• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Which NVision Product

Mbaysinger89

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
KS
Somewhat at a loss at what NVision product to be really interested in, accept all of them. Looking to upgrade to my rifle sight in the next year and need to know how poor I have to be to make it happen.

The Nox 35 looks great. Has about the perfect FOV wide enough for close in shots but enough base mag for decent range.

The Halo 25 looks like to little base mag, and the 35 maybe a little too tight for what I do, but the HaloX is about the same as the Nox. HaloX has longer detection range, not terribly important.

HaloX has video recording, Nox is helmet mountable, neither are important.

Am I missing anything?

(Edit for typos)

Last edited:
Why don’t you start by telling us what you want to do with it including terrain and quarry.

Varmints/coyotes/random shit 300 yds and in 99% of the time. Will be going on an AR as a dedicated weapon sight 99% of the time. Terrain is anything from miles upon miles of farm ground to pretty rolling country that can be 100 yards fast to 300-400 across to the other hill.

Currently have a Super Hogster and it is definately sufficient, Im actually really impressed(watched a coyote streaking in from a mile last weekend), but FOV has proven a little tight at 7.5x5.7 for the in your lap fast coyotes, but perfect for 100-150 out. Will use it for buddies going along, varminting on a 22, etc.
Also have a handheld Phenom that is about the exact fov I would want for a rifle sight and I think the picture is great.

Eventually I will have a helmet mounted for walking/scanning, but won't happen this year. NOX 35 fov seems a little tight to change to a helmet mounted scanner in a few years and find a new scope.

Dreams of the poors.

8942D5F7-10A2-421B-ACDC-45FD5E0EED5A.jpeg

Reactions: MtnGhost and MCHOG
I use a Trijicon MKII 35mm on my 243 and I scan with a Pulsar Helion XP50. I have also had a Pulsar Thermion XP50, XD75A and an XQ23V. You are definitely starting off right with a Super Hogster as they are super for the price.

FOV is too tight on the LR for my taste. Would be fine for stalking hogs, but I want more FOV for calling coyotes in the hills.

i kill a couple hundred coyotes a season and cannot say ive ever felt the fov was too tight for shooting. the base mag far out weighs any loss of fov for my terrain.

I have missed seeing coyotes who only come in for a couple seconds with my LR. But thats why i bought a nox. As i see it, it should allow me to double my numbers and lessen fatigue from looking through a mounted scope all the time. My buddy with his pvs sees more than i do half the time!

Reactions: SkyScrapin
FOV is too tight on the LR for my taste. Would be fine for stalking hogs, but I want more FOV for calling coyotes in the hills.
I started with a halo lr and switched to a super hogster. The super hogster was supposed to just get me by until I got a tig ir clip on but it’s been more than that. The super hogster has been far more reliable and put a lot more coyotes in the truck for me. I would look into a traditional hogster I believe the base mag is lower and the fov is greater. I have heard the super hogster picture is better when zoomed but in base mag the traditional hogster picture is equal. I wouldn’t trade my hogster for 2 halos

I started with a halo lr and switched to a super hogster. The super hogster was supposed to just get me by until I got a tig ir clip on but it’s been more than that. The super hogster has been far more reliable and put a lot more coyotes in the truck for me. I would look into a traditional hogster I believe the base mag is lower and the fov is greater. I have heard the super hogster picture is better when zoomed but in base mag the traditional hogster picture is equal. I wouldn’t trade my hogster for 2 halos
You hunt tight areas or cover?

You hunt tight areas or cover?
Not typically, I can get as close to or far away from cover as needed. Most of the spots I choose to hunt have a 100 yard or better window from cover or I pass them up.

Reactions: Jgunner
Reliable in what way? What’s unreliable about a halo?

Reliable in what way? What’s unreliable about a halo?
Lost its zero constantly, zoom was unusable as it raised the point of aim tremendously. Didn’t hardly need to zoom as the base mag was almost always sufficient but a scope that can’t hold zero doesn’t have a place for me.

I never heard of Halo-LR zoom changing the point of aim. I'm pretty sure this problem was _never_ reported to N-Vision Optics' customer service. Zero questions - there was another thread on this forum, but considering how long nobody was interested in it, your experience here seems to be very unusual too.

I never heard of Halo-LR zoom changing the point of aim. I'm pretty sure this problem was _never_ reported to N-Vision Optics' customer service. Zero questions - there was another thread on this forum, but considering how long nobody was interested in it, your experience here seems to be very unusual too.
Makes perfects sense why I didn’t didn’t get any help with the issues and validates why I sold it. When the guy you talk to on the phone “you” blows it off. Your exact response was, hmmm never heard of such, can talk with the guys and see. Point is, the OP wants to know what NVision scope to buy and I wouldn’t recommend any to him after owning one. This is my personal suggestion to him and the lack of comments on my post means nothing to the reliability of your product I owned.

Reactions: 324matt
given the amount of them in user hands for the length of time they've been in those hands i would think that problem would be widely known if it existed. i have likely over a thousand rounds on my halo between various platforms and calibers and never seen the issue you described. maybe you should have given nvision, whom is one of the only active thermal mfg that frequent these boards and and everyone has access to discuss issues openly with, a chance to fix or test your thermal? or were you dick kind of like you're being now about it?

It's a bizarre story. Please, if you are in contact with the person to whom you sold your Halo-LR, and this person still has any performance issues, have him contact us. I would be very interested to see what is going on with this scope and promise to report our findings here.

given the amount of them in user hands for the length of time they've been in those hands i would think that problem would be widely known if it existed. i have likely over a thousand rounds on my halo between various platforms and calibers and never seen the issue you described. maybe you should have given nvision, whom is one of the only active thermal mfg that frequent these boards and and everyone has access to discuss issues openly with, a chance to fix or test your thermal? or were you dick kind of like you're being now about it?
Fan boys gonna hate. Of course I contacted them directly right away. They dropped the ball on it and blew it off just as you are doing by comparing your scope to mine. I am glad you love yours and other people are liking theirs. I didn’t have the same experience with customer service or results on reliability. Can I have a different opinion than you, or is that not allowed Joe? I just wanted to share my experience with the OP.

Fan boys gonna hate. Of course I contacted them directly right away. They dropped the ball on it and blew it off just as you are doing by comparing your scope to mine. I am glad you love yours and other people are liking theirs. I didn’t have the same experience with customer service or results on reliability. Can I have a different opinion than you, or is that not allowed Joe? I just wanted to share my experience with the OP.
Hell yeah it is. i'm not a fan boy of anyone or anything and never have been. if something sucks well then it sucks and every company can have a bad product, model or unit but..... what you're describing isn't something anyone else that i know of has had happen. the internet is there for everyone to whine and plenty would do it if it was happening. curious as to why you wouldn't have taken max up on repairing it or sending it in or did i miss where you said you did that and they weren't able to repair or replicate your condition? you almost sound like a dude that would trip balls and demand a brand new replacement unit or nothing type but i could be wrong. i would also wonder if you disclosed to the new proud owner of your halo as to it having issues and he would want to send it in to nvision since they just wouldnt work with you on it? did ya get working functioning price from it or did you sell it discounted since it wouldnt hold zero? did new owner ever message ya back saying hey it holds zero fine for me or hey it doesnt hold zero for me either or hey i sent it in and they repaired it? just curious how this went down....

Reactions: mikefraz
Hell yeah it is. i'm not a fan boy of anyone or anything and never have been. if something sucks well then it sucks and every company can have a bad product, model or unit but..... what you're describing isn't something anyone else that i know of has had happen. the internet is there for everyone to whine and plenty would do it if it was happening. curious as to why you wouldn't have taken max up on repairing it or sending it in or did i miss where you said you did that and they weren't able to repair or replicate your condition? you almost sound like a dude that would trip balls and demand a brand new replacement unit or nothing type but i could be wrong. i would also wonder if you disclosed to the new proud owner of your halo as to it having issues and he would want to send it in to nvision since they just wouldnt work with you on it? did ya get working functioning price from it or did you sell it discounted since it wouldnt hold zero? did new owner ever message ya back saying hey it holds zero fine for me or hey it doesnt hold zero for me either or hey i sent it in and they repaired it? just curious how this went down....
I am the type of dude that went straight to the company who said no such problem has existed and didn’t get back to me and was told the lose of zero had everything to do with external battery packs and the scope was flawless, just like how you are telling me yours and everyone else’s is. So I sold the scope as you and the company are stating all of them are, flawless. I am not gonna argue back and forth over it and sold this flawless scope because it wasn’t for me. Go back to telling people how many coyotes you shot and contradicting there experiences I am done here. PS I kept the battery pack that was causing the constant loss of zero and it works wonders on a hogster.

about what i figured...

i"ll keep on killin tons of coyotes and tellin everyone about it with my contradicting zero holding halo. (y)

Reactions: Jgunner
I am the type of dude that went straight to the company who said no such problem has existed and didn’t get back to me and was told the lose of zero had everything to do with external battery packs and the scope was flawless, just like how you are telling me yours and everyone else’s is. So I sold the scope as you and the company are stating all of them are, flawless. I am not gonna argue back and forth over it and sold this flawless scope because it wasn’t for me. Go back to telling people how many coyotes you shot and contradicting there experiences I am done here. PS I kept the battery pack that was causing the constant loss of zero and it works wonders on a hogster.
So let me get this straight...

1.Your halo has problems holding zero.
2. You are certain the scope is defective.
3. You list the scope for sale in the classifieds on the hide with absolutely no mention of issues or problems holding zero.

Conclusion: Scumbag

After all the above I'll throw in my 2 cents as I've had a few units...

I don't care what you buy (thermals, scopes, rifles, gadgets, gizmos, etc etc) stuff is going to break if you use it.

I have had two different 25mm Halo units, and three different Halo LR units.

I've had to deal with NVision customer service a couple times unfortunately.

I've also dealt with Trijicon, flir, pulsar, and ATN customer service because somehow I break every damn thing...

after all the above I'll buy another NVision first...

So let me get this straight...

1.Your halo has problems holding zero.
2. You are certain the scope is defective.
3. You list the scope for sale in the classifieds on the hide with absolutely no mention of issues or problems holding zero.

Conclusion: Scumbag
That has got to be some kind of code of conduct violation. Pretty crappy move. Would love for the new owner of this thermal to pop in with his findings.

That has got to be some kind of code of conduct violation. Pretty crappy move. Would love for the new owner of this thermal to pop in with his findings.
You guys seem to have lost the point of the OP thread in the tears your shedding over my opinion on the halo. So what NV product is it that you recommend to the OP, I don’t see that in your post. You’re gonna sit here and try make me look like some kind of ass cause I didn’t trust the zero on my halo? You ever changed the zero on a scope before? You document that so you can tell the new owner each match or hunting season you changed the zero? Give me a break you girls, you know damn well it’s not the first time a halo or any scope for that matter lost its zero. The fact that you play off the finding of certain battery packs on other units causing this very issue and pretend like its never happened shows who the real bad characters are, and it isn't me.

Last edited:
There's supposed to be a Super Duper hogster coming out this summer, So it might be worth waiting to see what specs it has before buying anything.
The 640 res clip on that's being tested now looks pretty amazing and I'm told it should be on Par or even better than the Phenom you already have experience with.

Reactions: Rfeldhaus
I would highly recommend getting a pvs 14 here on the hide used for a good deal and then picking up a perst 4 laser. This set up will be way more versatile than a dedicated sight and at close ranges will be almost as good. The plus side is that you can move around in the dark a lot easier with it.

There's supposed to be a Super Duper hogster coming out this summer, So it might be worth waiting to see what specs it has before buying anything.
The 640 res clip on that's being tested now looks pretty amazing and I'm told it should be on Par or even better than the Phenom you already have experience with.
Infiray USA just started to release the first of there offerings. Things look promising, warranty is superior to anything else out there, finally someone besides pulsar was smart enough to put a good rechargeable battery in a scope, no more wires and outrageous cr123s. If you like to record sound and video you won’t have to be out in the field with multiple contraptions on your rifle. I have heard the factory mount is geared toward a bolt action rifle. About time someone finally figured that out, and for all the guys down South they are right in your back yard of Texas.

You guys seem to have lost the point of the OP thread in the tears your shedding over my opinion on the halo. So what NV product is it that you recommend to the OP, I don’t see that in your post. You’re gonna sit here and try make me look like some kind of ass cause I didn’t trust the zero on my halo? You ever changed the zero on a scope before? You document that so you can tell the new owner each match or hunting season you changed the zero? Give me a break you girls, you know damn well it’s not the first time a halo or any scope for that matter lost its zero. The fact that you play off the finding of certain battery packs on other units causing this very issue and pretend like its never happened shows who the real bad characters are, and it isn't me.
To the op, buy a halo lr.

To rfeldhaus:

You say your halo wouldnt hold zero, you say nvision didnt take care of the issue. You listed the scope for sale on snipers hide without mentioning the issue. That makes you a scumbag, and its really not debatable. The fact that you don’t think you did anything wrong is the crazy part.

you knowingly sold a defective product without disclosing the issue, pretty black and white.

To rfeldhaus:

You say your halo wouldnt hold zero, you say nvision didnt take care of the issue. You listed the scope for sale on snipers hide without mentioning the issue. That makes you a scumbag, and its really not debatable. The fact that you don’t think you did anything wrong is the crazy part.

you knowingly sold a defective product without disclosing the issue, pretty black and white.
You should read before spouting off. The OP already stated the halo lr does not fit his needs. Also make note of how many times I stated the battery pack caused the issue with the halo zero along with many others. I have no place for a scope I can’t reliably use a battery pack on. Quit skipping half the facts to try force your point and ruin the OP’S thread over your sensitive closed minded view.

You should read before spouting off. The OP already stated the halo lr does not fit his needs. Also make note of how many times I stated the battery pack caused the issue with the halo zero along with many others. I have no place for a scope I can’t reliably use a battery pack on. Quit skipping half the facts to try force your point and ruin the OP’S thread over your sensitive closed minded view.
Did you tell the buyer it wouldn't hold zero when using (as you stated) a perfectly good battery pack?

You can't say the scope was junk, AND say it was fine...based on your desired outcome. (i.e., promote different brand, or sell your scope)

Reactions: Killswitch Engage

To rfeldhaus:

rfeldhaus probably likes Leupold scopes too !!!!!!!
The Iray scopes look good and there's a recent review on Utube, but I have never seen or used one.
Bering super Hog has a 4 year warranty. 4 better than 3.
I agree about the 123 batteries, carrying around a battery pack and dealing with the wires.
That's why I bought a Thermion and 4 batteries.

Hahaha,

Step 1: Deflect

Step 2: Deny

Step 3: Attack

Looks like you have a little practice at this being an asshole thing.

Reactions: Killswitch Engage
Prob nothing wrong with it.

so going out last night with a halo lr, a nox 18mm and a pvs-14 with a dbal-d2.

i was running the nox on a bump, i spotted a pack of coyotes at 600+ yards, it was cold, windy but raining a little. So not ideal thermal conditions.

when i spotted them they were in a bare field, farmer didn’t use this plot this year, but the two adjoining plots had something short growing in them, so nothing to block my view. They were faint at unknown distances but there was 2 that were closer but not close enough for shots. They were hung up around 300 yards and went around us to wind us. It was blowing 5-20 sporadically.

once spotted at 500 yards my buddy with a pvs-14 could find them with his illuminator, but not detect them before me. It was a moonless night when we were out. I could see mice at 100 yards and a rabbit at 300 easily.

this is where some base magnification comes in handy. At unknown distance seeing a rabbit at 300 could be a coyote or fox at longer range, hopping on the halo allowed me to tell what it was over the nox. In thicker cover this would be even harder if anything was obscured.

if i needed a 1 and done optic (in the narrow selection of gear i personally have used) i would say a nox 18mm is a kickass option. Can be helmet mounted and then weapon mounted all within a few seconds if your dexterity is decent(no gloves). It allows things to be seen at distance but also has magnification and is a small package.