Thanks, guys!

I didn't know it was legal for a civilian to even own a semi auto centerfire rifle in Japan. Thought it was just bolt guns and shotguns.

If I had to choose between the two I would say AR 10 all the way. Much easier to live with, better ergonomics, more accurate platform.

And yes, being able to pop two pins and have a whole new upper on the same lower is a HUGE plus.

On pure ergonomics alone the AR10 would win.

Why do you think a "tricked out" M1A looks a lot like an AR10?

All it would take would be one trip through the shoot house.

The M1A is a great rifle for what it is. It was an evolution of the M1 Garand. It was not meant to be a fast handling CQB rifle.

The M1A IS a beautiful rifle when in original form with the walnut stock and iron sights.

an AR10 with a free floated forend and 20" barrel now the calibre would be the issue? a 20" barrel handles reasonably well and allows enough velocity to make longer shots but the calibre depends on what he will be shooting a fast twist 243 would be awsome and an adjustable gas block but sometimes it is easier to stick simple and use a 308 but if he got 2 uppers say a 16" 338 federal and a 26" 243 or 6mm Cm in 8 twist would rock varmints to the largest bears he could find that would rock.

I kinda like the looks of the ole M1A, but I own and AR-10( DPMS 308 LR). So I put my money where my mouth is.
As was stated before, they are versitile, and easy to work on.
SScott

unless im mistaken, it's much easier to find accessories and aftermarket anything for the AR platform.

regardless the AR10 is the smart choice in my opinion, and the m1a is sexy choice.

Okay, fine. I'll be the stubborn one! M1A all the way! Just refinished an AR-10 for a guy, and honestly, I didn't like the feel. Might just be because my brain was telling me an AR should be lighter. But yea, I am biased!;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Birddog1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, fine. I'll be the stubborn one! M1A all the way! Just refinished an AR-10 for a guy, and honestly, I didn't like the feel. Might just be because my brain was telling me an AR should be lighter. But yea, I am biased!;) </div></div>

And my reply again would be:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All it would take would be one trip through the shoot house.</div></div>

I am not so much biased as I am able to recognize a better mousetrap. Give it some time and I bet you will see the M1A vanish from Highpower Competition as well. I think the only reason the M1A has been resurrected on the battlefield is the lack of properly functioning .308 AR's.

I have driven the M1A for the better part of 20+ years and dearly love it. That being said for simplicity of mounting optics and getting it to be accurate (I can't believe that I'm about to give a nod to a gun that sh!ts where it eats) the AR-10 wins hands down. Ergonomics can be adjusted on both platforms. The M1A is much easier to drive, however even for a beginner but the AR-10 can be learned if due diligence is applied.

I love the M1A and if I had to roll irons it would get the nod. If I had the opportunity to scope the rifle it would be the AR-10. Caveat: Any AR - 10 EXCEPT a KAC.

Cheers,

Doc

I love the M14 design, but the AR-10 is absolutely better in every measurable way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the M14 design, but the AR-10 is absolutely better in every measurable way.</div></div>

+1

I've owned the AR and the M1A, and now own neither.

I think the AR is a combination of the good and the less good, and that after going on 50 years of production and implementation, it's still not perfected. Maybe it will be, someday. Maybe.

I think that the M1A/M14 is essentially the ultimate evolution of the Main Battle Rifle. My only quibbles are with the DM system, which weakens the stock; and the chambering, which I consider to be an anemic devolution of the right chambering, it's parent, the .30-'06.

IMHO, the evolution went a step too far. My MBR is a Garand. Mousetraps and mouseguns have their purposes, but the Garand is the big dog on this block.

I have trained with, and either carried or worked alongside all three rifles in combat. I stand by my choice.

When our Army went to Haiti in 1994, the newsies scoffed at the collection of firearms they faced; commenting that they consisted mainly of a lot of 'Old National Guard M1 Garands'. At that point, their newsies' credibility too a huge dive, in my estimation.

Greg

I'll stick with the modernized M14/M1A in a SAGE EBR stock.

I had a real nice ArmaLite AR-10 SPR, but it just didn't feel right... sold it and built another MK14 SEI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the M14 design, but the AR-10 is absolutely better in every measurable way. </div></div>

Yeap.

I have a DI AR 308 but I wish I'd waited and got a POF piston instead. Lots of people out there who are hurting for cash right now meaning lots of good deals.