• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Kestrel do you recommend??

Heat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Southern Ohio
I've really been getting serious about my shooting lately. I've gone to several tactical competions in the past month and a half at TVP and Rayner's and I've actually been doing very well, but I really want to start getting more accurate documention of all my dope and I think a weather machine would be a good asset to my arsenal. So what do you guys use or suggest? Doesn't have to be a Kestrel I guess.

Spill it!

Re: Which Kestrel do you recommend??

Kestrel 4000NV or non NV model. Both do the same except the NV model is OD Green or Desert Tan and has a back lit screen for use with NODs

I agree with deadly. Either of the 4000s, depending on your need of the features.

stovetop if you don't mind me asking where are the comps you have been attending and what days are they i work weekends just wondering

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kestrel 4000NV or non NV model. Both do the same except the NV model is OD Green or Desert Tan and has a back lit screen for use with NODs </div></div>

Cool. Thanks deadly. I've got a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks and my wife has been hounding me about what I want, I tried for a suppressor but she didn't bite, lol. No harm in trying, right? I guess I'll settle for the kestrel.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtech308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you dont' mind shoot me a pm with that info </div></div>

pm inbound.

I love the 4500 series, Density Altitude is one sexy number you can plug into your ballistics calculator.

As far as Lindy's comment, I use Shooter for Android as my ballistics calculator, and you can insert the density altitude, and it makes input much quicker.

You *might* consider grabbing one of the Bluetooth models (available in the 4000/4500 models), for future use - it's about $90-100 upgrade. Currently it wouldn't be helpful for shooting applications.

However, given the capability I'd imagine at least one of the mobile ballistic software packages (Ballistic, Bullet Flight, Shooter) will eventually exploit this capability. It'd be really nice to open the app and have it automatically grab environmental conditions from the meter instead of having to type the values in.

Of course it's anyones guess as to when we'll see software that will use this, but it just makes too much sense to ignore, IMHO.

I got the 4500 because it can calculate crosswind along with the wind speed (as well as some other features). However, I don't really use that function anyway. So I would recommend the 4000 or 4500.

4500 blu tooth..... lot of fun with it and field firing solutions.....

I use 4500NV+Bluetooth. I find it convenient that the device calculates the exact (with reasonable precision) crosswind, and I find it convenient that I can upload the data to computer directly and without wires.

Has anyone used the Brunton ADC PRO it looks like a nice one. A little smaller then the Kestrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have the Kestrel 4500 NV Bluetooth in-stock right now...(we also have the 4500 w/out bluetooth non-nv, 4000 non-nv, and 4000NV)

We have more info on the differences in the Kestrel models here...

Thanks,

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Yeah, your link clears up a few other questions I had. I think the 4000 will suit my needs. I don't have a use for the NV model or Bluetooth(yet). I'll hopefully be placing an order through you in a week or two. Thanks for the help.

I have a couple of demo (used in a day long class) 4000NV units in stock for $200 shipped and new ones for $230 shipped.

The added features of the 4500 do not work reliably on the ground. Attached to a tripod up in the wind they perform reasonably well.

The military uses the 4000NV.

I just got the 4500NV Bluetooth - there IS a version of Delta-IV in development that uses the Kestrel's bluetooth to fill in all the weather parameters for you automatically. It's not a released version and it's had some problems with the WM version 6 because they have done something with the bluetooth comm stack but it has worked fine with WM ver 5.

I also went with the bluetooth version so I could pull the data off & import into a xls spreadsheet. Without bluetooth you have to buy the serial kit and usb/serial port adapter if your PC does not have a serial port which most nows days don't. All depends what you want to use it for, they are very nice intruments!

Due to cost and my location, I just bought a Skywatch Xplorer 4 in lieu of a Kestrel. Has anyone use this product before?

The unit is relatively small and can provide information on wind, temp, altitude, pressure etc.

4000 unless you want the bluetooth capability. i have the 4500NV and love it, but rarely use the added features. you could definitely get by with the 4000.

Index finger. Spit. End of thread.
wink.gif

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Index finger. Spit. End of thread.
wink.gif

-X </div></div>

Do you think we can get within half a mph that way?? Lol.

The best use of the wind measuring function in the Kestrel is when you are not shooting.

Estimate the wind by looking around and feeling the wind. Then open up the Kestrel, and measure it.

Repeat until you are pretty good at wind estimation without it - because when you're actually shooting, you probably won't have time to use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best use of the wind measuring function in the Kestrel is when you are not shooting.

Estimate the wind by looking around and feeling the wind. Then open up the Kestrel, and measure it.

Repeat until you are pretty good at wind estimation without it - because when you're actually shooting, you probably won't have time to use it.
</div></div>

I tell people that all the time. Nicely done Lindy!

Mike @ CST