• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Which movies do you wish they'd make?

quietmike

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2009
Shelbyville, TN
Which books, stories, history, etc. do you think would make a great movie?
My picks:

The battle of Khe Sanh. The intensity and length of this battle would make a great movie.

The USS Indianapolis. There have been a couple of movies about it so far, but they were pretty cheesy. Quint's story in Jaws was better than the Nicholas Cage CGI nonsense.

One Second After. A book about a surprise EMP attack in the US. It goes into great detail and is very grim.

What's your pick?

I’d like to see the entire Leatherstocking Tales done. Done right. No leaving anything out or PC’ing it up.

I’d also like to see One Second After done, that’d be awesome if it was true to the book and done right.

Saw Fallout last night.
Was in the shop today trimming brass. John Wick was on:
Then it hit me; John Wick vs Ethan Hunt?? There would never ba a dull moment!!
Just a thought?

Another vote for "Without Remorse" though I do say that THAT movie could be done as a mini-series considering there are SO many different things that are happening, to tie it all together. Can't be done in 2 hours.

A continuation of MORE of the Jack Ryan books into movies.

Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter would be an excellent movie, IF they stick to the book. If they don't, then don't even bother starting.

Louis L'Amour books into movies. There's a number of them done already, but more would be better. On that note, the first I'd suggest would be Comstock Lode. Second though, would be 'Night Over The Solomons'.

Still want to see a sequel to True Lies.

Third episode of Boondock Saints (I pray that it's better than II was)

The Accountant, Part II

Sure wish there were a way to do a sequel/continuation of Law Abiding Citizen......

I used to read Don Pendleton's books about Mack Bolan, the Executioner, a Viet Nam vet who came home because his family was killed by the Mafia and he started a war against them, going from city to city (in each book) and wiping them out. A movie was supposed to be made about him, but I guess it just kinda fell thru. I read over 200 books and I never felt like it got repetitious. Would make a great action adventure series...Unfortunately, society got all PC and it just wasn't nice to even mention the Mafia anymore, so Bolan joined the government, despite his always wanting to work alone and even recruited a team to help him out fighting foreign bad guys.

Reactions: quietmike and fx77
Dean Martin really screwed up the Matt Helm series with his stupid movies which reminded me of Elvis doing his "Girls, Girls, Girls" type of movies. Matt Helm was a hard nosed guy and a reboot of his franchise if based on the books would make a good series.

One movie I would like to see remade, but only if it followed Ian Fleming's original story in the Spy Who Loved Me book. First of all, I learned how to improve my writing by using adjectives which, after all is what writing is all about, describing things to your readers. Fleming was a master at using so many adjectives in his original stories. Whenever a new Bond movie came out, they released a book that was pretty much the screenplay. Difficult to find Fleming's original stories. So, the Spy Who Loved Me is taken from the woman's POV and in the book, Bond doesn't show up until 3/4 of the way in. I thought it innovative at the time, writing from a woman's point of view. Not easy, unless you have had plenty of practice posing as a woman to fool men in chat rooms...LOL

Reactions: quietmike
American sniper, but based on the book and not on Clint Eastwoods wet fantasy....

The Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melbone (The original Storm Bringer) series could be done now with the Marvel/Disney technology. They would very much be R rated right from the opening scenes based on the violence alone.

Reactions: Faronth
I would like to see a multi-part, big budget movie of Stephen King's, "The Stand". I think it's the best of all his books, and the made for TV shit was so pathetic it was criminal.

I also think they ruined The Dark Tower by abridging all three books into one movie and not giving it it's due.

Chesty Puller...the mini series per conflict he fought in. Like Band of Brothers

The Pacific sucked goat ass at telling any of the main character's real stories, each one pretty much could have been their own movie.

I used to read Don Pendleton's books about Mack Bolan, the Executioner, a Viet Nam vet who came home because his family was killed by the Mafia and he started a war against them, going from city to city (in each book) and wiping them out. A movie was supposed to be made about him, but I guess it just kinda fell thru. I read over 200 books and I never felt like it got repetitious. Would make a great action adventure series...Unfortunately, society got all PC and it just wasn't nice to even mention the Mafia anymore, so Bolan joined the government, despite his always wanting to work alone and even recruited a team to help him out fighting foreign bad guys.

Hope these are good. Just bought the first three books.

I like the Jack Reacher series. Too bad Tom Cruise bought the movie rights to all of them and of course cast himself as the lead role. He is absolutely a terrible actor to pick for this series.

A movie about Operation Al Fajr, Phantom Fury in Fallujah 2004. Maybe with a couple halfway decent actors and a budget that makes it worth watching.

Reactions: quietmike
[QUOTE="Faronth, post: 7823430

I like the Jack Reacher series. Too bad Tom Cruise bought the movie rights to all of them and of course cast himself as the lead role. He is absolutely a terrible actor to pick for this series.
[/QUOTE]

When it was announced that Tom Cruise was going to be in the remake of "War of the Worlds", I thought he would be too short to play the Martian!!! ;)

Reactions: Slash0311
I love Epic movies so i would love to some see some WWI or WWII movies with badass effects and great storyline.

So basically you are an action adventure type of guy. Nothing wrong with that.

However, I suggest you look at some really olde movies for some great storylines, beginning with the silent movie about WWI, All Quiet on the Western Front. It has a killer ending!

Then a movie taken from a best seller, A Walk in the Sun.

How badass effects do you want? How about Jack Palance's arm getting trapped under a German tank, losing it, getting up and shooting his own C.O.

Perhaps the gore from Starship Troopers is not enough for you? Oh, wait, you said WWI or II. Well, aren't they just about all the same?

I used to read Don Pendleton's books about Mack Bolan, the Executioner....

I read all the Mack Bolan books back in the day. In fact, I might still have them all! I really enjoyed them. I'd love to see a series made out of them. "I am the alpha and the omega."

However, I suggest you look at some really olde movies for some great storylines, beginning with the silent movie about WWI, All Quiet on the Western Front. It has a killer ending!

How badass effects do you want? How about Jack Palance's arm getting trapped under a German tank, losing it, getting up and shooting his own C.O.

Perhaps the gore from Starship Troopers is not enough for you? Oh, wait, you said WWI or II. Well, aren't they just about all the same?
i feel like a lot of people don't know what 'Brothers in arms' got through, hunger thirst, the trauma, what it takes to stay alive out. young men and women, legs and arms being blow off. so many that have die in service. i feel there's a lot of untold story. the whole SuperHero thing is cool but this is what i would love to see.

I am really surprised that no one has made a movie about this man:

hinson-portrait1.jpg

512dDiw2iCL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

20180416_193044-1.jpg

One of the most badass and hardcore figures to have ever lived. John W. "Old Farmer Jack" Hinson (1807-1874), a man who only cared about raising his family and tending to his crops. Neither slave owner or abolitionist, pro or anti state's rights, Hinson did not care about politics or the civil war that was tearing the country apart in the 1860's. When Fort Donelson fell to Union troops in 1862 though, the Army of the Cumberland instituted a zero tolerance policy against anyone suspected of sympathizing with or aiding the Confederate cause. One day, Hinson's two sons were arrested by Union soldiers, mistakenly identified as Rebel spies and were executed and beheaded. To add insult to injury, the Union lieutenant in command of the police patrol ordered Hinson to have the heads of his own sons mounted to posts outside his home as a warning to other "Secesh sympathizers".

Following this incident, Hinson sent the rest of his family away to safer lands, then took his deer rifle and a satchel of ammunition and went on a one man spree of vengeance against the Union occupiers of Tennessee for the remainder of the war. Some of the Union troops he killed had been shot at over a mile away. He particularly targeted the Union gunships on the Mississippi, killing soldiers as they emerged from the hatches or turrets of their ships. On his rifle stock were carved 36 notches, one for every high ranking officer that he blasted away. His total kill count was well over 100. At one point, four Union regiments had been assigned just to hunt him down, with no success.

This was the rifle that he used: A full stock Kentucky pattern percussion-converted muzzleloader in .50 caliber with a heavy bull barrel for long range stability, adjustable match triggers and with or without a Malcolm scope mounted.

hinson-rifle1.jpg

Just ordered the book...

UPDATE: Just got the book in today. Will start reading it tomorrow morn...

UPDATE Pt. II: Just finished the book and it is a great one. Surprisingly it doesn't get into the actual sniping until over halfway into the book. This is a well researched and documented book. I highly recommend it to those who want to learn about what life was like during the War Between the States/Civil War to you Yankees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Plus one on recommending that book. That man had a powerful need for retribution. Incredible story. My cousins wife gave me a copy a few years back. Her folks comes from the area Hinson did. Not sure but I think she is related to him somehow.

My family are more of the Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin types.
When I took my soon to be wife (rural Mississippi) back home (rural Maine) for the first time I said don't worry, its pretty much the same. Only all the statues on the town commons' wear different uniforms.

It would make a great movie if done right.

[QUOTE="Faronth, post: 7823430

When it was announced that Tom Cruise was going to be in the remake of "War of the Worlds", I thought he would be too short to play the Martian!!! ;)
[/QUOTE]

He sure the hell is too short to play Jack Reacher! :)

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

that jack palance movie was called "Attack" from 1956. A Walk in the Sun was my favorite when I was a kid.

RE: Jack Hinson. Probably way too PC a world to do a movie that showed him as the man he was. He'd probably be portrayed as a sweaty killer, or a screw-loose deranged rogue.
His rifle was custom-made for him to his specs. He went forth, and the only men he killed on land were the SGT, and Officer who ordered his boys killed. The rest were killed at ranges up to 1,000 yards, open sights, rested in the fork of a tree. They were passengers on riverboats transporting Union troops southward on the river, and were targeted when the boats slowed down. At the moment of the strike, the sound and smoke had dissipated, so no one on deck had a clue as to where the round had come from. he targeted mostly Union Officers.The rifle is now in the possession of a Judge in a neighboring county.
The story about his boy's heads being hung on the newell posts is apocryphal, and has not been documented, but that sort of inhuman cruelty was not uncommon.
As far as has ben documented Capt Jack was never formally in the Service of the Confederacy, was not a captain and not actually proven to have been. scout for Forrest. But it makes goo d legend, so I never argue against it.
There is a small private museum and if the curator iss till alive, he will talk endlessly about Hinson's activities.
Hinson was a local farmer, and was said to have hidden his treasure beneath a large oak tree with the assistance of his household servant. Never recovered.
He was not ever discovered, nor ever hunted down or captured, and took no wounds. His craftsmanship as a sniper is of the finest work ever.
I visited his grave with two other Tiger Force veterans, an FO, and a Platoon Leader, who lived nearby. The region is rife with history, battlefields, and families of Confederate warriors. The land Between The Lakes, (Formerly the Land Between The Rivers), is beautiful and the air fairly crackles with the memories of times past.
A properly done movie would be wonderful and believe it or not, since he was a small guy, perhaps a role that Cruise could actually fill.
You will absolutely be amazed reading the book.

Attachments

• Jack Hinson Grave.jpg
    Jack Hinson Grave.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
RE: Jack Hinson. Probably way too PC a world to do a movie that showed him as the man he was. He'd probably be portrayed as a sweaty killer, or a screw-loose deranged rogue.
His rifle was custom-made for him to his specs. He went forth, and the only men he killed on land were the SGT, and Officer who ordered his boys killed. The rest were killed at ranges up to 1,000 yards, open sights, rested in the fork of a tree. They were passengers on riverboats transporting Union troops southward on the river, and were targeted when the boats slowed down. At the moment of the strike, the sound and smoke had dissipated, so no one on deck had a clue as to where the round had come from. he targeted mostly Union Officers.The rifle is now in the possession of a Judge in a neighboring county.
The story about his boy's heads being hung on the newell posts is apocryphal, and has not been documented, but that sort of inhuman cruelty was not uncommon.
As far as has ben documented Capt Jack was never formally in the Service of the Confederacy, was not a captain and not actually proven to have been. scout for Forrest. But it makes goo d legend, so I never argue against it.
There is a small private museum and if the curator iss till alive, he will talk endlessly about Hinson's activities.
Hinson was a local farmer, and was said to have hidden his treasure beneath a large oak tree with the assistance of his household servant. Never recovered.
He was not ever discovered, nor ever hunted down or captured, and took no wounds. His craftsmanship as a sniper is of the finest work ever.
I visited his grave with two other Tiger Force veterans, an FO, and a Platoon Leader, who lived nearby. The region is rife with history, battlefields, and families of Confederate warriors. The land Between The Lakes, (Formerly the Land Between The Rivers), is beautiful and the air fairly crackles with the memories of times past.
A properly done movie would be wonderful and believe it or not, since he was a small guy, perhaps a role that Cruise could actually fill.
You will absolutely be amazed reading the book.

----------
...at ranges up to 1,000 yards, open sights, rested in the fork of a tree...
----------

And I know guys with rifles that cost over 8K, optics, accessories and rests rounding out to similar figures, and custom made cartridges and they still cannot touch the paper at 100 yards despite the bragging and BS they be spouting off in front of others. Absolutely amazing man and amazing feats of marksmanship. Considering that some of the gunships that he took on had big enough guns and enough firepower on board to reduce entire towns to rubble within minutes.

From 2010 to 2012 I had built 3 Kentucky pattern rifles and one "Tennessee" fullstock Hawken for various folks. All percussion ignition with a No. 10 primer. Two of the Kentucky's were .50 caliber and the rest were .45's. With the exception of the barrels, which were broach rifled in 1:28" from the foundry since I don't have the tooling to rifle a barrel myself, all of the furniture was made from ground up. We took them to a range upstate which had a 600 yard stretch. I would have been even more delighted if there was a much longer piece of land to work with but I was already content to have what I had at the moment.

Respective loads and performance chart:

.50 hollowbased minie ball - 395gr.
80 grain Swiss FFFg - 1300FPS - 1482 FPE

.50 MAXI style hunting conical - 380 gr.
95 grain Swiss FFFg - 1450 FPS - 1774 FPE

.454 SAA revolver conical - 250 gr.
70 grains Swiss FFFg - 1780 FPS - 1759 FPE

.454 .45-70 conical from Lyman CAS mould - 405 gr.
70 grains Swiss FFFg - 1250 FPS - 1406 FPE

On a 55 gallon drum filled with water, all of the impacts even at 600 yards were causing the drums to "spasm" with very noticeable water displacement and spray. The energy dumps from these projectiles were absolutely immense. There is very little doubt that these rifles in the given configurations can carry lethal energy out to double that range and beyond.

That said, if they actually do make a movie on the life of this remarkable man, it will be a lesson in "self fulfilling prophecies". You want a killing machine? Keep pushing an innocent man until he has nothing left to lose. That is how you get a killing machine. If they do produce such a movie, it would be a lifelong dream come true for me. How I would love to hear another musical score as beautiful as the one from Cold Mountain, with the Reeltime Travelers' and the 26th North Carolina Regiment String Band's banjos and bluegrass twang.

----------
...at ranges up to 1,000 yards, open sights, rested in the fork of a tree...
----------

And I know guys with rifles that cost over 8K, optics, accessories and rests rounding out to similar figures, and custom made cartridges and they still cannot touch the paper at 100 yards despite the bragging and BS they be spouting off in front of others. Absolutely amazing man and amazing feats of marksmanship. Considering that some of the gunships that he took on had big enough guns and enough firepower on board to reduce entire towns to rubble within minutes.

From 2010 to 2012 I had built 3 Kentucky pattern rifles and one "Tennessee" fullstock Hawken for various folks. All percussion ignition with a No. 10 primer. Two of the Kentucky's were .50 caliber and the rest were .45's. With the exception of the barrels, which were broach rifled in 1:28" from the foundry since I don't have the tooling to rifle a barrel myself, all of the furniture was made from ground up. We took them to a range upstate which had a 600 yard stretch. I would have been even more delighted if there was a much longer piece of land to work with but I was already content to have what I had at the moment.

Respective loads and performance chart:

.50 hollowbased minie ball - 395gr.
80 grain Swiss FFFg - 1300FPS - 1482 FPE

.50 MAXI style hunting conical - 380 gr.
95 grain Swiss FFFg - 1450 FPS - 1774 FPE

.454 SAA revolver conical - 250 gr.
70 grains Swiss FFFg - 1780 FPS - 1759 FPE

.454 .45-70 conical from Lyman CAS mould - 405 gr.
70 grains Swiss FFFg - 1250 FPS - 1406 FPE

On a 55 gallon drum filled with water, all of the impacts even at 600 yards were causing the drums to "spasm" with very noticeable water displacement and spray. The energy dumps from these projectiles were absolutely immense. There is very little doubt that these rifles in the given configurations can carry lethal energy out to double that range and beyond.

That said, if they actually do make a movie on the life of this remarkable man, it will be a lesson in "self fulfilling prophecies". You want a killing machine? Keep pushing an innocent man until he has nothing left to lose. That is how you get a killing machine. If they do produce such a movie, it would be a lifelong dream come true for me. How I would love to hear another musical score as beautiful as the one from Cold Mountain, with the Reeltime Travelers' and the 26th North Carolina Regiment String Band's banjos and bluegrass twang.
That is documented in the book, and from measuring from his perch to the place where the steam boats slowed down at a choke point. read the book.