• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which lower for a .308 build DPMS or Armalight?

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
Im going to start the slow process of a .308 Ar Build. Is there any that gives an advantage over the other except for availability at this point?

Re: Which lower for a .308 build DPMS or Armalight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going to start the slow process of a .308 Ar Build. Is there any that gives an advantage over the other except for availability at this point? </div></div>

At one point, Armalite held the advantage over the DPMS style offering; these days, at least IMHO, the pendulum has swung most decisively in favor of a DPMS style rifle.

Mags are available from DPMS, C Products & MagPul (in the excellent P Mag style) whilst Armalite is still playing with the outdated & somewhat finicky modified M1A mag. C Products & MagPul offer true 20 round capacity & ability to use the M118LR 175gr round. (as opposed to the DPMS offering which won't handle the length of the M118 & only holds 19 rounds, one round less capacity ain't a biggie but being a c*nt hair too short to handle M118 is, at least to me)

Krieger is producing barrels for the DPMS as well as the Armalite, so you have an option for an off the shelf barrel. I have found DPMS to be easy to work with regarding getting parts of the .308 to build up my own custom barrels, uppers, lowers, etc but have no experience how Armalite are in this respect. For example, it is fairly simple to get a bolt carrier group & barrel extension from DPMS (well, as long as you can wait for the current rush to subside) but I don't know how Armalite would respond to such a request.

Just as many aftermarket shops are machining uppers & lowers for both systems & I know of two more shops soon to be offering the choice. I don't think a lack of uppers or lowers is going to be your issue.

Popular scuttlebutt is that AR10's tend to either work or not whereas DPMS guns usually run OK from the start. The problem with the AR10 may well be the mag, I don't have much experience with them, perhaps another, more enlightened member can jump in?

I guess it boils down to personal choice but my vote goes to the DPMS system on the mag issue. YMMV.

GMAN,

Thanks for your input.. That was exactly what i was looking for. So the DPMS would be the better choice for mag availablilty. Esp with the new pmags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GMAN,

Thanks for your input.. That was exactly what i was looking for. So the DPMS would be the better choice for mag availablilty. Esp with the new pmags.
</div></div>

That would be my vote. C Products mags are good to go too, I did have a little input about 18 months ago on how to make the mag the best on the market & Larry listened. It's a really nice mag.

I went to GAP for the build on a DPMS after consideration - main reason to decide DPMS - magazine availability.

GAP took the question out of the function, and it made no difference to them which make to start with.

The fit is tight, has the features I spec'd, can't wait to get it out to the range...

Good luck in your decision!

PS - GMAN - thanks for the info on C Products and the others... good info!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarAW50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more question...would it make a difference DPMS vs AR10 for an rDIAS?
Thanks </div></div>

Nope it won't make a difference because it will not function in either.