• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Which Helmet

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I am looking at bump helmets for a dual tube setup. I leaning towards team wendy vs ops core. The team wendy looks more comfortable and doesn't have a molded NVG shroud, so it can be replaced.

Between the TW helmets, what's the difference between the Wilcox W shroud on the carbon helmet vs the Wilcox shroud on the LTP helmet?

The carbon has the Wilcox W shroud which is removable and the LTP has a built in shroud that uses an integrated Wilcox aluminum insert. No doubt my Team Wendy bump and Ballistic are very comfortable. Carbon twice the cost of the LTP. If you go Team Wendy let me know I think I might have a discount code for you to use.

If you plan to mount allot of accessories to the rails you might want to look again at the Ops Core with their ARC rail system. It just allows for more mounting options.

Is the TW bump usable with standard ear pro or do you have to mount them onto the side of the helmet? The only thing I’d mount to the rails is a small white light, so I’d much rather have the comfort. I’ll take the discount code! Thanks!

Does the W shroud make it worth the extra cost?

If you plan to mount allot of accessories to the rails you might want to look again at the Ops Core with their ARC rail system. It just allows for more mounting options.
This.

Also when it come to mount, for upright walking around or driving, pay attention to the tilt angle. For example the Norotos AKA2 has less tilt than the AKA2 hypermount and is, for me at least, less comfortable when walking/driving an atv. They are all good at head-forward, brow down tactical position because they tilt up, it's the tilting down that makes a difference. Helmets only go so fat with adjustments and the shroud is fixed.

I guess it depends on your ear pro. I run Peltors and because they have a very thin head band no issues. There are couple of pads in the helmet that you could remove to gain a little clearance. Cant speak to other types of ear pro and I wouldn't pay the extra for the W shroud or Carbon.

Dont buy a helmet with a molded shroud. If you manage to crack it or mess it up somehow, the whole helmet is useless as far as mounted nightvision. Also, don't buy a team wendy helmet because fuck team wendy; I'd wear the newest version of an old school ProTek bump helmet that skateboarders use with as 3 hole shroud on it before I'd ever use a team wendy helmet.

Save your money and buy a high cut FAST and put some 4D pads in it. If that's too much for you, look at a high cut MICH with a shroud/put a shroud in it.

I just don’t need a ballistic helmet. They are heavier, and I am not worried about getting shot in the head while wearing nods. I’d be more worried about a cougar or a bear attack while hiking in the night or something than needing a ballistic helmet.

I will look at the MTEK V carbon helmet. Never heard of it.

I try not to mix politics with fun stuff like night vision. Politics aside the TW helmets are awesome. I love my Exfil LTP bought before that shit happened. If we want to get political, we've lost more gun rights in the last two years under President Trump. Not Trump bashing. I support the President but you got to call a spade a spade.

Be aware of the politics of it. Team Wendy has been renamed Team Hillary around here for a while.

I guess I understand supporting Hillary as a producer of military oriented things. Do you want a real estate developer from New York or the woman who killed half of the middle east in that seat?

Reactions: shoobe01
I try not to mix politics with fun stuff like night vision. Politics aside the TW helmets are awesome. I love my Exfil LTP bought before that shit happened. If we want to get political, we've lost more gun rights in the last two years under President Trump. Not Trump bashing. I support the President but you got to call a spade a spade.

I agree with this too. I can understand the mindset of funding a company that supports anti 2A ideals, but the bottom line is all politicians are pretty much anti 2A. Unfortunately in this current culture of society, to be pro 2A means you're some ignorant hillbilly who's paranoid about red dawn.

I also hike mountains and have other hobbies that I purchase products from and those companies may also be anti 2A. Do you check your local grocery store manager to see which way they vote? Gas station? Restaurants? The list could go on forever.

Reactions: shoobe01
I agree with this too. I can understand the mindset of funding a company that supports anti 2A ideals, but the bottom line is all politicians are pretty much anti 2A. Unfortunately in this current culture of society, to be pro 2A means you're some ignorant hillbilly who's paranoid about red dawn.

I also hike mountains and have other hobbies that I purchase products from and those companies may also be anti 2A. Do you check your local grocery store manager to see which way they vote? Gas station? Restaurants? The list could go on forever.

No, BUT the local retail outlets didn't have Hillary on their factory floor promoting another AWB and their ower shaking her hand "that she will be the greatest President we ever will have". Someone has to answer to the familes of the fallen heroes of Benghazi. Nuff said and no BULLSHIT on our behalf, we will NEVER sell Team Wendy ever again!

Huge difference in how individuals vote, and if my local grocery store actively held a hillary rally. Fuck team wendy; there's so many different options to even worry about it.

For your use, you could even get away with a Crye Nightcap, an original gangster ProTec helmet or basically any polymer OpsCore footprint helmet sold on the internet as long as it has holes for a shroud. I simply wouldn't get anything with a molded in shroud.

Huge difference in how individuals vote, and if my local grocery store actively held a hillary rally. Fuck team wendy; there's so many different options to even worry about it.

For your use, you could even get away with a Crye Nightcap, an original gangster ProTec helmet or basically any polymer OpsCore footprint helmet sold on the internet as long as it has holes for a shroud. I simply wouldn't get anything with a molded in shroud.

Yeah, I am not liking the idea of a molded shroud either. The bump helmet is more appealing than a skullcrusher type setup because I could use the helmet for mountaineering as well. They are impact rated, and if anything bigger lands on my head I would die from crushing my neck before the helmet not being strong enough to handle small rock debris.

Sure, I might look a little goofy wearing a tactical helmet on an ascent but I don't care.

I commend you Vic for taking that stance immediately with no hesitation.

That is fucked what TW did and this is why I wish companies would stay out of politics to this level, having a candidate at their business, trying to influence their customers making commericals, etc. Same with celebrities. I lost count of how many comedians and actors I can't watch anymore because it's such the popular thing to hate our current President.

Will be interesting if this next time TW learned their lesson and stays out of it, goes overboard on the Republican side to make up, or hosts the blue candidate.

The community still needs to call out the current administration on bump stocks, red flag laws, and maybe now silencers. Wasn't long ago he was NRA saying he had our backs and now he "doesn't like" silencers. Wait, can we still call them that or is that too scary of a word? Is it back to suppressor? LOL

No, BUT the local retail outlets didn't have Hillary on their factory floor promoting another AWB and their ower shaking her hand "that she will be the greatest President we ever will have". Someone has to answer to the familes of the fallen heroes of Benghazi. Nuff said and no BULLSHIT on our behalf, we will NEVER sell Team Wendy ever again!

Politics aside, TW will never get a dime from me.

I have had multiple TBI’s, and was looking to buy one of their helmets to protect my dome from further damage, prior to the HRC debacle. So, I contacted them electronically looking for assistance in choosing the right helmet and setup for my personal needs. Was very specific, and only looking for some guidance, since they had numerous options available.

Never heard a single word back. Customer service is important, and my experience with theirs, given their mission statement and reason for the company, was fucking atrocious, as in completely non existent. They also didn’t seem to be interested in answering their phones when I tried (multiple times). I gave up after about a month of trying to get any sort of comms from them.

Then, after the Hillary thing, a hard fuck no. I’ll wear a skateboard helmet before I took a TW product. I don’t care if it was literally free. They’ll never get a red cent from me.

Of course, that’s just my experience with them, and I’m not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, or where to spend it. Not my business. Maybe there’s a reason I never heard anything from them, maybe they were experiencing tech issues, there are any number of plausible reasons for it.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
OP sorry this got a little, well maybe a lot political as I feared when I saw the post. I believe I have answered your questions accurately about the product and am happy to continue if you have any more.

The decision to buy from whomever is yours as I just want to ensure you know exactly what your buying.

Reactions: wigwamitus
Agree in detail with crossgun ...
I have a Team Hillary (got it before the break) and an Ops Core Ballistic and an Ops Core bump.
The Team Hillary wins on comfort and ease of use with the super nice tensioning knob.
The Ops Cores win on rail mountability and interoperability.
I've worn COMTAC III headsets under all of them.

I use a Ops Core bump with 4D pads and a vented lux liner. I cannot imagine a more comfortable helmet setup.

If I did it again, I’d get the ops core carbon for the replaceable shroud.

I am looking at bump helmets for a dual tube setup. I leaning towards team wendy vs ops core. The team wendy looks more comfortable and doesn't have a molded NVG shroud, so it can be replaced.

Between the TW helmets, what's the difference between the Wilcox W shroud on the carbon helmet vs the Wilcox shroud on the LTP helmet?
I have a team windy and i love it use it at least once a week in our growing season shooting hogs.

-
I did not notice much difference when running my pvs14 on either on . The Carbon or LTP . both helmets holding nod seem nice and secure .
I run nothing fancy just a 'gets the job done' J-arm . The LTP I have run the longest ( several hindered hours ) it is 'still tight every time' you snap pvs14 into the shroud .

Both are ridged and light shell . LTP is light and ridged . Carbon Lam. is more Hard ridged noflex in construction .
Only 'little' thing that stuck out in my head was the Carbon seems to transfer noise of anything touching/rubbing it . Helmet did not make noise, but you just hear any clothing or finger touching carbon shell in your ear , but that just the nature of the beast with Carbon Laminate .
Some people probably would never notice , and it was probably just me . In the quiet of the night, Carbon shell transfer noise, it only bugged me in cold weather when I was wearing more jacket an head cover that was rubbing helmet when swiveling my head .

Politics will FuckUp even an exceptional Helmet . It like having the HOT pole dancing Blonde living next door . She is giving you the eye and shining you on for final approach to land . . But.... You noticed the bitch is following Bernie on FaceBook . The question is, Would you still Bang her ?

Politics will FuckUp even an exceptional Helmet . It like having the HOT pole dancing Blonde living next door . She is giving you the eye and shining you on for final approach to land . . But.... You noticed the bitch is following Bernie on FaceBook . The question is, Would you still Bang her ?

Yes.

Yes. ATM.

I have watched you guys posting for a few years now and it intrigues me. The farther I go into this hobby of night hunting the more my conscious tugs at my spending habits. The purchase of my first thermal sight was my stepping off point. (Thanks Wig) That satisfied me for a year. Then came the pvs-30, omg my new drug of choice. Next piece of gear was an IR eliminator. Separating my wants from my needs has always been a slippery slope for me. CBDR is holding fast. Shooting from the prone position in an elevated box stand is working just fine. Safety factor always a concern. Travel safe into the dark.

I commend you Vic for taking that stance immediately with no hesitation.

That is fucked what TW did and this is why I wish companies would stay out of politics to this level, having a candidate at their business, trying to influence their customers making commericals, etc. Same with celebrities. I lost count of how many comedians and actors I can't watch anymore because it's such the popular thing to hate our current President.

Will be interesting if this next time TW learned their lesson and stays out of it, goes overboard on the Republican side to make up, or hosts the blue candidate.

The community still needs to call out the current administration on bump stocks, red flag laws, and maybe now silencers. Wasn't long ago he was NRA saying he had our backs and now he "doesn't like" silencers. Wait, can we still call them that or is that too scary of a word? Is it back to suppressor? LOL

Will, I was actually 4000 miles away in the south pacific when I made that decision and it turned out very easy to come to. There was also a few other details that led us to the deicision and one of them how my Director (a "friend" TW called us in the past) was insulted and treated incredibly disrepsectuful during this time. Anyonoe who knows Clasky is the nicest guy in the world and yea, I'm protective of my employess when the CEO of another company disrepects in the way they did. That sealed the deal for us as their true colors showed who they really were. Never again...

Politics aside, TW will never get a dime from me.

I have had multiple TBI’s, and was looking to buy one of their helmets to protect my dome from further damage, prior to the HRC debacle. So, I contacted them electronically looking for assistance in choosing the right helmet and setup for my personal needs. Was very specific, and only looking for some guidance, since they had numerous options available.

Never heard a single word back. Customer service is important, and my experience with theirs, given their mission statement and reason for the company, was fucking atrocious, as in completely non existent. They also didn’t seem to be interested in answering their phones when I tried (multiple times). I gave up after about a month of trying to get any sort of comms from them.

Then, after the Hillary thing, a hard fuck no. I’ll wear a skateboard helmet before I took a TW product. I don’t care if it was literally free. They’ll never get a red cent from me.

Of course, that’s just my experience with them, and I’m not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, or where to spend it. Not my business. Maybe there’s a reason I never heard anything from them, maybe they were experiencing tech issues, there are any number of plausible reasons for it.
realizing I'm posting in a necro-thread but thank you for the feedback on TW. I've been debating between them and Ops Core... guess it'll be OC for me

Will, I was actually 4000 miles away in the south pacific when I made that decision and it turned out very easy to come to. There was also a few other details that led us to the deicision and one of them how my Director (a "friend" TW called us in the past) was insulted and treated incredibly disrepsectuful during this time. Anyonoe who knows Clasky is the nicest guy in the world and yea, I'm protective of my employess when the CEO of another company disrepects in the way they did. That sealed the deal for us as their true colors showed who they really were. Never again...
Crazy how they would just alienate part of their consumer base like that. Good to see that you take care of your people!