• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which manual?

cheddar

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Madison, WI.
The only local place around me to stock these is Gander. I went there and they had 2. Neither looked great but the Nosler manual was ok. From experience, what have you guys found most useful to an entry level reloader?

If anyone has anything they want to sell let me know. I have to start reading asap!

BTW: caliber is .223 if it matters.

Re: Which manual?

If you're loading to get bulk ammo, there are lots of choices.

If you're loading to get better competition ammo, I recommend this book:

http://www.zediker.com/books/handloading/hlmain.html

I bought this book before I began handloading for a precision rifle. It has not only recommendations for equipment and techniques, but also explanantions for the choices, which allow one to make better informed decisions.

Buying that book saved me a ton of money - because I've not had to change a single choice I made after reading it.

I started with the ABC's of Reloading. Good book, good information, lots of pictures, and easy to read and understand. This is a perfect book for the beginner. I also have the Barnes manual, the Lee manual, and the Hodgdon one. I have heard good things about the Lyman manual but have yet to see or read it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lyman manual is a good start, have you read this post?
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96660&nt=3&page=1
Lots of good info there.
</div></div>

+1... on the Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. It contains 2 or 3 times the USABLE information in most other manuals. They aren't trying to sell you their bullets or powder. Be sure and read all the stuff between the caliber specific chapters.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Edited to add: Lindy is also right on the Zediker book. But it's a bit tall for a beginner. Think about it after you get used to loading a bit.</span>

Good luck with your new hobby. Some of us find that the loading is actually a seperate hobby in itself. But it sure makes you feel good when you touch the trigger on one you've loaded yourself and it goes "bang". Then it hits where it's suppossed to go.