• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Which Hunting Pack?

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I need a new day-pack. I'm looking at the Badlands Superday, vs. the new Whitetail Hybrid(nobody seems to have one yet) & the Eberlestock X-1. The X-1 may be bigger than I need, but has the rifle scabbard , & the Badlands have a kinda cheesy rifle mounting system. But I usually carry my rifle in my hands anyway.
    Opinions please.

Re: Which Hunting Pack?

I've got the X-1 and really like it. I don't think it's too big at all. I like the bow carrier since I archery hunt as well as rifle on occasion.

If you live in WA, you might like a little extra room for more Gore-tex.

I looked at many packs but my requirements were a bit different. I wanted something I could put a rifle in for really rough terrain.

For me the choice was the gunslinger, it's bigger than the X1 but with only a 3/4lb weight penalty and with the straps included you can really snug the pack down if it's not loaded. I also didn't like the "ear" pockets on the X1. That and the gunslinger carries your gun centered on your back, not off to one side, I've heard complaints of unbalanced loads over long days if the scabbard is used on the x1.

That said if I had a complaint it would be that while it's a great pack, and very comfy compared to packs without good waist belts, I wore it today on a 12 mile hike with about 6000' vert feet and with about 30lbs in it, it was comfy, but it does feel like it pulls rearward on your shoulders over the day, and that can fatigue your back/shoulders. I'm not sure why this is but I suspect it's because the scabbard ends up spacing the bulk of the weight in the pack further off your back behind you. I don't think I'd want more than 40lbs in it, which when you consider that the pack is #5, your rifle is probably #8, and 100oz of water is almost 9# it gets up there fast.

Now it's still a huge improvement over the crappy waist belt packs or those without waist belts, but it's not up to par with a great waist belt pack like an arcteryx etc. If you really loaded one up heavy it would not be pleasant. This seems to be a complaint with the elberstock's across the board, especially those that expand to take heavy meat loads. The rest of the pack is great, the molle attachments, lots of straps that are well designed to stay out of the way, but really snug things down and it's very quiet, the padding and torso adjustment is nice, you can tell a lot of design thought went into the pack. If it wouldn't have that tendency to feel like it's pulling back on your shoulders it would be perfect. It may also be that if you have a rifle in it, this isn't the case. I figured the hikers would dislike my camo pack enough without a stock sticking out of it
    smile.gif

That said the superday is a great pack, one of the few in that class that have a serious waist belt, especially if you don't plan on using the rifle mounting it would probably be my choice and it's a pound lighter than the X1. To me that's the single best feature to the Elberstock packs is they have the best rifle mount system. The only other issue is the x1 is made of a waterproof fabric and the badlands is not (as far as I can find out). However, if it's really pouring out, you are going to want a pack cover for either one because the zippers will leak. Also the superday does not have any torso adjustment, so if you don't have the average size torso the fit may not be good.

I'd say if you can find a store with each of them have them toss 20lbs in them and wear them around the store. It might look silly, but I'd be willing to bet if you do that, it will make the decision for you as one will probably fit you much better.

I have looking for a high quality daypack myself - my head is starting to spin!!!!

Here is what I have narrowed my choices down to (no particular order):

Sitka "Flash 20"

Kifaru "Spike Camp"

Mystery Ranch "Sweet Pea"

Eberlestock "X2"

Anyone have any hands on experience with any of these packs??

I appreciate the help.

Eberlestock X1 is my favorite...for day hunting its hard to beat.

I apprecaite all the info!! There are no high end back pack stores here in my area, so I am doing my research online.

PGS,

Can you take off the rifle scabbard on the X1 pack??

I found a place that is supposed to have both the Superday, & the X-1. They don't have a Whitetail Hybrid tho. I'll go check them out tomorow.

My needs are simple, my means simpler, I don't cover lots of ground anymore due to the heart condition, my concentraion tends to center on the contents rather than the wrapper.

Old man's contents:

Empty 1 liter saline bottle (for urine, no scent telltales)
    Dried apples, beef jerky snacks
    Apple Juice
    Several long hanks of camo 550 cord
    Dozen 1" ID steel rings, 5 or 6 screw lock snap link thingies
    Spare new, sharp utility knife blades for my folder
    Elbow length plastic cow inseminator gloves, at least five pairs
    Heavy clear plastic 55gal bags
    Bright International orange 55gal plastic bags
    Half dozen tall kitchen trash bags (for relining packs, putting on over socks under shoes in case of deep water, etc.)
    Spare sets of dry warm gloves and socks
    One set of white/gray/black oversize camo BDU's for add'l warmth and overshell camo change in case of snow
    Several Warm watch caps, including at least one white
    Metal match, compass, climber's thermometer
    Small sealed packs of tinder
    A fairly significant addition to ammo supply, mainly for signalling
    Fairly good first aid kit, supplemented with Duck tape, Kotex and tampons, etc, to cope with bleeding incidents
    Several flattened wire coathangers, slipjoint pliers.

This is all from memory, and there are undoubtedly other small items which find their way in as they occur to me.

The point here is to provide for basic needs, and provide maximum flexibility for contingencies involving staying warm, dry, and hydrated, some nourishment to allow the body to continue to generate warmth, dressing game, providing contingency shelter, dragging, hoisting, safety harness, descending, and passive stationary signalling.

My actual packs are camo items, Red Head brand from Bass Pro. A medium sized frameless day pack, a hunter fanny pack and a belt that consists mainly of a warm hand muff, and another belt that supports a 1" insulated camo seat cushion. All carrying compartments are double lined with oversize plastic bags as a water shielding measure. Bags are cheap, contents can be life-or-death.

My hunting these days is mainly more stationary, usually up in a stand, and the season features temps in the teens and wind chills that go subzero for days on end. Obviously I carry a cellphone, and the entire family knows that if I ever get cut off, I will listen for five minutes on the hour, during waking hours. I keep the phone in an inside pocket, not too close to my Pacemaker/Defib implant.

Large plastic bags, partially inflated and sealed can provide significant primary heat insulation. A few more, opened up and joined with duck tape, can be fashioned into emergency shelter; then there's ground cover sheets. Placing stones, etc in the corners, can allow 550 cord to be tightly tied to entrap the stones, forming line anchors, and can then be staked/tied out to form tent lines, tarp tiedowns, etc., without needing to put any holes into the plastic sheeting. Steel rings can be used as rudimentary pulleys, to permit fabricating something like a block and tackle. If you understand the engineering priciples behind basic pioneering, survival becomes a matter of skill, and is greatly enhanced by providing ample, simple basic materials.

Greg

I bit the bullet and went with the Kifaru "Spike Camp" pack. I liked the idea that it was made specifically to my build/size.

I'm still torn. I like the idea of the rifle scabbard in the X-1, but not sure I'd actually use it. I also wonder if the rifle in the scabbard will be knocking my hat off all the time. I like the pockets on the waist belt of the Superday, but it doesn't have any MOLLE points on it. Still can't find anyone with a Whitetail Hybrid to look at yet.

Well I took a chance, & ordered a Badlands Whitetail Hybrid last night. Supposed to be a hybrid Superday with more pockets. I'll see if I made a mistake when it gets here.

My Kifaru Spike Camp is supposed to ship on Aug. 1rst - Man I hate waiting on new toys!!

Well I got my new Whitetail Hybrid, & all I can say is WOW. This thing has so many pockets I don't know what to do with them all. I loaded it up with all the gear I had in my old pack, added some more, & still have more empty pockets than full ones. It is comfortable riding on my back, & the padded waist is great. The rifle carrage system isnt going to ever be used, but I'll give it a try just to see how it works/rides. My only complai9nt so far is the waist belt does ride on top of my gun belt that I wear while hunting. But I'm looking into one that doesn't have the cartridge loops, so it won't be a problem. The padding on the waist may even conform after some more use, & not be a problem either way. The other is the shoulder straps are well padded, but thick, so shouldering my rifle with the pack on may be a problem. I'll find out soon enough. Can't wait for the season to open.

The cabelas day pack in large has faired very well in about any abuse that can be thought of and didn't break the bank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bit the bullet and went with the Kifaru "Spike Camp" pack. I liked the idea that it was made specifically to my build/size.</div></div>

Kifaru's are built to your size, but with how many layers on and what part of the season? Just don't gain or loose too much weight and you'll be ok. And if you decide to sell it, keep in mind that it will only fit guys the same size as you.

The X1 has an adjustable torso as well, and considerably less expensive than a Kifaru. I've used Eberlestock's the past couple years with zero complaints.