• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which is a better twist rate for a.260 IMP that I would for F class 8” or 10”?

Pépé

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
I would like to build an F class rifle in .260 IMP.
Which is better twist rate? 8” or 10”?
I’m thinking 24” barrel in a #4 contour.

I see no reason to go anything slower than 1:8. I've run .260 Rem and .260 AI with 1:8 using 123 Scenars and 140 hybrids with zero issues.

Reactions: Pépé
Heavy Varmint 28" to 30" in 1-8 or 1-7. Select bullet to shoot and decide rifling rate around that. I would try to push Berger 144 as fast as accurate.
Also, just go 284 win if it's a long action...

Reactions: Pépé and DJL2
I like .284 also because I'm too poor and too busy to fire form. I just did a .284 F Class rifle, the customer is just getting into it and that's where his mentors guided him. He had his own reamer made by JGS, I wouldn't use a SAAMI 284 Win for benchrest, the freebore diameter is oversized and the neck is too big also for F Class level accuracy. Whatever you decide, if Lapua doesn't make brass for it do not use it for benchrest.

Heavy Varmint 28" to 30" in 1-8 or 1-7. Select bullet to shoot and decide rifling rate around that. I would try to push Berger 144 as fast as accurate.
Also, just go 284 win if it's a long action...
It is a short action.