• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which high end factory rifle?

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Want some input. I currently have a Savage that I switch barrel with. Good piece of kit but one day I want something really nice. I don't know a whole lot about these rifles so your reasoning behind your choice is most welcome. I believe I heard that the AI rifles have end user barrel change functionality and this is a plus. All rifles will be chambered in .308. I'll also leave the custom option on as well as this input is welcome too.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Which high end factory rifle?

Custom, for all the obvious reasons. What kind of trigger, stock, colors, barrel manufactures, brakes, action, DBM system. Really when you spend alot of money on a gun you should get EXACTLY what you want.

Custom means you have more options. But custom dosn't mean you're getting a tailored suit or cobbled shoes.

There's lots of great custom rifles out there, and if you have a need that speaks to you which can be met by a custom then by all means get one. They're georgeous rigs.

Personally I went with an AI. I liked all the features they offered that I just couldn't get with a custom. But they are costly, and probably not worth the 2009 pricing.

If my collection were to vanish overnight and I were to start over again I'd probably get a Desert Tactical Arms SRS. I really like what it has to offer, and the price is very reasonable.

Thats such a broad list of options that the question is hard to answer. If you know guns, know what you want, and you can wait for the custom, it is really a no brainer.

If you want something NOW, I would select the TRG-22. They are available, half the cost (or less) of an AW an in my humble opinion, they shoot just as well. They hold just as much of their value and are easier to sell when done with as they are less expensive. I readily admit that I am Sako biased. I do not like the AI chassis at all and from the ones I have seen, they offer no benefit over a TRG. Of course, personal preferences and fit vary. I have owned a TRG and it shots lights out out of the box. I do hate the big Sako brake on the 308. The Sako AI arguement is one that I readily accept I will lose to popular opinion here.

My vote goes strongly to Sako TRG. It is almost half the price of a AI, and they are easier to come by.

Moreover, performance is similar to the AI. The drawbacks are the expensive accessories.

Custom can be had for comparable prices to a Sako and cheaper than the AI, it's customized to YOU, and you get exactly what you want. In general it's going to be more repeatable (precision accuracy) and you'll get to talk to the builder and discuss options instead of just dropping cash on the counter adn taking what you get.

Most customs will give you a guarantee of 1/2MOA too.

I suppose it's worth asking how you're planning on using the rifle, and what your impressions of 'something really nice' looks like. Are you just buying the name brand and the design, or does 'nice' mean a quality rifle that shoots well? Buying the name brand will cost you more, and it's not necessarily worth it unless you specifically want that name brand.

If you're looking at a quality rifle that shoots well, you can certainly do yourself a favor and buy a working rifle like a Rem 700 5R or a Tikka T3 Tactical in .308. For about $1000 you get a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA with factory match ammo, and better with handloads. You can use the other $2000 you were going to spend on those other rifles you mentioned to purchase a decent set of optics, a bunch of ammo, reloading equipment, whatever. You use that rifle to shoot the snot out of it so you can get competent at shooting in different situations, THEN get a custom that you know does exactly what you want.

Having said that, if you're set on purchasing one of those rifles you mentioned, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They're all quality pieces of equipment, and it comes down to your budget and your personal preference on which one is nicer.

Good gear all. I'd own some if I could.

I would not covet them because they would make me a better shooter. Fact is, my shooting simply isn't of the caliber (pun intended) that warrants large equipment expenditures.

All the things that are wrong with my shooting would still be wrong, and such fine machinery would very likely be wasted on the likes of me.

I'm pretty certain I'm not alone in this, either...

Let's put it another way.

The day I can demonstrate to myself that a custom rifle will make a seriously tangible gain in my performance, I'm gonna start saving my pennies with a vengeance.

Greg

I have used all three named rifles for a few years but I did not vote. You need to give more information on what you are looking for in a rifle.

Ex: Weight

When they are all fitted with a S&B 3-12 DT scope, the SiG will be the LIGHTEST rifle in the bunch. Followed by the TRG-22 with fixed stock, then the AWP. If you add a folding stock to the TRG, it will be heavier, but a hair lighter than the AWP.

In terms of "accuracy," the TRG-22 & the SiG are pretty much a tie, and are more accurate than the AWP.

In terms of taking abuse, the AWP is without a doubt the most "durable" of the bunch.

Now we have to back up. The SiG 3000 has a 5 ROUND MAGAZINE. There were some 10 rounders that were imported but I have not seen them for a while. AWP & TRG both have 10 round magazines.

Give us more info and we can fill in more from hands on experience.

I do need to say I am not a big fan of the curved trigger found in the AWP. The SiG and Sako triggers are much better built, IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Custom, for all the obvious reasons. What kind of trigger, stock, colors, barrel manufactures, brakes, action, DBM system. Really when you spend alot of money on a gun you should get EXACTLY what you want. </div></div>

+1

Cool. Here's some additional information. The only weight qualification would be that it qualifies for any FT/R match I might find myself in. I believe that all the factory rifles would qualify.

Toughness is important. Although I'm not hard on my rifles, I need to know they are up to the task. I guess I should've included the FN SPR A3G too.

For a little insight, if I go with a custom rig, it really wouldn't be custom as much as it would be a copy. Either the Army's M24 or the USMC M40 series.

What will I do with it? I'll shoot it at the range, reload for it to see what it likes, take it down to Hardrock (or elsewhere) for an occasional match (or an F Class match), I would like to get some additional training from either Shep or Flea one day. Teach my son to shoot it. Show it off down in my shop and at the range.

Paul

From what you're saying I'd probably rule out the AI. It's a badass rifle but for the ammount of use you'd be putting into it it'd be hard to justify the cost unless you can find a smoking deal on a used one.

The TRG-22 seems to meet your needs nicely. It's an in service military sniper rifle, very accurate (though this statement is redundant based on your list), good to go right from the box, and exotic enough that it'll turn heads everywhere you go.

This write up on 6mmbr.com had me a breath away from buying a TRG a year and a half ago.

I still recomend you look into the Desert Tactical Arms rifle too. Being able to swap between .308, .300wm, and .338LM gives you a lot of room to grow. And having taken my AW hunting before, the idea of a very compact well ballanced rifle seems very appealing.

I just went through this, and got the TRG. Except for the broken trigger, it was an awesome rifle. A wee bit heavy, but that worked for me on the long shots.

I definitely liked the coolness factor. It does get a lot of attention.

It is expensive with the accessories (but worth it).

It has an awesome resale value. I'm sure I can get my moeny back out of it right now if I were willing to part with it (which I'm not, Jeff, so don't ask....).

These are my opinions, and free advice is worth every penny.

BTW, I'm not a barrel-change kinda guy, so that was not a factor for me. I like the .308, and will be sticking with it.

Something else to consider if you're really into changing calibers: get an AR-10 and change uppers as necessary. You can get a fair amount of calibers in AR-10 uppers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what you're saying I'd probably rule out the AI. It's a badass rifle but for the ammount of use you'd be putting into it it'd be hard to justify the cost unless you can find a smoking deal on a used one.

The TRG-22 seems to meet your needs nicely. It's an in service military sniper rifle, very accurate (though this statement is redundant based on your list), good to go right from the box, and exotic enough that it'll turn heads everywhere you go.

This write up on 6mmbr.com had me a breath away from buying a TRG a year and a half ago.

I still recomend you look into the Desert Tactical Arms rifle too. Being able to swap between .308, .300wm, and .338LM gives you a lot of room to grow. And having taken my AW hunting before, the idea of a very compact well ballanced rifle seems very appealing. </div></div>

Thanks for the TRG Link, I bookmarked it for later.

How much does one of those Desert Tactical rifles in .308 bring? I imagine they're pricey.

Paul

I did not read all the post above but I will justify my choice. I would go custom, my first choice would be R&D precision. The custom option gives you the chance to tailor it to yourself.

True the Sako TRG accessories are expensive, but maybe besides a magazine, what accessories do you really need. I have a TRG 42 and have a harris bipod which works great. The muzzle break cost 240 but after you factor in the cost of getting a barrel threaded, and then the price of a quality break it is about even.

I'd go custom (as I building one now), though there are really lots of factory models that would be tempting. You might also seriously consider keeping you eyes open for a second hand unit, many of which have been pampered and/or used little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Explorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You might also seriously consider keeping you eyes open for a second hand unit, many of which have been pampered and/or used little. </div></div>

Most definitely will be considering used unit.

As far as the voting has gone, the AI rifle has a large following. If I'm able to get one of those, it would definitely be used as the TRG-22 can be had for about half.

Custom has a strong following too. Keeping in line with what I would want in a custom rifle (copy or clone of an current or former Sniper Rifle, US and although I haven't considered it, maybe one of the European rifles that were built on Mauser actions) who are the leaders in this type of work?

Paul

I voted SSG3000. It outselles the AI and TRG combined 10 - 1 in the civilian market. If you are going to shoot a lot, 10000 rounds + per year, the SSG3000 is easily the best rifle. The "professionals" hate the SSG3000 because any shooter who can assemble a chair from IKEA can build a .4moa SSG3000 from parts in less than 2 hours. A barrel can be changed at the range in less than 15 minutes. You can buy a a .22lr conversion kit, Anschutz quality, who gives you unlimited triggertime. You can buy cheap dropin matchgrade barrels from Europe in both 308 and 6.5X55( app $350 export price). Every new barrel has been testfired for accuracy at the factory before shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I voted SSG3000. It outselles the AI and TRG combined 10 - 1 in the civilian market. If you are going to shoot a lot, 10000 rounds + per year, the SSG3000 is easily the best rifle. The "professionals" hate the SSG3000 because any shooter who can assemble a chair from IKEA can build a .4moa SSG3000 from parts in less than 2 hours. A barrel can be changed at the range in less than 15 minutes. You can buy a a .22lr conversion kit, Anschutz quality, who gives you unlimited triggertime. You can buy cheap dropin matchgrade barrels from Europe in both 308 and 6.5X55( app $350 export price). Every new barrel has been testfired for accuracy at the factory before shipping.

</div></div>

Wow, thanks. I guess more research is needed.

Paul

Tor is right, my SSG3000 has seen over 13k rounds and still shoots very well. The bolt is one of the smoothest I've ever felt, glides like its on glass.

It is more difficult to get parts in the USA. SiG quoted me $1200 + 8 month lead time to get a spare barrel couple years ago. So we ended up buying another copy of the rifle as a spare.

Outside of custom and within that budget range I'd suggest staying with SiG or TRG-22 if you want factory.

I vote for saving your money and shopping for a custom for a great price. On this site I bought a used but like new custom built 300 WSM by Ryan Kelsey at Christenson arms and this rifle had everything and needed nothing. It has a devcon bedded McMillan A-5 stock and Jewel trigger and Shilen barrel . I added a Night Force scope and USO rings and she shoots like perfection. My first 4 shot group was .182 thousandths and I think I pulled on a few shots....I bet I can best that with alittle more shooting..... Alot can be gained with buying a custom....Some of these guys on this site have some great rigs and some may get into a pinch with the economy being alittle south......It helps them if you buy their rifle and it helps you into getting into a great rifle for hundreds or thousands less than what it cost them.......It worked for me, it can work for you.....Just check the reputation of the seller in the GTG list and that always helps....Works like a charm.......Good luck finding a good rig..SmokeRolls

Here's 6.5x55 matchbarrels made from Schultz&Larsen blanks.

Std. barrel, 27"

http://www.vapensmia.no/siv/produkt.php?showid=39&gruppe=Våpen/piper

Barrel with polymer coating/paint ( red! ) to dampen vibrations:

http://www.vapensmia.no/siv/produkt.php?showid=37&gruppe=Våpen/piper

Price without Norwegian sales tax is a little less than $400.

Vapensmia have exported barrels to USA and UK in the past. They speak english. Contact info: http://www.vapensmia.no/siv/index.php

If there at any interest I can check out if there are any gunshops who can export original Sauer barrels. Here's the Sauer barrel collection. All barrels come with a factory test target. All barrels cost less than $400:

Sauer STR Løp 670mm .308 Win
Sauer STR Løp 670mm 6,5x55 Skan
Sauer STR Løp 740mm .308 Win
Sauer STR Løp 740mm 6,5x55 Skan
Sauer STR Løp 700mm 6,5x55 Skan
Sauer STR Løp 700mm .308 Win

Well, the AI guys have the best showing but are the least vocal. The Sig garnered the least amount of votes but it's proponents are the most adamant (for percentage of votes cast). I don't really know what to make of that.

Paul

Custom! You just can't go wrong as long as you use a good smith. You can even save some buck and have a couple barrels done at the same time and have a switch barrel.

You know, I've voted custom and have so far read and hear tremendous things about GAP.........the search leader around here. I will probably go with build when they crank up in AUG. I'd have you consider the FN SPR line and it's superb pre '64 mauser action among your choices of factory builds. Rarely mentioned yet quite capable in the right hands...also, not a budget buster.

PRO's: Look at price, the trg bolt, the trigger assembly, the adjustability of the stock, hammer forging manufacturing process, proven track record.

Cons: expensive ad-on's

trg best bang for buck imo. try pricing the same quality parts on a trg for a custom you cant beat a trg.

I've had a little bit of a problem finding the Sig SSG3000 in stock as well as the Sako.

Are the AI rifles available? What's the difference between the AE and AW?

Where's the best place to get a M24 or M40 copy?

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are the AI rifles available? What's the difference between the AE and AW?
</div></div>

Accuracy wise there is no difference. The AW is more expensive because its chassis is bonded to the action for maximum repeatability/reliability. The AW also has easier to change barrels, a beefier action and a 3 position safety.

An AE should be equal or better in reliability compared to the TRG or a custom rifle, I feel it is a more appropriate comparison to the rifles you mentioned above. The AW is in a league of its own.

Contact Stacey Blankenship on the hide to get an AI rifle.

LMK what all you ditching on that savage before she sales..I could use a wrench and a barrel maybe?

One mans junk is another mans custom..
grin.gif

While I have no experience with the SAKO TRG 22, I do have some time with her big sister, the TRG 42 in 338 LM.
Bolt is the smoothest I've ever encountered, including customs from various local 'smiths.
They cost a lot, but I finally found that I'm willing to pay for quality rather than settle for mediocrity...
In the end, it will all come down to just which one lights your fire though.