• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which new long range scopes are you most excited about in 2018?

Which long range scopes are you most excited about in 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    I suppose I should have clarified, this is a list of scopes that will become available in 2018 or announced in 2018, there are some great scopes launched last year but the Hide polling only allows 10 entries.

With SHOT wrapping up this week and several new scopes being displayed along with a new manufacturer that promises alpha quality, which scopes are you most excited about this year. I wanted to include the Revic PMR428 as well even though it was introduced last year, I can see these scopes picking up some steam in 2018 especially once the mil version is available.

New information has recently come out that Tangent Theta, after years of begging and pleading from the community, are going to release a new reticle, unfortunately, the Hide's poll limits you to 10 items only so unfortunately I could not include the TT in the poll but I'm assuming it would have had a lot of interest/votes as well.

For specs visit the following links:
    In the past month both Kahles and Steiner have announced new long range scopes that weren't mentioned at SHOT, not quite sure why Kahles and Steiner would not have mentioned anything at SHOT as that is typically where the buzz happens, but for whatever reason they decided to wait and have now announced what could be some real contenders in the long range market. Honorable mention goes to March with their new Genesis 6-60x56 FFP ELR scope (which is really not for this market but definitely an ELR option) and to the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II Pro (which still has no specs other than it will probably be the exact same as the existing DMR II but get the ED Prime glass treatment). Here are specs on the scopes with the Minox ZP5 5-25x56 and Vortex AMG 6-24x50 as bookends to show a comparison of specs:
    2018 New Long Range Scope Specs.png

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jailer252
    That's fantastic, thank you, you must be like a kid in a candy store when these things come in, I may have to fly out to Sacramento once you have the Kahles K318i, the ZC420 and the S&B US 3-20 MSR2 all in stock just so I can see them all together to make a decision.

Last edited:
    That's fantastic, thank you, you must be like a kid in a candy store when these things come in, I may have to fly out to Sacramento once you have the Kahles K318i, the ZC420 and the S&B US 3-20 MSR2 all in stock just so I can see them all together to make a decision.

We will be here Bill!

I'm looking forward to the sightron 4.5-24.
    It has nearly everything (no ZS) and is in my price range.
    I don't have the scratch to pay 3500-4000 for a scope.

Reactions: Ericsl2
    Not too surprised by the results so far, but it's only been a week or so that any of us have even heard of ZCO and they seem to be getting the majority of votes, that's got to be exciting for them as a brand new player but it also means there will be high expectations on their performance depending on where they settle with their pricing

Reactions: Basher
    Personally, there is no one scope that I am most excited about, but I am very interested in the shorter/lighter trend. I've been asking for that for a couple of years at least. I am going to try to put together a comparison of ZCO 4-20x50, S&B US 3-20x50, Kahles K318i and TT315M for the high end $3k round up.

On the $2k side of things, I want to look at Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 and EOTech 5-25x50, but that is not a head to head comparison.

With larger scopes, I am looking at FFP 56mm Delta Optical Stryker and SIghtron SV with considerable interest. The market is changing and $3k scopes have more to prove now that $2k stuff is getting really good.

ILya

The specs and looks of ZCO are incredible. When Jeff Huber separated from Kahles, I heard he started working on his own scope line. Is he the one developing ZCO? The turrets and reticles have a Kahles look influence and the scope body silhouette looks nightforce like. I noticed on the webpage they are out of Orofino, ID. Excited for these to come out.

Reactions: Stoweit
    The specs and looks of ZCO are incredible. When Jeff Huber separated from Kahles, I heard he started working on his own scope line. Is he the one developing ZCO? The turrets and reticles have a Kahles look influence and the scope body silhouette looks nightforce like. I noticed on the webpage they are out of Orofino, ID. Excited for these to come out.
    You are correct sir, Jeff Huber is part of the ZCO team. Exciting isn't it :)

Personally, there is no one scope that I am most excited about, but I am very interested in the shorter/lighter trend. I've been asking for that for a couple of years at least. I am going to try to put together a comparison of ZCO 4-20x50, S&B US 3-20x50, Kahles K318i and TT315M for the high end $3k round up.

On the $2k side of things, I want to look at Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 and EOTech 5-25x50, but that is not a head to head comparison.

With larger scopes, I am looking at FFP 56mm Delta Optical Stryker and SIghtron SV with considerable interest. The market is changing and $3k scopes have more to prove now that $2k stuff is getting really good.

ILya

You will save me a boatload of money if you're able to do that review of the $3k Ultra Short roundup, especially with including the TT315M as that will definitely be the one for all others to be measured against.

I agree wholeheartedly, the market is changing with the $2k range getting better and better it's putting more pressure on the $3k class, I wonder how the manufacturer's will respond, interesting times...

Reactions: Basher
    Both ZCO are at my #1, probably the 4-20x50 more so than the 5-27x56 but in a perfect world i'd like to have both if they turn out to hold their own. Which to be frank we're all expecting them to considering who's behind the company.

#2 is probably the DMR Pro. I'm really interested to see where Bushnell places this optic. The smart thing to do IMHO would be to drop the DMR II/HDMR II to 1299$ and put the DMR Pro at 1599$. Being able to grab a scope with quality tracking and that kind of glass for nearly 1500$ would shake up things a bit. I know people seem to have different results with the DMR II/HDMR II as is, and the glass isn't bad, but i'd be disappointed in my HDMR II if i had paid 1600$ for it.

#3 is the K318i, which i've been wanting Kahles to do for 2 years now. Glad it's finally hear, hopefully it can be had under 3000$

Honestly none, all brand new are out of my price range. If I had to pick:

Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50, love the G3 reticle and being that I own a 4.5-18x44 LSRTi and DMR 3.5-21x50 it’s easy to see where my loyalty is.

Next is Leupold because I want to see how these new scopes fair, the Mark 6 had an iffy release if I recall correctly.

Lastly: ZCO 4-20, why? Well as much as Frank has hyped this scope up on the podcast it’s hard not to be excited for a new company. Adam has quite the resume and track record.

Reactions: beaverpelt
    Truthfully while most (myself included) give Leupold a hard time the Mark 5 5-25x56 if it actually list at 1999$ is probably a solid deal. The features are there, with a possible negative of 35mm rings but if ARC makes them and 36mm (from my understanding) then it's a non issue. The mark 5 3-18x44 at first glance just seems like a slightly redesigned Mark 6 3-18x44, which i did not care for at all. Partially because of the M5B2 knobs and it didn't track. But the lowlight performance was disappointing though somewhat expected, the eyebox was the most finicky i've used to date, and the glass albeit good was lackluster. Leupold does still put out some of the lightest scopes out there though and that i do like. I'm interested to see the glass on the Mark 5

Nathan we need to see the DMR Pro. If that thing debuts at 1599$ with their ED glass, it's basically an XRS for 500$ less. I'd put my HDMR II up for sale pretty quickly if that's the case.

Reactions: Nathan11B
    5RWill- yes those are the concerns with Leupold. For 1999$ it seems like a good price point.

Now you’re speaking my language, my first scope was a Bushnell 1.5-4 and yes if the DMR Pro is there it’s a XRS for $1599. Oddly enough can’t find hardly anything on this scope.

5RWill- yes those are the concerns with Leupold. For 1999$ it seems like a good price point.

Now you’re speaking my language, my first scope was a Bushnell 1.5-4 and yes if the DMR Pro is there it’s a XRS for $1599. Oddly enough can’t find hardly anything on this scope.

It's basically just like the LRTS last year. Found it on a vista media outdoors PDF and little to no videos about it. Same for the XRS II never even really heard an official announcement i just happen to be squaded up with Sikes at a K&M match last spring, saw the optic, and got to look through it. Event then it doesn't seem there are many in the wild.

Most interested in the Minox ZL5 referenced in a recent thread. A lightweight version of the ZP5 at the quoted $2200 sounds too good to be true.
    I thought the ZL5 was a hunting version, shoulda paid more attention, is it actually a lightweight ffp version of the ZP5, and just the 3-15 or the 5-25 as well?

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
    I thought the ZL5 was a hunting version, shoulda paid more attention, is it actually a lightweight ffp version of the ZP5, and just the 3-15 or the 5-25 as well?

The ZL5 referenced was a FFP 5-25. Everything I know about the ZL5 is contained in the original thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/shot-show-report-day-2-minox-zl5.6869080/ that @Mute started - "Turrets and all controls are exactly the same, including optics. It will be marketed as a hunter model, but basically it's a lighter weight ZP5."

Sounds interesting

Both ZCO are at my #1, probably the 4-20x50 more so than the 5-27x56 but in a perfect world i'd like to have both if they turn out to hold their own. Which to be frank we're all expecting them to considering who's behind the company.

#2 is probably the DMR Pro. I'm really interested to see where Bushnell places this optic. The smart thing to do IMHO would be to drop the DMR II/HDMR II to 1299$ and put the DMR Pro at 1599$. Being able to grab a scope with quality tracking and that kind of glass for nearly 1500$ would shake up things a bit. I know people seem to have different results with the DMR II/HDMR II as is, and the glass isn't bad, but i'd be disappointed in my HDMR II if i had paid 1600$ for it.

#3 is the K318i, which i've been wanting Kahles to do for 2 years now. Glad it's finally hear, hopefully it can be had under 3000$

Have you found any videos or walk-throughs on the DMR Pro? A quick google search all I got was a press release that it would be revealed at SHOT.

The ZL5 referenced was a FFP 5-25. Everything I know about the ZL5 is contained in the original thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/shot-show-report-day-2-minox-zl5.6869080/ that @Mute started - "Turrets and all controls are exactly the same, including optics. It will be marketed as a hunter model, but basically it's a lighter weight ZP5."

Sounds interesting
    You know you're getting old when you can't remember threads you've posted on just days before :oops: Thanks for the reminder BP, I guess I didn't pay much attention to the info there, but now it's definitely got my attention!

Have you found any videos or walk-throughs on the DMR Pro? A quick google search all I got was a press release that it would be revealed at SHOT.

Nope haven’t seen a single video or official release. Just that vista media pdf. Haven’t even heard bushnell mention it.

Reactions: a38super
    On paper the new Kahles 318i looses agains s&b 3-20x50.. The s&b is lighter, have better field of view, more elevtion and higer top magnification.. Im a littel disappointed!

But the Kahles is a littel shorter! But if you chose the s&b 5-20x50 you get a even lighter and shorter scoope then the Kahles..

S&B 5-20x50 is my choice with a Docter red dot sight on top?

Aannerud

Attachments

• 131D55C0-1D4A-495F-B6D7-5D2A300A8698.jpeg
      131D55C0-1D4A-495F-B6D7-5D2A300A8698.jpeg
      107.9 KB · Views: 129
    • 40CFA12D-A65D-4AA8-B3D7-835B6B25DEFF.jpeg
      40CFA12D-A65D-4AA8-B3D7-835B6B25DEFF.jpeg
      147.1 KB · Views: 120
    On paper the new Kahles 318i looses agains s&b 3-20x50.. The s&b is lighter, have better field of view, more elevtion and higer top magnification.. Im a littel disappointed!

But the Kahles is a littel shorter! But if you chose the s&b 5-20x50 you get a even lighter and shorter scoope then the Kahles..

S&B 5-20x50 is my choice with a Docter red dot sight on top?

Aannerud
    This is true spec wise which is why price will play a factor. If I can get a Kahles K318i or a S&B US 3-20 for the same price I'll opt for the S&B with MSR2 or possibly the LRR-Mil reticle; however, if the Kahles ends up being $600 or more less than the S&B, and the glass on the K318i is better than previous Gen III models then it might be compelling. Same goes for the ZCO ZC420, spec wise the Schmidt is still better, but as long as the ZCO is $500 or more cheaper then it might persuade me, but if its the same price or more, then I would rather get the S&B which is already a proven design. If Schmidt was not offering the MSR2 or LRR-Mil reticles then I would be more inclined to look at Kahles and/or ZCO, but Schmidt needs to get these reticles to market and quick.

In Norway the S&B and the Kahles 318i looks to end up pretty close in price.. And yes, MSR/MSR2 is a must with the s&b;)

That’s a nice setup? Im getting my s&b us with MSR one if these days, tier-one rings with picatinny at 12 o’clock.. Docter on a QD mount, slipping it on when needed:)

Aannerud

In Norway the S&B and the Kahles 318i looks to end up pretty close in price.. And yes, MSR/MSR2 is a must with the s&b;)

That’s a nice setup? Im getting my s&b us with MSR one if these days, tier-one rings with picatinny at 12 o’clock.. Docter on a QD mount, slipping it on when needed:)

Aannerud
    You will absolutely love it, nothing quite like it that's for sure!

Found some more specs on the Schmidt & Bender Competition/Hunter 3-21x50 from ELR Researcher over at LRH

Schmidt & Bender - was showing a zebra-pattern painted (feature hiding) 3-21x50 Competition/Hunting scope with "LRH-MOA" reticle (FFP/mil and SFP/MOA models in development), 76-78 MOA elevation, illuminated, 34mm tube, single-, double-, and multi-turn with locking (double-turn with zero stop); MSRP: TDB, available between Summer and Fall; also (brochure) showed switch activated/deactivated "multi-functional turrets for elevation and windage" for what appears to be most of the current PM II models.

What caught my eye was FFP/mil! This changes things as I thought this was going to be a SFP only scope, but now I'm going to have to keep my eye out for more info. Body looks to be almost the same as their Ultra Short 3-20 but I wonder if it's going to be lighter...
    S&B CompetitionHunting 3-21x50.jpg

ILya

I'll definitely be interested in reading that $3k round up.

I'm mostly interested in the K318i from what's in the poll. Otherwise, patiently waiting for Revic to bring out their PMR in MIL.

Dave

So here's something interesting, it has been a week since the poll was put up and there have been 123 votes cast so far, I am not surprised to see Kahles near the top but I am a bit surprised to see both ZCO scopes pretty much dominating the list of "most exciting" new scopes for 2018. Granted this was not a poll of which new scopes will you be purchasing but what are you most excited about. The market is definitely changing within the industry and it's nice to see some new players at the table. ZCO in 2018, Athlon came onto the seen just a few years ago and Vortex less than a decade and a half ago, and honorable mention goes to Sig Sauer while not being a new company they are new to electro optics. This also can't be easy for new companies with such a competitive marketplace, but I think it also forces them to innovate and understand the market better which results in better products for the shooters.

I'm looking forward to the sightron 4.5-24.
    It has nearly everything (no ZS) and is in my price range.
    I don't have the scratch to pay 3500-4000 for a scope.
    Been trying to find more information on this scope and just not much out there, where did you see the price to know it is within your price range?

Can we define the question a bit better ... what does "exciting" mean? And what constitutes a "long range" scope? Because I am still pretty excited about the scopes I bought 5 plus years ago.

I can confidently say that FX1000 is the best sub $1k Scope on the market and beats several more costing more money. True zero stop, insanely good clicks, 10 MIL/ 25 MOA turrets, glass etched great reticles, great glass and lifetime warranty