• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which lowers should I SBR?

Vicdiesel

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2014
South Texas
So, I have a couple of AR pistols I will more then likely have to SBR given the ATF’s proposed measures.
Question being, do I SBR my LMT lowers or my diy lowers?
Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but, should shit go down, do I want my “quality” lowers confiscated or should I “sacrifice” my diy’s?

By diy, do you mean an 80% that you finished (does it have a serial?), or something cheap like an Anderson or PSA lower that you built into a pistol lower? I wouldn't Form 1 a lower that you finished yourself from an 80% blank. I would form 1 an Anderson or PSA lower though, and not do the LMT lower. The LMT is worth more, and value would go down if you have to engrave your name on the side of it.

Whichever are perfectly in spec which is probably the LMT.

Figure you’re probably not going to sell a lower with your name on it. For my money, I’d SBR a lower I had less money in. But, as said above, make sure it is gtg before starting.

Figure you’re probably not going to sell a lower with your name on it. For my money, I’d SBR a lower I had less money in. But, as said above, make sure it is gtg before starting.

I look at it the opposite, I want my SBR Lower to be something quality that's feature rich like a PWS MOD 2/KAC SR15/ Seekins/ LMT..
Because you can run that lower on any of your Uppers it doesn't have to be Sub 16" upper or you can't use it.

This right here. Engrave the LMT and it's gonna be a huge loss if you go to sell.

This right here. Engrave the LMT and it's gonna be a huge loss if you go to sell.
And, unlike a suppressor, removing a SBRd lower from the registry is [apparently] as easy a filling out the proper form stating that the rifle has been configured as a 16”+ barreled rifle. So, your not married to it or trying to transfer an NFA item.

Not trying to sound like a nut job but….
I’m more concerned about a gun grab then I am loosing value.
My LMT’s would be the last rifles/ lowers I’d ever sell!

But, if shit went down and the “o’so trusty” ATF came knocking and confiscating sbr’s, I’d hate to give up my most expensive lowers!
Bear in mind that the lowers would be mated to a Larue UU and a palmetto state armory upper, both in .300 blackout.
I have ruger and aero lowers that I’d more readily “sacrifice”.

thanks for all the reply’s gents!

But, if shit went down and the “o’so trusty” ATF came knocking and confiscating sbr’s, I’d hate to give up my most expensive lowers!
Bear in mind that the lowers would be mated to a Larue UU and a palmetto state armory upper, both in .300 blackout.

I think there is more of a probability that it would go down the opposite. NFA would be last to go.

Is concerned about registering lowers, because ATF/NFA...

....enumerates on a publicly accessible website about how many weapons they have, what caliber they are, etc....

....From and IP address which coincides with either a phone or physical address Powers can easily find by contacting the site administrators....

Good initiative, bad judgment.

Is concerned about registering lowers, because ATF/NFA...

....enumerates on a publicly accessible website about how many weapons they have, what caliber they are, etc....

....From and IP address which coincides with either a phone or physical address Powers can easily find by contacting the site administrators....

Good initiative, bad judgment.
I wasn’t expressing any concern regarding registering lowers, I was asking which ones!

I have suppressors so, I’m already in the mix! That’s why I’ll be registering lowers should/when the need arises! There’s a higher chance of those “respectable” atf agents knocking on my door then anyone who isn’t already in the system.

I’m also not discussing anything illegal so your asinine statement regarding posting my reasonable question is absolutely moot!

Go troll somewhere else clown!

Depends on what ones you bought at a dealer, and what ones (if any) you may have bought private sale.

I would keep back any I bought from a private sale, regardless of make.

I know you just slammed 1911 about "registered" guns, buy hey... the way things are going, it may not be long before they're going through dealer records, then coming door to door. You must be worried, if you're asking. Hell, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

Absent that concern... Yeah, hold onto the LMT.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73
Depends on what ones you bought at a dealer, and what ones (if any) you may have bought private sale.

I would keep back any I bought from a private sale, regardless of make.

I know you just slammed 1911 about "registered" guns, buy hey... the way things are going, it may not be long before they're going through dealer records, then coming door to door. You must be worried, if you're asking. Hell, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

Absent that concern... Yeah, hold onto the
You make a valid point!
All my ARs and lowers have been transferred or bought through an ffl.

I think I’ll keep my LMT’s out of the mix!
Thanks!

I wasn’t expressing any concern regarding registering lowers, I was asking which ones!

I have suppressors so, I’m already in the mix! That’s why I’ll be registering lowers should/when the need arises! There’s a higher chance of those “respectable” atf agents knocking on my door then anyone who isn’t already in the system.

I’m also not discussing anything illegal so your asinine statement regarding posting my reasonable question is absolutely moot!

Go troll somewhere else clown!
If you're concerned about mass gun confiscating vs. Resale value vs. how you sourced the lower(s), then my point went right over your head.

Register whatever you want because in the event of confiscations, they're gonna search for, and take everything they find, not just the registered items.