• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Kestrel

alexlaw86

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2008
Hi guys,

I am looking at getting a Kestrel, which model is the most suitable for long range shooting? I have in mind the 4000, however am not sure whether or not to go up to the 4500.

Cheers,

Alex

Re: Which Kestrel

The primary difference between the 4000 and the 4500 is that the 4500 has "Additional measurements including didgital [sic] compass, wind direction, crosswind and head/tailwind," according to KestrelMeters.com.

I don't find those additional features useful.

IMO, the best use of the wind feature of the Kestrel is to learn to judge with wind without it, i.e., when you're not shooting, estimate the wind strength, then measure it with the Kestrel. Repeat until you can get pretty close to what the Kestrel tells you.

When you're actually shooting, you rarely have time to sit and watch the Kestrel. If you do have time, by the time you have measured the wind with it, and have gotten on the rifle to shoot, the wind has changed.

So, I love my 4000, and have no plans to upgrade it.

That's my two cents, worth, probably just about that...

I got the 4500 for the cross wind feature which I don't use very often. The Density Altitude feature is the most important to me. I think the 4000 does that as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, I love my 4000, and have no plans to upgrade it.
</div></div>

+1 Love my 4000, does everything I need.

I have the 4500 and don't use any of the additional features over the 4000. The most usefull aspect of them is the DA calculation...and then the wind speed.