• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which is the best range finder to connect with a Kestrel 5700 Elite "LINK"?

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hey guys,
I´m using the Kestrel 5700 Elite Applied Ballistics Link with a regular Leica range finder w/o a connection.

Now I want to upgrade the system and have a range finder which can be connected to the Kestrel.

Which range finder works best with the Kestrel?
:unsure:

Ive owned a pair of Leica 10 x 42 BRF’s for many years. Originally purchased them to get down to a single instrument for glassing and rangefinding. While the glass is still excellent, their range finding performance has dropped off dramatically over the years, in spite of returning them to Leica for service and recollimation. Two years ago, Upon upgrading from Kestrel 4500’s to a Kestrel 5700 Elite with Link, I was in the same boat as you… Trying to choose the best Range-finding option to employ with the 5700. At the time, the Leica 3200 Binocular Rangefinders were just coming out and my desire was to stay with a single instrument for rangefinding and glassing. Problem at the time was that the 3200’s were getting poor reviews for connectivity with the 5700‘s. To limit financial exposure, I choose to go with the Leica 3500 Monocular Rangefinder. Although I’m back to carrying two instruments again, the 3500’s have served me well. They are light, compact, range exceedingly well, have excellent glass (only 7x though), and connect well with the 5700 when you abide by few rules (Use Lithium Batteries in both Units, keep the Kestrel in front of and above the 3500’s). My experience only; Your results may vary.

Regards
JHC

Rangefinder - look at the sig lineup
Binoculars look at Sig or Vortex
Decide if you need an internal compass in the devices so Kestrel does automatic wind changes with new DOF sent by devices with internal compass. If you have a range with all targets in the same direction, compass is not a requirement, but if hunting or targets are spread out internal compass really helps.

Reactions: Jayjay1
Rangefinder - look at the sig lineup
Binoculars look at Sig or Vortex
Decide if you need an internal compass in the devices so Kestrel does automatic wind changes with new DOF sent by devices with internal compass. If you have a range with all targets in the same direction, compass is not a requirement, but if hunting or targets are spread out internal compass really helps.
Sig devices appear not to transmit DoF to a Kestrel, while Leica and Vortex LRF do. See here:
https://kestrelballistics.com/compare-laser-range-finders

Reactions: Jayjay1
The kilo 2400 and 3k are unable to do that since They do not have compass, 6k and 10k should as they have it but I found no mention of it in the docs and they are still not in the list…
I’ve done a lot of research on the DoF thing, and I’ve got confirmation from others that the 10k cannot pass DoF to the Kestrel. Don’t have time right now to dig it up. Search for my username and the term dof and maybe combine that with kestrel.

I’ve done a lot of research on the DoF thing, and I’ve got confirmation from others that the 10k cannot pass DoF to the Kestrel. Don’t have time right now to dig it up. Search for my username and the term dof and maybe combine that with kestrel.
done that...and appreciate it. In the end seems that the Vortex Fury AB 5k still thicks all the boxes when it comes to combined use with a kestrel, while others are more focused to develop their stuff as standalone devices.

Reactions: carbonbased
I recently purchased the Sig Kilo6K-HD with AB Ultralight(stand alone solver under 300yards(?), haven't used it) and couldn't be more pleased.
They are super easy to use off hand and relay the distance to the 5700 Elite, which then relays new firing solution to my HUD.
Please note: I only bang steel out to 2K, and haven't hunted yet.
Hope this helps.

I have the sig kilo 3k binos and my brother got the vortex binos with ab and I prefer the vortex for direct use/glassing/ranging, but I can't say anything about how it interfaces with kestrel. My sigs do fine with kestrel interfacing, but I have not gotten to really try the vortex rf binos. I'm thinking of switching to the vortex.

Is there anyone who has run both of them and can give a breakdown of their thoughts on each, specifically how well each interfaces with kestrel 5700's?

I have the sig kilo 3k binos and my brother got the vortex binos with ab and I prefer the vortex for direct use/glassing/ranging, but I can't say anything about how it interfaces with kestrel. My sigs do fine with kestrel interfacing, but I have not gotten to really try the vortex rf binos. I'm thinking of switching to the vortex.

Is there anyone who has run both of them and can give a breakdown of their thoughts on each, specifically how well each interfaces with kestrel 5700's?
I have both and find them so alike they could have been made in the same factory. I can't see enough difference while viewing the range to have a comment on better or worse. The Vortex does have a compass so it will pass DOF to the Kestrel where the Sig does not, just passes distance and angle. My guess is that they connect about the same because AB software is the core in both. I like them both, but prefer the Vortex due to the compass.

Reactions: Raffy and giumau1
terrapin x gives angle and direction to the kestrel and to many apps. if it would maintain a connection it is a clean solution.

Reactions: ACard
terrapin x gives angle and direction to the kestrel and to many apps. if it would maintain a connection it is a clean solution.
The Terrapin is a great LRF that connects to the Kestrel, however it does not display holds in the lens as the others do. You need to look at the Kestrel for those.

The Terrapin is a great LRF that connects to the Kestrel, however it does not display holds in the lens as the others do. You need to look at the Kestrel for those.
my process is connect terrapin to kestrel, range a target, change to next target on kestrel range card, range next target, etc til my range card is done. then i go to the gun. the range card will show the directions and wind corrections.

I’m pretty sure the Sig 10K does provide dof to my kestrel. I’ll confirm when I’m back in the States.