• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which New Mount for AAC SDN6?

eazy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
I plan to send my AAC SDN6 to Ecco Machine to have the 51t mounting system removed, as it's increasing my group sizes. Which bravo pattern mount do you recommend, direct thread or one of the below?

I want something with a consistent POI/precision. I plan to run it on my 308 Weatherby Vanguard bolt gun (which I also plan to cut down from 24" to 16-20") and potentially on my 24" 6.5 Tikka.

I plan to run a YHM Turbo K with the Kurz kit on my 3 ARs, once approved. I have 2 YHM 4315-28A (mini phantom QD flash hiders in 1/2x28) for 2 of the ARs and an extra 5M2-QD (5.56 QD muzzle brake in 1/2x28) that will come with the Turbo K. Other than that, I don't have any other suppressors/mounts I'm married to.

Options Ecco lists:
•Area 419 Hellfire
•Dead Air DA428 Keymo
•ECCO Machine Helix port Taper Brake
•ECCO Machine Cherry Bomb pattern adapter
•Energetic Armament Thunderbeast CB Bravo adapter
•Griffin Plan A Bravo
•Griffin A2 adapter
•Rearden Atlas (Cherry Bomb Pattern)
•SilencerCo ASR Bravo
•Straight Six Tactical Cherry Bomb & Griffin taper
•Q Plan B Bravo
•Torrent QD Bravo
•YHM 3050 & 3060 QD adapters

Last edited:
Reactions: Herd Thinner
I run direct thread on bolt guns (with an Area419 adapter for one rifle dedicated to a Maverick) and Cherry Bomb mounts (or 3rd party) on most of my repeaters. Assuming your barrels are all threaded concentric to the bore & within 2B tolerances, the direct thread stuff seems like the least amount of drama in my experience. With stuff that's coming and going, I really like the Cherry Bomb tapers before the threads - they do keep clean and prevent lock up. The Cherry Bomb itself kinda sucks as a muzzle device though (it's really loud and kicks shit up, without much recoil reduction), and you have to rockset it on to ensure it doesn't unscrew with the can itself (there aren't wrench flats).

Hot take: I know it's more money, but swapping cans around sucks. Doubly so on precision bolt guns - even with quality mounting systems, great machining, etc.... I still don't really trust a can to come off one rifle and onto the next without shifting POI 100% of the time. Nirvana to me is dedicating a can to a rifle and rarely taking it off..... and in that realm I think direct thread is king. What I really want is a tapered shoulder direct thread design, with the sealing tapered surface in front of the threads themselves....

Thank you for the feedback. My wife bought me an Axis Precision Worx raptor brake for the 6.5 Tikka, so the SDN6 will likely live on the 308 Weatherby most of the time. If it's a dedicated can, should I just go direct thread, or do you think the benefit of running a muzzle device just to prevent carbon locking the threads is worth it?

Last edited:
We have a couple of AAC sdn6 cans.

The 51-T flash hider mount sucks to shoot without the can in place.
The amount of muzzle flip it generates opens my groups.

If while shooting with the can on you get groups opening up it's a simple fix.

Clean the beveled mating surface in the can. And clean / lube the ratcheting lock mechanism.

On the adapter side clean / lap with fine emory cloth the mating beveled surface.

Put your barrel in a vice facing up to work on it. See if the can locks up with some force or there is play, like it wants to almost catch the next tooth.

When lapped in it will catch the next tooth and lock in with a distinct "TWANG".

Your can on accuracy will be great from that point forward .

I am now on a list to get some of AAC's 51-T muzzle brakes to mediate muzzle flip without the can installed.

Thanks for starting this thread @easy, that list is a lot to choose from. I'm on Ecco's waiting list too for getting some AAC 762SDs fixed and am interested in options. I definitely agree with @J-Hon that dedicating a can to each barrel and leaving it on there is the way to go. I had a hell of a time this hunting season with two rifles where I was taking the cans on/off to put them into their Pelican cases. Everytime I put them back together, I was having to re-confirm my zero. Not what you want happening when spooking game out of an area is a possibility.

Dead Air KeyMo has been extremely consistent on my rifles. When locked down to the same amount of torque each time, it's never lost or shifted POI. I highly recommend it. Plus, the fact it's only made of 3 parts, and can be rebuilt in about 30 seconds at your house with no tools, is kind of a plus. 👍🏼

I'm a fan of rearden. Just moved away from keymo.

I am on their list as well. I was planning to have mine adapted for the 419 threads.

I'm a fan of rearden. Just moved away from keymo.

3VF00E4.jpg

Keymo is quick and locks up well but man it adds like 4-5oz and .75-8" compared to the Rearden. It's also expensive. Knocking a 1/4 pound off, reducing length and getting that weight closer to the muzzle was a very noticeable difference imo.

Reactions: 30calDeath
I run direct thread on bolt guns (with an Area419 adapter for one rifle dedicated to a Maverick) and Cherry Bomb mounts (or 3rd party) on most of my repeaters. Assuming your barrels are all threaded concentric to the bore & within 2B tolerances, the direct thread stuff seems like the least amount of drama in my experience. With stuff that's coming and going, I really like the Cherry Bomb tapers before the threads - they do keep clean and prevent lock up. The Cherry Bomb itself kinda sucks as a muzzle device though (it's really loud and kicks shit up, without much recoil reduction), and you have to rockset it on to ensure it doesn't unscrew with the can itself (there aren't wrench flats).

Hot take: I know it's more money, but swapping cans around sucks. Doubly so on precision bolt guns - even with quality mounting systems, great machining, etc.... I still don't really trust a can to come off one rifle and onto the next without shifting POI 100% of the time. Nirvana to me is dedicating a can to a rifle and rarely taking it off..... and in that realm I think direct thread is king. What I really want is a tapered shoulder direct thread design, with the sealing tapered surface in front of the threads themselves....
@J-Hon have you found the Q cherry bomb to be the best taper design? Repeatable POI shift? The same or better than direct thread?

Ecco quoted $65 for a cherry bomb adapter; only $5 more than the direct thread adapter. I like the idea of the taper protecting the threads from carbon locking.

Following.
I am on Ecco wait list as well to get a 7.62sdn6 cut out the 51t. Studying my mount options since I probably have 5-6 months wait.
I have a TABC Ultra 7 CB in jail. If eforms actually go live and work I may go ahead and order a Ultra 9 CB mount.
With all that, anyone using Ecco for 762sdn6 to the TABC CB mount option? Reviews?

Anyone have experience with YHM's mounts?

Looks like they utilize a taper in front of the threads, plus a tooth collar, and have wrench flats unlike the Q cherry bomb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211231-121612_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20211231-121612_YouTube.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 268
Reactions: Snuby642
Can't speak to yhm but if you're looking for a cherry bomb replacement with wrench flats the Rearden or Liberty Machine options are great.

I am a big fan of the Griffin Taper Mount, which would be the Plan "A", I believe for your purposes. I have even switched several other brand cans over to run the Plan A, and they get a lot more use now. GA sells a wide selection of brakes for the TM system, with a bunch of different thread specs. The price they charge is generally less than most of the competitors as well. They are turned on a Swiss lathe and the Nitride finish is impeccable on all the examples I have received.

I do think that your doing the right thing getting it switched out. The SDN-6 is a great sounding can and there's nothing out today that really does it a lot better, from a pure sound perspective.

Reactions: Snuby642 and eazy
I got mine made for the dead air, but had them include their cherry bomb adapter ... them guys did magic to my AACs. used my alignment rods on these and the vox TBAC adapter and Q cherry bomb and all are straight as can be

Reactions: 30calDeath
Following.
I am on Ecco wait list as well to get a 7.62sdn6 cut out the 51t. Studying my mount options since I probably have 5-6 months wait.
I have a TABC Ultra 7 CB in jail. If eforms actually go live and work I may go ahead and order a Ultra 9 CB mount.
With all that, anyone using Ecco for 762sdn6 to the TABC CB mount option? Reviews?
They also do re-cores with lighter and better baffles, too. Might be worth looking into with the SDN-6, while they already have it in there, and are cutting on it...

Also, I would wait on the Ultra9 CB... They are fixing to release a new 9" .30 caliber can called the Magnus that is SUPER quiet, and uses HUB (1.375x24) universal mount threads on the back, allowing you to use virtually any mounting system out there. I'll probably get one when they drop.

Reactions: Matagorda308
Just sent my M4-2000 in on Weds to ECCO. Can't wait to see the finished product. Decided to go with the Dead Air mounts so I can also use my Sandman-L on my AR's

Reactions: J McGriddle
I don't mean to hijack the thread but since we are on the same topic I thought I would ask.
Can - AAC SD-N 7.62
Griffin taper mount flash comp
Griffin plan A taper mount adapter for omega nomad and other 1.375x24

I am wondering being the comp is on the long side is there any issues with it in the AAC blast chamber. Also, the plan A is this the correct mount due to the 1.375x24 thread for the ecco jailbreak. Thanks for the intel.

Reactions: wyliecoyote
What's the average turnaround time on this?

I believe they have a 6 month wait right now, but I don't think you send in your suppressor until it's your turn. I think I read the work takes a couple weeks, but maybe someone else can chime in.
Correct, you write or call. You get a place in line. When it is your turn you send everything needed in for the work to be complete. As for turn around time I am not sure.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but since we are on the same topic I thought I would ask.
Can - AAC SD-N 7.62
Griffin taper mount flash comp
Griffin plan A taper mount adapter for omega nomad and other 1.375x24

I am wondering being the comp is on the long side is there any issues with it in the AAC blast chamber. Also, the plan A is this the correct mount due to the 1.375x24 thread for the ecco jailbreak. Thanks for the intel.

This is exactly what I'm thinking too when my jailbreak number comes up (same can, the AAC SD-N 7.62). Griffin has a Plan A - XL that adds an extra inch to deal with blast chambers / long compensators / long muzzle breaks. This might be the ticket if space becomes a concern.

Reactions: Herd Thinner
This is exactly what I'm thinking too when my jailbreak number comes up (same can, the AAC SD-N 7.62). Griffin has a Plan A - XL that adds an extra inch to deal with blast chambers / long compensators / long muzzle breaks. This might be the ticket if space becomes a concern.
I just got a response from ECCO and they stated that the converted SDN6 has 3" from the rear face to the blast baffle tip. So this combo the plan A or the XL mount with the Flash mount will work. The flash mounts OAL is 2.375. Hope this helps !!!!

Just hit up Ecco yesterday to do some work on an old AAC Scar H SD with the 18t Mount. Really tempted to just go DT with it. It will most likely live life as a loaner can

Reactions: Sid Post
I just got a response from ECCO and they stated that the converted SDN6 has 3" from the rear face to the blast baffle tip. So this combo the plan A or the XL mount with the Flash mount will work. The flash mounts OAL is 2.375. Hope this helps !!!!

Rearden MFG also makes XL mounts to accommodate longer brakes in the Q Plan B thread pattern (which they make as well).

Edit - meant to reply to @wyliecoyote

Just hit up Ecco yesterday to do some work on an old AAC Scar H SD with the 18t Mount. Really tempted to just go DT with it. It will most likely live life as a loaner can
Interested in what mount you plan on upgrading too and a rough idea of cost and general timeline of the modification.

For those of you that sent in your cans, how did you ship them? Does ECCO provide guidance on this or did you just chuck it in a box and insure/ship it?

I’ve never mailed a can before but I’m planning to get on the list this fall for the 762SDN6 A419 modification.

Thanks
🍻

They do give guidance for shipping.They suggest that you take it to a UPS hub or schedule a pick-up. You will need to include a copy of your Form 4.

I didnt have any issues at my UPS hub.

You should get on the list now or at least see how long it is. The last time I got on the list it was running about 14 months. I have no idea how long it is now. It’s well worth the wait!

Quicker to buy a new can at that point 😂

You should get on the list now or at least see how long it is. The last time I got on the list it was running about 14 months. I have no idea how long it is now. It’s well worth the wait!
I absolutely would (and would have done so long ago) but I’m out of the country until the end of the year. I don’t want to get on too early and then lose my position because I’m not home to send it in.

Yea I’m excited to make that hunk of trash great again.

Hey guys! Been meaning to sign up here for awhile, just don't have a lot of time for social media & bulletin boards. But I wanted to be able to answer some direct questions if anyone has them, or clear up any confusion about, well....anything.

Mods/Admins, I do not intend to cross any lines into vendor advertising territory, so please let me know if i edge too close to that at any point. I did not sign up to peddle our products and services, only to provide tech answers/info. At this time we don't have the staff to manage vendor accounts and can barely keep up as it is, so not trying to advertise.

I absolutely would (and would have done so long ago) but I’m out of the country until the end of the year. I don’t want to get on too early and then lose my position because I’m not home to send it in.

Yea I’m excited to make that hunk of trash great again.

We don't remove anyone from queues unless they ask to be removed. Unresponsive folks get moved to a separate queue, but not eighty-sixed. If you're unable to ship when the time comes, just let us know and stay in touch, we'll keep you at the top of the list until you're ready.

Another frustrating day at the range fighting the craptistic AAC 51T mount . . . I was running an OCW test and couldn't get good groups at any charge weight. Turns out the suppressor backed off it's rachet position and was flopping around on the mount. Can't wait to get these things fixed! Should be getting close on the list.

Another frustrating day at the range fighting the craptistic AAC 51T mount . . . I was running an OCW test and couldn't get good groups at any charge weight. Turns out the suppressor backed off it's rachet position and was flopping around on the mount. Can't wait to get these things fixed! Should be getting close on the list.
1.375x24 HUB threads and a KeyMo Omega mount system will make that old AAC can seem like a new one. 👍🏼

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I had my SNd6 converted a few years ago. I went with just the 1.375x24 threads and switch the adapter between Plan B omega for a cherry bomb or the EA TBAC adapter for my CB brakes. The great thing about a 1.375x24 is you have a ton of mounting options to choose from

Reactions: kthomas
Just got my cans back from ECCO Machine two weeks ago and I absolutely cannot say enough about the quality of their work! I had them converted over to 1.375x24 Griffin Armament Plan-A taper mount adapters and cerakote finished in coyote tan. They look awesome and lock up solid on every barrel now. I got on the waiting list back in November 2021, had my number come up in May, and the cans back to me in about four or five weeks including shipping. Totally worth the wait! Like they're brand new all over again.

Attachments

• cans.jpg
    cans.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 93
Just got my cans back from ECCO Machine two weeks ago and I absolutely cannot say enough about the quality of their work! I had them converted over to 1.375x24 Griffin Armament Plan-A taper mount adapters and cerakote finished in coyote tan. They look awesome and lock up solid on every barrel now. I got on the waiting list back in November 2021, had my number come up in May, and the cans back to me in about four or five weeks including shipping. Totally worth the wait! Like they're brand new all over again.
Are these SCAR-H?