• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which muzzle brake

BOWTECHJUNKY

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
TEXAS
I would like to get a muzzle brake installed on my rem sps tac in .308. but have no clue which one to use. any help?

Re: which muzzle brake

I'd read good things about the Surefire Muzzle Break. It's the Break that I decided to go with on my new 338 Lapua build from Surgeon. I'm sure you'll get many different opinions though.

Good luck with your sps.

The Badger Thruster is a great choice for .308. I have one on my Remmy 5R and it works very well. At $60 the price is really good also!

triadtactical.com has them

Have a Badger Thruster on a 260 rem. Works Great and I think it looks good too. It's cut to the barrel conture, and just got a second one from Triadtactical to install on an other rifle.

Vais makes some called the "quite brake" that work good. Badger is a good one to. Just don't get one with holes in the bottom, they blow dirt everywhere when shooting prone.

I've used Holland's muzzle brakes with good results. Helped tame a 300 Win Mag down to below a 308's recoil (perceived), so I had one installed on my 308, but haven't got to try it out yet. Nice thing is they're small in size but on the 300 Win Mag it works big time.

Also American Precision Arms got the Fat boy brake which is extremly effective. They also sell a verison that is the same coutour of the barrel. Ive got the Fat Boy brake and the gun doesnt move when it goes off.

I have 3 from Harrell's precision. They are inexpensive and work fine for me.

Any of them that have holes in the bottom will blow dust up when you are prone.

Take that into account.

Personally, I've enjoyed the AI muzzle brakes that come on their 30 Cal barrels.

Speaking of muzzle brakes, does anybody know if the AI muzzle brakes are available for sale separately? What type of threading do they take?

the nice thing about the VAIS brakes is the fact they dont need to be timed with the barrel, just thread and screw on. And they do work, and while not as quiet as a rifle without one, it is much better then a rifle with most other brands.

Ran accross this while searching...
anyone have any experience with the Badger Thruster on a 7 mag?

i just finished a 7WSM and used a harrells brake. the first time i shot it i could not believe the lack of recoil. my 13# 308 seems to jump twice as much without a brake as the lighter 7WSM does with one. the recoil has now been replaced with noise and muzzle blast that you can actually feel in your face when you fire the rifle. i use double hearing protection and still get a headache after shooting this thing more than a couple of rounds at a time.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ran accross this while searching...
anyone have any experience with the Badger Thruster on a 7 mag? </div></div>

I've got one on a 14lb 7wsm and it is a pussycat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the cool kids in TEXAS use Tubb brakes </div></div>

Speaking of which I am waiting for my Tubb brake to get here july 10th for my DPMS 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ran accross this while searching...
anyone have any experience with the Badger Thruster on a 7 mag? </div></div>

I've got one on a 14lb 7wsm and it is a pussycat </div></div>

Thanks scout.... I'd guess the recoil between 7Mag and 7WSM is comparable?

I like the badgers look... simple and unobtrusive...

Oh, and I'm neither cool or in TX, (although I grew up there
grin.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the cool kids in TEXAS use Tubb brakes </div></div>

LOL

I'll throw this out there, I've had good experiences out of my Bennie Cooley brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger FTE </div></div>

YEP!

18May2009007.jpg

18May2009008.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks scout.... I'd guess the recoil between 7Mag and 7WSM is comparable? </div></div>

I have never shot a reg 7mm, but my 300 wsm hit the same as my buddy's 300 wm-- for whatever that's worth.

I have a 18 lb 7wsm with an FTE and the 14 lb'er with the Thruster. Both are mild as hell. The only discomfort is felt by everyone else on the line!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks scout.... I'd guess the recoil between 7Mag and 7WSM is comparable? </div></div>

I have never shot a reg 7mm, but my 300 wsm hit the same as my buddy's 300 wm-- for whatever that's worth.

I have a 18 lb 7wsm with an FTE and the 14 lb'er with the Thruster. Both are mild as hell. The only discomfort is felt by everyone else on the line! </div></div>

Thanks,
I imagine the 7mag and the 7wsm are close recoil wise....
my buddy wants me to put one on his hunting rifle....
better tell him to get electronic muffs (or similar)

How much thread space measured from the end of the barrel does the Badger FTE require? I would like to put a break on mine but have flutes out to about 1/2" from the end. FOr that matter, how much does the average break take? Thanks.

Not enough room for the FTE--or any other brake I have used.

FTE requires around 1.5"

FWIW, Check out an OPS Inc brake. Just put one on my 300 ultra, and I have no complaints

I'm pretty sure that if you try a "Fat Bastard" brake from American Precision Arms you'll forget all about the other brakes.