• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Kestrel meter for beginner

SilentSniperVT

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
Burlington, Vermont, USA
So I’m new/getting back into the sport and was wondering which Kestrel meter would be the best purchase that does every thing I need it to do and nothing I don’t? I don’t really need the ballistic model because there is plenty of software out there for phone/tablets I think. Thanks for helping and don’t mind if I find a used model.

I haven't personally used one, but check out the Weatherflow unit. Does everything the Kestrel 5500 does (wind, atmosphere, compass) for less than a third of the price, except that you have to run it off your phone instead of on the unit itself - which is arguably a plus since a phone display is much easier to read.

I just bought the 5700 Elite AB Kestrel on Tuesday. I like that it'll do everything I need it to do (and plenty more). I had originally purchased a 5500 Kestrel link weather meter that works perfectly fine, but I found that I wanted integration with ballistics software and I wanted it to tie into my phone. Since you don't need all that.... If during your research you find that the 5500 would work well for you, PM me and I'll make you a good deal on one. It's basically brand new still. Actually planned on putting it up for sale next week.

Reactions: hereinaz
I just bought the 5700 Elite AB Kestrel on Tuesday. I like that it'll do everything I need it to do (and plenty more). I had originally purchased a 5500 Kestrel link weather meter that works perfectly fine, but I found that I wanted integration with ballistics software and I wanted it to tie into my phone. Since you don't need all that.... If during your research you find that the 5500 would work well for you, PM me and I'll make you a good deal on one. It's basically brand new still. Actually planned on putting it up for sale next week.

Okay I’ll send you a PM

I upgraded to the 5700 from the 4000 kestrel. Glad I did. I think thats where you will end up so if you can swing it just as well start there.

I just ordered the 5700 yesterday. I have a 3500 that's worked well but I've been wanting to upgrade and had a bunch of points on my Amazon card.

I was you three weeks ago. Debated and debated. Used a lot of the same logic (free software on the phone).

Found a solid deal on a 5700 Elite with Link and have not regretted it.

@Polizei45 has the right idea with the non-Elite and then upgrade later if you need to structure the budget.

You will quickly use the 3 rifles that the 5700 has, plus it has the range card. I would just go with the elite

Like so many, I started with one, then went to the 5700 AB sportsman, then the Elite to get all the features and Bergers custom curves.