• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which mounting system is best for an AR?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Which of the three is better for mounting a variable scope to an AR? This is a non-tactical rig. Quick detach is not a priority. I'm not even running BUIS.

1. riser block and rings combo?
2. Xtra high rings like leupold mk4 or tps or seekins?
3. Or one piece scope base with integral rings?

It's a 16" hbar with free float tube, and I'm looking to mount a leupold vx3 1.75x6x32mm.

Thank you!

Re: Which mounting system is best for an AR?

If not to be QD I'd suggest NF Unimount.
High rings are fine, but you rarely can get proper eye relief if the front ring has to be on the receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stungib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out LaRue Tactical </div></div>

Benchmark to judge other QD mounts by for a reason!! Definately good stuff, just too high for my taste.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stungib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out LaRue Tactical </div></div>

Benchmark to judge other QD mounts by for a reason!! Definately good stuff, just too high for my taste. </div></div>

Nightforce unimount is $247.

Larue mount is under $200.

I have a Larue SPR-S mount that works great for me. Has 10 Moa built in. The nightforce has 20 moa built in.

I would get the NF if you don't want/need QD capability and the Larue if you do.

If on a budget, I would go with a YHM riser and TPS rings. I bought a used yhm riser on ar15.com for $30. TPS rings are 50-60.

-dan

I really like the KAC mount but the for the money there are mounts that'll work just as good for way less $$.

I originally had Mk4 Super High rings (before swapping for the KAC mount) and that was good for me and on a budget at the time.

+1 the Larue and NF Unimount.

DSC_0008.jpg

I run a GG&G GS-1 extended rail and Badger rings on one of my precision ARs and a Larue on another. The GS-1 allows you to use low or med. rings and set the scope out for proper eye relief. The LaRue allows quick removal. Both system work great.

One piece Armalite mounts work very well. 1" or 30 mm return to zero if taken off, $70 to $80. I've got a LaRue but actually like the Armalite better.

JP enterprises updated thier mount, its pretty nice but it is not a QD mount.

I like the jp mount. I have one on the way. I think they are just as good as larue as long as you are not looking for qd. I have a spr-e and it is nice and all but I have never once taken it off for any reason besides seeing if it held zero. However, if you get a larue and thinknyou want something else you could sell it for very close to what you paid for it