• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which iron sights for 40x???

wksinatl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
Thinking about putting irons on my 40x to take advantage of that LOOOONG sight radius. I'm looking for some suggestions/pics to help me decide.

It will be used for some steel targets from a bench and general plinking.

Which front an rear set do you like?

thanks,

Keith

Re: which iron sights for 40x???

I have thought about the same thing before, I would shoot Don in SC a PM. He might have some insight on this topic. Hell he probably has a set that he could sell ya.

Hi KS,

Al. Shooter how you doing?

As for iron sights the factory issue sight was the Redfield Olympic front and rear. Both fine units but Redfield made better sights later on so many rifles are/were upgraded as time elapsed. The Redfield Internationals are simular to the Olympic in both function and utility. The International Rear has larger adjustment knobs and are a big plus for out door shooting were you will be making sight adjustments for wind or elevation often. There's not enough diference in the International front to buy it and the inserts are hard to find for that front as Redfield did not make very many. The best Redfield rear is the Palma. The Palma has a built in lass adjustment plate to tighten up the gallows. If you use the sight allot this is a handy feature and worth the extra money.
You can buy the Olympic front and both the Olympic and Palma rear at the CMP right now. The price is well below what they go for at gun shows and on Ebay. The CMP will sell out soon so I'd buy what you need now. I can't sell you the same sight for that price.
There are many other sights that have been made by Al Freeland, Moe Defini and some others that are good also. You will pay more for them because of collectors and the fact that many are rare. The modern sights made now will cost allot more if they are any good. The cheap ones made now are just that, cheap crap and you'll be throwing your money away. Buy a good set of Redfields and you get period correct sights that will last your whole life and beable to pass down to your kids.

Donald

Ah ha! I knew Don would have some input.
As far as I go, I am doing well staying busy as usual. Not to mention I am enjoying the heck out of the 40X HB you sold me. It has been the most fun I have had shooting in a long while.

I just bought a Rem40X HB .22lr rimfire trainer, and I plan to build up a tactical trainer; I haven't seen the rifle yet, but if it comes with iron sights, then I plan to sell those...

Al. Shooter glad to hear.

I shot a RF match last week and won. 250 12X clean. Was damn close on a few shots. I shot one five shot string with no X's. The little wind mills did a couplete 360 two times in the five shot string. I was working my ass off to keep those little bullets in the ten ring. I think a 22 is the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Donald

I got the Redfield Olympic front and Palma rear from the CMP for one of mine. Seem to work well.