• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which Manfrotto Tripod are you useing?

Re: Which Manfrotto Tripod are you useing?

190xv with spiked retractable feet 160spk3

I've got both the 190 and 055 (aluminum versions). Both are great with the 055 being a bit thicker and heavier. I'm sure either would suit your needs just fine. I cut the legs down on my 055 way down to make it more compact and left the 190 in its original configuration.

I know there are so many Manfrotto versions it can be confusing. B&H Photo has the biggest selection I know of and has great descriptions of each along with plenty of reviews. I bought a great kit from them awhile back that had a Manfrotto 190 and a 322 pistol grip head which I really like. My 055 has a standard joystick head which is great also. I like the pistol grip heads as they don't have all the sticks and knobs to twist around for adjustment.

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with an 804RC2 pan/tilt head. A buddy of mine has the 055's little brother, the 190XPROB...same head. Both of these tripods will allow you to observe from the prone, sitting/kneeling, and standing positions with ease. The XPROB tripods have the horizontal center column that rotates out which you may or may not want/need. I use this feature when shooting prone. Deploy the tripod to one side, extend the center column out and over to my shooting position, then position the scope close to me so that I don't have to drastically alter my shooting position to spot hits on target or otherwise. It is a great feature!

The only real differences between the 190 and the 55 are the weight they'll support (due to the differences in the diameter of the tripod legs/supports). The 190 will hold around 11lbs (don't forget to add the weight of whatever the head you decide to install on the tripod when calculating how big a tripod you need) while the 55 will support around 15.5lbs. Those are Manfrotto's rating which are terribly understated. I have attached my PRS rifle cradle to my 055 and use it to support a 17lb+ rifle/gear without any issues.

As for a tripod head...that is your call. I really like how solid the 804RC2 head is on my tripod, but I have also used the 322RC2 grip head which I have been considering upgrading to for a while now (too many ideas and not enough cash to fund them all...sigh).

I would check out the tripods on B&H Photo/Video's website and get an idea of what you might prefer. They have excellent pics, reviews, etc. on their site, as well as a HUGE selection. BUT...with that said...before you buy, get with Doug and the guys at CameralandNY (a site sponsor here) and see what they can do for you. I will bet you that they will beat B&H's price and you'll be supporting "one of our own" by going that route.

GOOD LUCK!!

Just Ordered 055XPROB with 3265 Head, should work perfect with the Gold Ring HD That should be here soon, goona be like X-mas in June. 2 day F-class match this weekend to break them in with.

Any pics of your guys set ups? I am looking at mounting a
set of geovids on a tri pod for prone position.

Why not use the Giotto Pro since they support about 22 lbs which is far more then the Manfroto's.
Couple that with an Arca head or the Giotto 1300 head and you should have a good combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any pics of your guys set ups? I am looking at mounting a
set of geovids on a tri pod for prone position. </div></div>

If you mount your Geovids to a tripod, look into getting one of these http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product.sc?productId=2&categoryId=-1

A guy here on The Hide turned me on to this adapter awhile back and it works great. Much better than that contraption Leica makes.

I have both the 055 and the 190ProB. The 055 is an a far bigger/heavier tripod but it lacks the facility to have the centre column as already noted.

If you don't have to carry your gear very far, or of your using a full size spotter, the 055 is the way to go.

These days I tend to favour the the 190ProX simply as its a little more portable, and does an excellent job with spotters of 60mm or smaller.

With regards using a full size tripod for shooting prone, we were shown this way. I have used the 055 like this and it works extreamly well; far better than the small low tripods you typically see being used...

bab1581b.jpg

Probably not a set up a sniper would use "operationally" but fine for range work and also good for hunting. For use on game, if your setting up in one location, a small camo net thrown over the tripod provides the hunter almost a "mini-hide" situation...

I should add the pic above *is not* me and I took it from another British forum some time ago as it shows the technique well. I wish I could give credit to the people concerned, but their names escaope me at the moment.